Fishing 2016

packmule

Veteran member
Jun 21, 2011
TX
ha. I want to catch one, for real? I'm guessing any of the Atlantic costal states?

I caught about 50 of them in Rollever Pass (Crystal Beach/Bolivar Tx) the morning I fished it. They're about to fill in that pass and it has everyone ticked off. Fun trip though and since the last hurricane the beach house rentals have dropped to around $200/night for this time of year.

I didn't try the can trick, just put live shrimp behind a Carolina rig and worked it through the current.

Finsandtines

Very Active Member
Jun 16, 2015
Florida
They are wrapping up spawning here on the gulf coast. I usually target them in the winter because they are about the only thing besides trout that are a sure bet when the weather is cold. very tasty also!

packmule

Veteran member
Jun 21, 2011
TX
They are tasty, caught a couple over 20" that'll go on the grill on the half shell. Black drum was running too. Only caught specks under the lights, but I let the other guys fish the lights and I kept a headache so I stayed away from the generator.

Matthoek21

Veteran member
Mar 18, 2011
Peachtree City, GA.
Sorry if y'all didn't catch my humor. Most guys may not even know what Prince Albert in a can is. Smoking tobacco that came in a steel can, hence the old telephone prank when you would call up a grocery store and ask them if they had Prince Albert in a can? Of course they would say yes cause everyone rolled their own smokes back then and all the stores carried it (at least in the south). We as kids would then say "you better let him out or I'm gonna call the cops". Man we would laugh at those stupid prank call jokes. Anyway a sheepshead's teeth are so tough I was equating it to crushing a steel can, aluminum is too easy for them.:p

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
Matt, I knew it was all southern bs and very good stuff. Ivory, yes we do have some very good sturgeon fishing in San Francisco Bay/San Pablo bay. I used to fish for them a lot and did pretty well catching them. It's very similar to the sheepshead fishing, we use a Ghost shrimp and another bay shrimp. The DAMM things bite very softly though. You need a sensitive tipped pole with A lot of back bone:)

packmule

Veteran member
Jun 21, 2011
TX
My grandpa would smoke it in his pipe..he bought the big round cans instead of those that looked like the odd shaped cans sewing machine oil would come in.

In full incoming tide squeezed down a cut that can cast across they grab it and go!

packmule

Veteran member
Jun 21, 2011
TX

caught a bunch of these little guys, but was hoping to find one in the 40lb range just to check out the drag. I weeded through them during the bait acquisition stage.

Then got to the surf on the other side of the peninsula and not a thing happened. Our kayaker who was going to set baits got rolled at the break and he hung up his paddles...but he was wearing a GoPro so waiting for that footage.

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
I need to do some traveling to catch some diff fish! I love this thread. landed a big brown this morn, nailed a cd9 perch rapala. hit it right when I was about to rip lure out of water to recast, fun surprise, thank goodness drag was set!

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
what river you on? that brown has some great color! nice, and great pic, that hole above your right shoulder is looking great!

Vikingload

Jun 12, 2015
Powell WY
Caught this sucker on a Mepps spoon the other day. 15.5lbs on the river here in Wyoming the first photo was about an hour after I caught her and finally got home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vikingload

Jun 12, 2015
Powell WY
Yep going on the wall, but as a replica!! It filled 5 vaccum sealed bags with meat!! It was a great day!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk