Getting things ready for your seasons.

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
Local things are in good order. On my place I have my main food plot in great shape with clover and planted another area in winter wheat. The feeder is up and running as well. Feeder is a good ways from the stand in the timber about 150 yards. I don't like sitting over a feeder. Only issue is with all the rain the river is way up and has pushed hogs on my place. My son went out and shot one the other night. They are still tearing up my fields. Most of the time when you start shooting at them they leave the area. I really enjoy getting the place ready. My son likes to hunt out of the box stand. Funny thing is I would rather scout and find the deer. I mainly hunt public land out of a climber or lock on stand. To kill the good ones I think you have to find them and go to them. Not saying you can't bring them to you, but that is just the way I enjoy to hunt.

Wyoming hunt October 15th. I have everything packed and ready to load. Looking to kill a good mule deer this season. Have done a lot of map scouting and have a plan to pack in several miles and set up spike camp. It is going to be a tough hunt and will test my tender feet. I have been walking since mid June and have logged close to 130 miles to date. Also have any antelope tag and hope to kill a good one. Should have 10 to 11 days to get it done.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Local things are in good order. On my place I have my main food plot in great shape with clover and planted another area in winter wheat. The feeder is up and running as well. Feeder is a good ways from the stand in the timber about 150 yards. I don't like sitting over a feeder. Only issue is with all the rain the river is way up and has pushed hogs on my place. My son went out and shot one the other night. They are still tearing up my fields. Most of the time when you start shooting at them they leave the area. I really enjoy getting the place ready. My son likes to hunt out of the box stand. Funny thing is I would rather scout and find the deer. I mainly hunt public land out of a climber or lock on stand. To kill the good ones I think you have to find them and go to them. Not saying you can't bring them to you, but that is just the way I enjoy to hunt.

Wyoming hunt October 15th. I have everything packed and ready to load. Looking to kill a good mule deer this season. Have done a lot of map scouting and have a plan to pack in several miles and set up spike camp. It is going to be a tough hunt and will test my tender feet. I have been walking since mid June and have logged close to 130 miles to date. Also have any antelope tag and hope to kill a good one. Should have 10 to 11 days to get it done.
Good luck. I too am hoping to head to WY on October 15th. :)

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I am packed and ready to head to Wyoming October 9th for deer and elk. We had a calm cool morning yesterday so I took the opportunity to shoot longer range. I shot my best 3 shot, 500 yard, group of the year - 4.1". It's not amazing but I am confident to that range under calm conditions. Nothing left to do but practice another time or two and then wait.

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
I am packed and ready to head to Wyoming October 9th for deer and elk. We had a calm cool morning yesterday so I took the opportunity to shoot longer range. I shot my best 3 shot, 500 yard, group of the year - 4.1". It's not amazing but I am confident to that range under calm conditions. Nothing left to do but practice another time or two and then wait.
4.1 inch group at 500 yards I would be very happy with that.
I checked my 270 and still 1.75" high at 100 yards nice tight group inside an inch. only place I can shoot up to 300 yards is on my place and I don't like to target shoot out there. I will shoot longer distance when I get out to Gods country.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
One point of interest- The difference in impact at my current elevation/temp vs 9k feet at 50 degrees is substantial. With a 200 yard zero, my drop at home is -59.2". At 9k elevation, it is -50.6". (At 500 yards)

Last edited:

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
I'm way behind on archery practice. Been spending all my time working on the cabin. After this weekend we will be "done enough" for hunting season and start putting all my focus into getting tree stands ready and getting more shooting time in. No trips out of state this year for me.

