Gravity water Filter: Sawyer vs Platypus?

Bughalli

Jan 15, 2012
I might try a Gravity filter for backpack hunts this year. Many of the guys I respect in the hunting media who focus on backpack hunts are using them. Some use Sawyer and others Platypus. Do you guys have a preference? Pros/cons? You using the 2ltr or 4ltr? Are there differences in tips or connectors that impact functionality?

I'm leaning towards 4ltr Platypus for these reasons:
- lighter weight (if I recall around 7oz lighter)
- clear bags (I like to see what's in them and if they're getting moldy over time)
- bigger top opening in the dirty bag, which should be much easier to fill. But does it stay shut?
- bigger top opening makes it easier to dry after trip

Both are on sale at REI and EMS for Memorial Day...if not on sale, they offer a 20% off coupon.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
I haven't used a gravity bag, but I have been using the Sawyer filters and filtering into a Platypus Big Zip. I really like the large opening in the Big Zip for filling but MOSTLY for cleaning. You can get your hand in the bag to clean it up.

mntnguide

Very Active Member
The sawyer mini-filter can be hooked right into your existing camelback bag/or any hydration bag w/ hose. So for filling up on the go when you want to keep moving...its awesome. The water filters right through the filter in-line as you drink it. You can take it off quick and easy to use it for gravity filling other bags as well. Its a pretty slick little filter and weighs nothing.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
The sawyer mini-filter can be hooked right into your existing camelback bag/or any hydration bag w/ hose. So for filling up on the go when you want to keep moving...its awesome. The water filters right through the filter in-line as you drink it. You can take it off quick and easy to use it for gravity filling other bags as well. Its a pretty slick little filter and weighs nothing.
I've been wondering about that mntnguide, great tip!

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
This is similar to what I'm planning on doing this year. Pretty sure I'll be getting a mini with some quick adapters, but will still have a dirty bag and squeeze the dirty bag water into my other hydration pack through the drinking tube. This will allow me to carry 8 liters of water if I want to with the ability to filter as much as I want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdddoRwGlfU

This is what I'm going to do, but will have adapters on both bladders instead of using their bags they provide. Best thing is not having to take my bladder out all the time and can just peak in and see how full I"m getting, but by using the same size bladders that shouldn't be much of an issue

laxwyo

Very Active Member
Maybe I just got a bogus sawyer mini but it wouldn't filter for crap. It'd take me probably 25 minutes to do 20 oz of water while squeezing the bag as hard as I could. I even tried back flushes. Any one else have those issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

87TT

Very Active Member
Apr 23, 2013
Idaho
I have the platypus 2litter and used it last Oct for a week. It was the bomb. I'll never go back to a pump. It works like a dream. You fill up the dirty bag and roll down the top. You can just hang it up and let it go to work while you do other stuff. It's fast too. You sometimes have to play with it to get the air out of the lines or back flush it. Overall it was way easier and faster than my Msr pump any day and not near as messy. That is I didn't get wet when the relief valve spits like the pump.

87TT

Very Active Member
Apr 23, 2013
Idaho
Another thing I liked about the platypus was on the dirty bag, the whole top opened up and you just dipped it like a bucket.

Bughalli

Jan 15, 2012
My use is purely for multiday backpack hunts. I still need to get my hands on one in a store, but given you can buy replacement bags vs the full system, I may mix and match items. Like go with a 4ltr dirty bag and two 2 liter clean bags. This way the total volume still matches up, but now I can carry a 2ltr bag during the day hunts, leaving the other 2ltrs at camp. Otherwise if I wanted to carry water in the clean bag for a day hunt I would need to bring all 4ltrs or bring extra bags. I'm probably over-thinking it. So far everything points me towards Platypus.

JMSZ

Sep 5, 2012
I've got the Sawyer with the 4 liter bag and I love it. I made up a hose with connectors to adapt to my Camelbaks, so I carry two 100oz and the 4 liter bag. I fill up the 4 liter bag and run it straight into the Camelbaks.

Once you get it going, it's great and really doesn't take that long.

I haven't seen the Platypus, I've only read about them a few times, so I can't speak to those.

87TT

Very Active Member
Apr 23, 2013
Idaho
To save space, you can just use the 2 liter dirty bag and fill it twice to fill two clean bags. That's what I do. Just a thought.