GA Hunter Attacked by Dogs

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Years ago I never packed a sidearm with me when out scouting or hiking in the wilds. But in today's world I always have a firearm with me when out hiking, you never know what is going to happen. And while the biggest problem is the two legged kind something like this does happen with those people that just let their dogs run.

I've been in that type of a situation and it isn't fun shooting someones dog, but I have done it and I'll do it again if necessary.

Reactions: dan maule

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I read about that a week ago. The guy is lucky to be alive.

I know what I would do and would have done and I’ll leave it at that.

KHSRanger23

Apr 14, 2016
Utah
Pretty crazy situation, hope he makes a quick and full recovery.

Being attacked by domestic dogs would probably be one of the last scenarios on my mind when I am out in woods.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
When I was a kid, I had a guy's beagle get after me when I was trout fishing.
I kicked that dog as hard as I could about 10 times to get it away from me.

I went home and told my dad and he said " A Beagle?! Boy, you're lucky to be alive! Then walked away chuckling...." I don't think he believed me. lol

Out of all dogs to be attacked by....A damn beagle almost got the best of me. He had true grit, that's for sure.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska

I went home and told my dad and he said " A Beagle?! Boy, you're lucky to be alive! Then walked away chuckling...." I don't think he believed me. lol

Out of all dogs to be attacked by....A damn beagle almost got the best of me. He had true grit, that's for sure.
Maybe rabid? Don't think I have ever come across an aggressive beagle.

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
Hopefully he sues the crap outta the dog owners. Cover medical, pain and suffering, mental anguish, future fear issues, etc. Can't get blood from a stone tho'. Chances are the country hick of a dog owner has nothing and guy is gonna have to pay his own medical, shrink, and whatever other costs are involved.

One more reason to carry a sidearm at all times. Can't understand why he wasn't armed...

Pretty crazy situation, hope he makes a quick and full recovery.

Being attacked by domestic dogs would probably be one of the last scenarios on my mind when I am out in woods.
About every country folk in GA has at lest 1 pit bull. It is a viable threat in many areas of the state.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co

I had a neighbor who lived across the street from me years ago. I was working for the telephone company and needed to climb a number of poles so being a old lineman I went home and changed into my pole climbing boots that have a 16" high top and are quite heavy with a steel toe and shank.

When I came out of my house and walked to my truck his little ankle biter came across the street as fast as it could run just a yapping right at me. I just punted that dog back across the street, he never came out barking at anyone after that.

KHSRanger23

Apr 14, 2016
Utah
Hopefully he sues the crap outta the dog owners. Cover medical, pain and suffering, mental anguish, future fear issues, etc. Can't get blood from a stone tho'. Chances are the country hick of a dog owner has nothing and guy is gonna have to pay his own medical, shrink, and whatever other costs are involved.

One more reason to carry a sidearm at all times. Can't understand why he wasn't armed...

About every country folk in GA has at lest 1 pit bull. It is a viable threat in many areas of the state.
That’s sounds crazy for the amount of dogs in rural areas. Then these getting out or going feral whatever the case was. In Utah I expect to see coyotes, black bears and mountain lions depending were I am at. When I’m Wyoming you can add wolves and grizzly bears. Definitely agree with always packing a sidearm.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Cable Smith, Lonestar Outdoor Show, just posted about wild dogs in Texas killing a bunch of animals on a farm. Sounds like this is becoming a bigger issue or so it seems.