Getting a little antsy!

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
After a years planning, it's almost time. In 3 weeks my wife and I will be in Alaska for 28 days. Have already booked several fishing trips and a clam dig for Northern Razors. Staying at Soldotna in a cabin and look forward to seeing some friends. We are also going on a rafting trip.

One more thing off my bucket list.

LCH

Very Active Member
Jun 28, 2015
Southern Indiana
That's awesome! I'll be in SE AK in just under 2 weeks, would love to visit the that area as well some day. Be safe and take lots of photos!

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
good for you, I learned to row boats on that river. I lived in cooper landing in the early 90's and had a ball there.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
same mountain in the background. one pic is from the deck of my place , my place is the little shabin in the corner of the other pic. The mountain is Cecil Rhode mountain.

When I was raft guiding, I went to work and they kicked me out for the day. I went home and grabbed my bike. It took me 4 hours to carry my bike to the top, I then road my bike down the side of the mountain. this was in 1993.
when you are there, look up at it and you can see how stupid I am. I also did the same thing in slaughter gulch, which is another cooper landing mountain, opposite side of the river.

Attachments

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
Yep, been up there many times. Great place to vacation with some fishing thrown in. Have a fun time and post some pictures.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
The jumbo fried prawns at Louie's Restaurant in Kenai were excellent when we were there (2010). The chowder was great as well.

We caught about 100 razor clams at Clam Gulch. There are some excellent videos on YouTube of how to clean them. They are far easier to clean than most of the bay clams we get here in Oregon.

I'd love to go back an fish the sockeye run again.

Last edited:

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I am putting Louie's on my list of where to eat. The F & G has closed all the beachs for clamming on the east side of the bay (all the west facing ones) because of over harvesting. We are going across the bay 15 or 20 miles to another area open to clamming only accessible by boat. No limit there and the boat owner says we can get as many as we can dig during the minus tide.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
I am putting Louie's on my list of where to eat. The F & G has closed all the beachs for clamming on the east side of the bay (all the west facing ones) because of over harvesting. We are going across the bay 15 or 20 miles to another area open to clamming only accessible by boat. No limit there and the boat owner says we can get as many as we can dig during the minus tide.
Oh perfect. I hope they have clam guns that have a vent down the side. It sure would help when lifting the clam gun so you don't have to break the suction by brute force.

Probably the highlight of our trip was a one day (fly in and out the same day) salmon trip with Alaska Air West located very near to where you will be. The float plane portion was half the fun, as was landing on one float on a curved piece of river.

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
Hope you have a great trip CC. I love it up there. I'll be headed up at the end of the month too!