First aid kit's

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
Thanks for the compliment.

Most of my hands on medical experience is from treating myself or animals around the ranch. My brother in law is a paramedic/emt as his civillian job, as well as in the national guard. I thought I had my kit pretty decent and then had him look it over and offer suggestions on what to add and teach me how to use it. He works 24hr shifts at his job and is often out at the ranch on days off, so chances are decent if the kit is needed he would be around to help use it. It can take 45 minutes to an hour for medical help to reach us IF they find us on the first try on our ranch so it is worth being prepared. As those of you who have bought pre-made first aid kits know they sound huge when you list them out like this. My postage scale shows my big truck kit weighing 4.5lbs and it fits in a bag about the size of a kids lunch box.

My kit for carrying on hunts isn't near as big. In my opinion bandaids are overrated as something to pack, you need alot of them to have the right size for the wound. Vet wrap weighs little and can be used to stop bleeding or make a makeshift splint with cut braces. On a mountain side heavy bleeding or a bad leg worry me most as far as injury. A roll of vet wrap 4" long by 5yds wide weights 1.4oz on my scale and it is available in bright colors like hot pink that can also be used for flagging/signaling if needed. I always carry a 2" wide by 50ft roll of duck tape that can be used with the vet wrap alone, or preferably with it and a gauze pad to bandage most wounds. My field kit sounds bigger than it is also, while typing this I weighed it. The medical part fits easily in a qt ziplock bag with lots of room to spare and weighs 4.9oz including the duck tape.

Might have to get one of those staplers, sounds like a good idea.
MC,
You are a wise man to be prepared .
I got a lot of great ideas from your posts that will make my kits heavier ;) friends of mine always laugh at me for bringing extra or spare things with me but not so funny when they forget their bino's . Knife, ammo , release, whatever and ask to borrow mine.
Thanks again for great info and post !

Last edited:

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
I have widdled my first aid kit down to gauze and tape and some advil. that will pretty much cover 90% of what you are going to come accross.

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
HuntWYODon, you're welcome, and I hope you never need any of it!

I'm sure not into hunting strictly for the exercise, I'm always trying to drop weight off my pack but not by compromising my emergency kit. If I find a lighter weight or more multi-purpose item I will switch it out and put my old version in the vehicle kit. I pack a little more emergency overnight kit than most also because if I find a big enough trophy deep enough in the backcountry I want the option of staying on him until dark and being there the next morning. With my kit plus the clothing and other items I pack I have that option, although if I think an overnighter is likely I will pack a better sleep system. With my minimum kit it won't be the most comfortable camp, but will be a survivable one. I've tested it down to freezing before comfortably. My Garmin Rhino and cell phone give me options to let my hunting partner know my plans also. It's hard to know where to draw the line between being prepared and being weighed down.

Last edited:

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
HuntWYODon, you're welcome, and I hope you never need any of it!

I'm sure not into hunting strictly for the exercise, I'm always trying to drop weight off my pack but not by compromising my emergency kit. If I find a lighter weight or more multi-purpose item I will switch it out and put my old version in the vehicle kit. I pack a little more emergency overnight kit than most also because if I find a big enough trophy deep enough in the backcountry I want the option of staying on him until dark and being there the next morning. With my kit plus the clothing and other items I pack I have that option, although if I think an overnighter is likely I will pack a better sleep system. With my minimum kit it won't be the most comfortable camp, but will be a survivable one. I've tested it down to freezing before comfortably. My Garmin Rhino and cell phone give me options to let my hunting partner know my plans also. It's hard to know where to draw the line between being prepared and being weighed down.
mcseal2,
Good to meet somebody who thinks and plans like I do, you even more ! I got some great ideas from your list and am in the process of filling them before my next two deer hunts in Sept. and Nov. . Curious about what state you live in but you can PM me if not comfortable telling. I won't tell :) Good to hear from you again !

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
How does the super glue work? Do you hold the wound closed, and coat it with glue? It doesn't hurt anything to get it in the wound?
Pretty much. Hold it shut as well and tight as possible and glue the edges. If you get it closed well enough to work not much gets inside.

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
Then leave it that way until it heals?
I keep applying it as needed. Usually once a day. The drier it is when you first apply it the better. The big slice I applied it to on my thumb 2 weeks ago stayed closed and healed up much quicker than just leaving it. Come on Old Hunter, just throw some in your bag !

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
I was going to. I just wanted to make sure I knew how to use it. I've used super glue a lot through the years, but never on myself.
I've been a believer for about 15 yrs.. Some good surgical tape over it helps if your are going to be in the woods awhile longer. My thumb is still sore and numb but it never broke open again. :) Get the kind in a plastic bottle, not a tube. It wont dry up or puncture. :)

jenbickel

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Sheridan, Wyoming
www.facebook.com
I'm definitely a big fan of super glue on cuts!! That's one thing I do always pack! Super glue and duct tape, you can pretty much fix anything. I like duct tape over blisters, makes you not even feel them. I like to bring pink zebra print duct tape though so a least while I'm patching up my blistered nasty heels, I feel a little pretty. Lol :)

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
you following me around like a puupy dog ? LOL ! I bet you have never had a blister Princess hunter...;)
Relax, I know you have. Sleeping already...? Loser ! I won bet. :)