Gun recommendation

Work2hunt

Veteran member
Mar 2, 2013
St. Louis, MO
So I believe I have the caliber of my next gun picked out, but I would like some recommendations on brand of gun. I've been leaning towards another Tikka or Sako, but thought I would see what else is on the market that you fellow forum members would recommend that maybe I have not checked out. Would like to keep the cost of the gun under $2k.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I have a Tikka and like it a lot. I have a buddy that has had a couple Sako's and he likes them a lot. I would agree either would be a good choice.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
Is your 2k budget rifle only or the total package? I have a couple Tikka's, for the money, very tough to beat. I've handled and shot a couple Sako's, excellent guns and arguably a step or so above a Tikka.

If you have not looked already, Browning makes some very interesting rifles these days. I've had the older A-bolts, good guns, and helped a buddy sight in the newer x-bolt, it was scary accurate. They have some of their speciality hunting rifles basically modified to be semi-custom and set up for Western LR hunting. I think they are closer to Sako's prices.

If the 2k is rifle only, NW Action works has a base custom rifle for $1,800. It appears to be quite a bit of rifle for the $. Their PMR Hunter has a trued Rem 700 ADL style action, Shilen SS barrel and a HS Presicion stock, etc. BDL bottom metal adds $100. They offer a 1/2 moa guarantee. Don't know much about them, but may be worth a look for a semi-custom outfit.

HiMtnHnter

Sep 28, 2012
Wyoming
I've been very pleased over the years with my Sako. As far as accuracy goes, not much difference between Tikka and Sako, as I've shot and reloaded for both in the same caliber. I do like the components and design of the Sako over the Tikka.

droptine

May 19, 2014
Minnesota
How far do you plan on shooting?? The reason I ask is because just about any production rifle off the shelf, should shoot decent up to 500 yds, or made to if you handload.
I used to beat my brain out about needing a custom rifle but all four of my brownings will hit a 6" plate at 500 yds. Probably better if I did my part.
With that being said, if I had one gun to pick, it would be an x-bolt western hunter in 300 wsm.

Work2hunt

Veteran member
Mar 2, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Is your 2k budget rifle only or the total package? I have a couple Tikka's, for the money, very tough to beat. I've handled and shot a couple Sako's, excellent guns and arguably a step or so above a Tikka.

If you have not looked already, Browning makes some very interesting rifles these days. I've had the older A-bolts, good guns, and helped a buddy sight in the newer x-bolt, it was scary accurate. They have some of their speciality hunting rifles basically modified to be semi-custom and set up for Western LR hunting. I think they are closer to Sako's prices.

If the 2k is rifle only, NW Action works has a base custom rifle for $1,800. It appears to be quite a bit of rifle for the $. Their PMR Hunter has a trued Rem 700 ADL style action, Shilen SS barrel and a HS Presicion stock, etc. BDL bottom metal adds $100. They offer a 1/2 moa guarantee. Don't know much about them, but may be worth a look for a semi-custom outfit.
$2k is my budget for the gun.

I'll check into NW Action Works.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Just my 2 sense as I went this route just recently with getting the kid a grad present rifle. With 2k you got some very solid options with many different directions to go. When I ended up doing the math and was trying to get sub MOA results, we went the route of 1) Rem 700 CDL off of Gunbroker( very cheap) 2) Had it blue printed 3) Barrel and bolt fluted 4) High end aluminium bedded stock.

All that was for roughly 2200$ and he pretty much has a custom rifle that normally sells in the 5k range . That was in 270 with a short barrell.

If you are looking for off the shelf and a 1" shooter I think most all major brands do it with the correct hand load these days. We are a 700 family so I have no experience in any other brand. We go that route due to the many options available.

Alaskabound2016

Oct 14, 2015
Colorado Springs
I wouldn't rule out the X-Bolt either. Everything I have read and heard from others say it is a awesome rifle and very accurate. I will be purchasing the Hells Canyon Speed version in 300 Win mag. Comes with a cerakote finish and removable brake and magazine. All for less than $1100 from places like Bass pro or others.

Work2hunt

Veteran member
Mar 2, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I wouldn't rule out the X-Bolt either. Everything I have read and heard from others say it is a awesome rifle and very accurate. I will be purchasing the Hells Canyon Speed version in 300 Win mag. Comes with a cerakote finish and removable brake and magazine. All for less than $1100 from places like Bass pro or others.
I was just looking at this one last night and I liked the options for the price. I like the options of a brake and detachable magazine.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
I really like the x-bolts as well. They are light, around 6.5 lbs. Magazine sits flush with stock. Short bolt throw. The composite stocks are great. I love the tang safety. Only knock I have against them is the 26" barrels they put on their magnums.