Reactions: gonhunting247

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
been so busy at work this year that I really haven't given hunting much thought yet. didn't draw any tags and area I generally hunt is on fire so... I will probably just wing it and hope for the best. good news is tag soup will go well with my already full freezer.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
One point of interest- The difference in impact at my current elevation/temp vs 9k feet at 50 degrees is substantial. With a 200 yard zero, my drop at home is -59.2". At 9k elevation, it is -50.6". (At 500 yards)
Glad you are looking at this. It may sound like a lot, but honestly elevation affects things less than Barometric pressure and humidity. IMHO
If you have a 'shooting' app, play with the different variables and one can see what effects make the biggest impact and to what degree.
I'm a numbers guy so I find this stuff interesting. My home range is 700 yards. Shooting <4" groups.

Reactions: Hilltop

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
My son just left yesterday after a month at home. He owns his own trucking business and was in a huge accident in Tennessee (over 40 vehicles involved) and his truck is finally repaired. I can get back to some things I need to do to get ready for my trip to Wyoming with Hilltop and NE69. Going to the range tomorrow to check my zero and do a little shooting. Treated my boots and replaced the battery in my rangerfinder......small and mundane tasks, but necessary. My list is getting shorter!

Good luck to everyone!

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Glad you are looking at this. It may sound like a lot, but honestly elevation affects things less than Barometric pressure and humidity. IMHO
If you have a 'shooting' app, play with the different variables and one can see what effects make the biggest impact and to what degree.
I'm a numbers guy so I find this stuff interesting. My home range is 700 yards. Shooting <4" groups.
That's some good shooting! The differences in point of impact under different conditions is what keeps me from shooting further than 500 yards. I honestly limit myself to 400 unless conditions are very good. Question, does anyone use a shooting app in the field? I don't even care for the dial turrets - I use a B&C reticle scope as I don't want to have to mess with anything at the time of the shot.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
After using ballistic turrets for quite a few years on all of my hunting rifles, one of the downsides is imo the need for 2 people to efficiently use the system in a timely manner. One person using the range finder and the shooter doing the adjustments. If the shooter has to use the rangefinder and make the setting, it adds another step for the shooter and does take more time and the chance of losing concentration on the animal.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Honestly, It's not that difficult. I simply make the adjustment in my app based on my hunt area and print a small pc of paper that I tape to my gun butt stock. Range, Dial, and shoot!
Only added step is the dial which is only 2 seconds and that is if a shot is longer than 300 yards. Further than 300, you probably have the time.
My scope also has the BDC drop for quick use as well. You really only need to remember a few numbers 300=x 400=x 500=x
If you don't have the time or are not comfortable taking the shot, then you should not attempt to take it. My guys are hunting alone at times and must range and shoot by themselves so you're not really losing much time.
But the turret with the built in BDC gives you options if only taking a shot your zero'd at, use the BCD marks (relatively accurate), or adjust turret to exact yardage.
I'm still learning, but this has been my experience as I've excelled in LRS the past few years with limited field time.
Just my $0.02

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Meh, I cant hit anything past 200 yards anyhow so I guess I have nothing to contribute to the MOA debate....

I just hide behind a flamingo decoy and move closer...lol

T-Minus 18 hours and I am heading through the eye of a hurricane (Literally from the looks of things) for Colorado.... See-y'all on the flip side.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Meh, I cant hit anything past 200 yards anyhow so I guess I have nothing to contribute to the MOA debate....

I just hide behind a flamingo decoy and move closer...lol

T-Minus 18 hours and I am heading through the eye of a hurricane (Literally from the looks of things) for Colorado.... See-y'all on the flip side.
Good luck! Remind me, Archery Elk?

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
We just had opening of archery (with xbow) - had a little one duck the arrow at 30 yds from a 350 fps xbow. They are quick.

Was trying to get dad on one or two and he saw 0. I saw 4 at 150 yds, 1 at 30, and 4-6+ at 250 yds. They clearcut the place so more like hunting out west this year. Put a camera on an inside corner and had 7 deer in there at one time - wasn't able to get in there the next morning, so they'll have to wait.

Waiting until we get cooler weather before we go back up. 90 degrees last weekend. Hurricane Sally should basically drown the lease, so a delay in visiting is fine w me.