Favorite mule deer bullet?

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I have found it hard to match the Weatherby factory ammo ballistics. There is not a lot of reloading data out there that duplicates the factory ammo ballistics. Your method of pulling the bullet and weighing the powder is also what I did. The problem I had when I was first reloading was I could not get the Norma MRP, so I settled on Reloader 22 and had to play around a while. At the time, RL 22 was the slowest burning powder they offered that according to the data I could find, came close to factory ballistics. Now I have just stuck with the loads I developed with RL 22. At some point in the future when I have more time I plan on playing around with some of the newer, slower burning powders.
My loads aren't as accurate as you mentioned above, but I am not sure if that is my lack of shooting ability or the ammo.
I had chronograph the speed of the factory Weatherby ammo so I had a pretty good starting spot. I tried IMR 4831 but I couldn't get the speed without pressure signs. So I tried some RL22, that was the magic load. But with RL22 being a little bit temperature sensitive I did all my load testing in the summer with temperatures in the 80's. I could push my load a little bit faster but I am perfectly happy with where it is sitting at right now.

It is interesting that in the last Barnes manual that I purchased they max out the load for RL22 lower than what I am using. But I'll keep using it as long as I still have that lot of powder sitting on my shelf. But when I buy some new I'll have to drop the loading a little and bring it back up to be safe.

Reactions: dan maule

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
264 win mag at first with140gr Accubonds and now 140gr Berger VLD bullets. I prefer the controlled expansion of the Accubond but the Bergers have never failed me. The rifle really likes them and they are forgiving in the winds that always seem to blow during my hunts.

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
I went from 30-06 to 243 due to it being more fun and easier to shoot. Used to shoot 30-06 150 Sierra Pro Hunters and 150&165 NPs at about 2900/3000 fps. Both are death rays.

Shot a pretty big muley with 243 100 gr Federal Blue Box "Power Shok" last year and killed it. Not sure if that's a fast expanding bullet or controlled expansion - it's a cup & core.

Since then I've worked on loading 95 gr NP and 100 gr Sierra Pro Hunter bullets. I think both are better bullets than the power shok bullet but as they say, the proof is in the pudding and that was my first deer with a 243.

Shane13

Aug 8, 2012
Hawley, Texas
I shot 100 gr Game Kings for years in my .240 Weatherby. But about 10-12 years ago, I got a bad batch of them. The first couple deer I shot with that batch, the bullets completely fell apart. I'd find pieces of lead and empty copper jackets in the deer. I pulled the rest of them and replaced them with Partitions. I've stayed with Partitions in the .240 since then. I wish they'd make a 100gr AccuBond in 6mm. I have a bunch of empty brass right now, and I'll probably go ahead and load it with the 90gr AccuBonds. I know they'll kill a deer just fine too.

I like 140gr and 160gr AccuBonds in my 7mag. I bought some factory 130gr Socorro ammo for my 6.5x300. When I shoot that up, I'll probably load 130gr AccuBonds.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I have shot Sierra bullets almost exclusively for over 50 years and have never had a problem. Did you contact them and talk to the about your problem? When they were still in southern California, I went to their factory and headquarters and talked to them several times. They were very helpful. The only other bullet I use today other than Sierras is Nosler Partitions in my .300 Wby.

Reactions: Winchester

memtb

I have shot Sierra bullets almost exclusively for over 50 years and have never had a problem. Did you contact them and talk to the about your problem? When they were still in southern California, I went to their factory and headquarters and talked to them several times. They were very helpful. The only other bullet I use today other than Sierras is Nosler Partitions in my .300 Wby.

Colorado Cowboy, If I may respond to your comment to Shane 13. I once, many years ago, used Sierra Bullets for hunting. In their defense, supposedly they improved these bullets substantially. My disdain comes from my “contact” with Sierra technical support (perhaps incorrect terminology). I had several boxes of the bullet of which I had issues. The bullet was for use in a rifle often used for large and often dangerous game. The bullets had a muzzle velocity of well under 2700 FPS....yet, the bullets completely came apart , often only finding small shards if jacket material. These bullets, as previously stated, were for use in a rifle often used for the hunting of dangerous game! The bullet mentioned, was a 300 grain SPBT fired from a .375 H&H .....failing to exit a mule deer spike , shot broadside!

My complaint call to Sierra was answered with complete “BS”! They suggested that, I was pushing them too fast (?) ( published data), or I was using the incorrect powder for application (again published data), or that the bore rifling was too sharp, thereby damaging the jacket material (really)!

When shooting other brands of cup and core bullets , in particular the Hornady 270 SP, and experienced “zero” jacket/core separation with exit wounds on smaller big game. They did however fail to exit a large moose, but the recovered bullets were good examples of expected expansion retaining approximately 65% of original weight.

When shot in a side by side comparison with other cup and core bullets, every 300 grain Sierra SPBT showed complete disintegration while the other Bullets performed as expected/advertised.

Had I “not” received such ridiculous explanations/excuses for the catastrophic failure of their bullets.....I “may have” considered another purchase of Sierra bullets. However, that “is not” the case! memtb

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
The largest caliber I use Sierras in is my 30-06. I use the 150 gr Game King BT bullet and have never had a problem. I also use them in my .25's. I have shot literally 100's of deer, antelope, elk and feral hogs with them for the last 60 years or so with no expansion issues. All my dealing with them was when they were in California and I visited them to buy seconds. Yes...I shot a lot of seconds to, but never hunting.

Sawfish

Very Active Member
Jun 9, 2011
Peoples Republik of Kalifornia
I tend to use heavier bullets in my rifles than most. My favorite Weatherby rifle is my7mm Weathermark with the 175 Speer Grand Slam over 75.0 gr. of H-1000 for 2979 fps. For heavier game I use a 300 Weatherby AccuMark with the 200 gr. Nosler Partition over 82.0 gr. of IMR-7828 for 2,975 fps. CC, I well remember the "seconds" room in the old Sierra plant in Santa Fe Springs. Thanks for the reminder.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Yep. Bought them by the pound. Took home and inspected for obvious cosmetic damage. Weighed each one and rolled them for concentricity.
Bought lots of them for my 22/250 back then.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I have shot a lot of Sierra bullets over the last 50 years that I have been reloading. In every rifle that I own from a 22-250 up to my 30-06.

I even have a dozen boxes of Federal Premium 7mm Rem mag ammo that I bought cheaper than I could load them for. They are loaded with Sierra 150 boat tails and they shoot lights out and have accounted for a number of elk and I don't even want to try and remember all the deer that I have shot with them. Most all deer and elk were one shot kills.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
I'm one of those weirdo's that try a bunch of different bullets, just because I like to. My 338-06 likes both the 210 TSX and the 200 Woodleigh.
The 270 I'm playing with now seems to favor the 130 Interlock and 150 Partition. But it likes them right up to max!

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I can't remember if I have replied to this thread...so...here it goes. I am a simple man, my .300 Win Mag loves the 200 grain ELD-X Precision Hunter rounds. Big bucks can be tough and where I hunt them I want him to be planted firmly into the mountain. The bucks I am hunting this year are in such steep country though...It might now mattter LOL.

Reactions: AKaviator