GETTIN OLD.......

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I think that one of the best compliments someone has said about me was while I was in South Africa. After a long day of hunting my PH who was in his early 40's told me that he hopes that he is in as good of shape as I am, just before I turned 62 on the safari

DH56

Jan 17, 2014
Northern, Ohio
I'm turning 63 later this year, after hunting in Wyoming this October, I'll let you all know how good of shape I am in-lol. I know I won't be able to do what I use to do when I hunted it just about every year in my late 30's to the early 50's and , but my lower back is no where in the shape it was back then, and I am sure my legs will be tested. No major surgery yet on any "parts" yet, but my eyesight and ears are no where near what they use to be. I'm sure my body will pay the price.

My buddy that is going with me is about 13 years younger but had tendon surgery in his shooting arm about a month ago. He's concerned he won't be 100% by then, but I told him I will help as much as possible in getting him an opportunity, since it's his 1st time hunting out West. This trip is mainly to show him what the West is all about and hope he has a good time enjoying the country.

Reactions: dirtclod Az.

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
It looks like a bunch of us are in the same boat! I'm 65 in October, with 5 knee surgeries and a shoulder surgery, so far. I'm still getting out there, but not near as fast and as far as I used to.
Hang tough C.C., you're a younger 77 than anyone I've ever met!

WY ME

Very Active Member
Feb 4, 2014
Wyoming
My dad had neck surgery in the 1980's and it has bothered him ever since, he's now 85. He killed his first moose at 80. It is also his only B&C animal. I just got back from fishing in Alaska and one fella was 85 years young and planning his next trip in 2020. I'd say you're not done yet.

Mr Drysdale

Mar 24, 2013
I am basically a 62 year old flat lander, but Elk hunted out West in 2017 with a great group of guys. We killed five Elk on that trip and I helped pack out each one. I was home two weeks and had a Gallbladder attack. Had it removed. I had pain in my right hip the whole time I was there but had never had it checked. I had a total replacement in September 2018 and was back in the tree stand bow hunting in three weeks. It’s amazing what that can do now. But, now I need shoulder surgery. I’m going to keep going as long as I can. CC you are my inspiration!

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
my dad passed last year . after seeing what he went through the last 25 years of his life , I pray every night to be blessed with an early demise.

better to die at 20 then live past 60

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
After my last session of pt , I suddenly realized that I am going to have a problem shooting offhand. I shoot lefty and my right arm supports the rifle fore end. I tried it and can't hold it steady. I have used a Trigger Stick for years, I use it for walking and it helps with off hand shooting while standing. It has a single leg and can get a little unsteady if you are not careful. I ordered a new one that is a bipod, should be a lot better. Unless the shoulder gets a lot stronger between now and October, I'll need to rest my rifle on something for all shooting. When it gets here next week, I'll be at the range doing a little shooting to check everything out.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
When I was over in Africa all of my shots were taken off of a Bog Pod. By chance I had purchased one before I went over to practice off of. It has three legs instead of 2 and it is very sturdy no matter what the terrain was.

Most of the shots were from a sitting position but I also had a few while standing. If I ever draw my antelope tag in Wyoming it is coming with me.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
I'm younger...but had some shoulder pain, minor tear in rotator cuff, did my own exercises, 1 shoulder got good/better, then the other one would start hurting, kept the exercises, eventually both shoulders feel good now.

I'd stick with those rc exercises... don't overdo them, but after a while should help things... 6months....1 year....etc... not in 2 weeks, ha.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
Gonna be 39, and feeling it! ;)

Basically took 15 years off after college sports...

Been consistently working out the last 2 years about, and have made some major improvement, 180-185lbs now, 205lbs was my high.
only wish I had stayed in shape these past 15yrs, but oh well, on the long term plan to get it back tho.

I joke with some of the older guys around me when I'm their age....I'll have 20 years of training behind me, ;) watch out! haha.

I gotta say, going from nothing to 2 workouts a week, really improved my life, and I mean mentally, sure physically improved, the 2 probably compliment each other, but I see the mental improvement almost as a bigger bonus in my life than the physical.

So if anyone out there keeps finding excuses, if you can give yourself 2 days a week, for a month, I guarantee you'll thank yourself later!

OldGuy123

Oct 22, 2018
Nothing rejuvenates like fresh air and sunshine — and with good reason. Sunlight encourages your body to produce serotonin, a brain chemical that's a natural mood booster. So revel in every opportunity you get to spend time outside

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
I am only 50 and there is not a day in my life that I can rember, that I did not hurt somewhere, it has been a fun crash filled life. charge!

Reactions: Timr245

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Wait until you get into your mid 60's.

If I didn't hurt somewhere when I got up in the mourning I'd think that I was dead. However as the day goes on things loosen up and you feel like a 40 year old. It is a good thing that the nerves in my fingers and hands haven't left me yet or I would have a hard time feeling.

But what is really bad is when you see a nice looking gal and you realize that she could be your granddaughter.

• Love
Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
10-4.

Back when I was married and then dating after I got divorced I was told that I could look all I wanted to but if I touched I was dead.