Favorite Autoloading Shotguns

RTH Buteo

Feb 20, 2021
I am in the market for a great 12 gage auto loader in camo that I would like to use for both waterfowl and turkey. I will travel for these hunts so a shotgun that breaks down would be a plus. Also, I wonder if a gun with changeable barrels for ducks v turkeys exists?

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
Look at your remington options - a 12 ga comes apart easy and the barrels swap out without much effort - literally 1 nut. You can also just run with a 26 inch barrel and interchangeable chokes. 11-87, Versamax, etc.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
I shoot a Beretta eXtrema 2. Beretta has always made quality semi-auto shotguns and pistols.

Turbodude

Oct 17, 2017
Red side of Ca
Been shooting Brownings the whole time. Been shooting a Gold for 20 years, B80 & BPS before that. Great guns and only had 1 issue with the wood finish on 1 of my Golds. They promptly took care of it no questions asked, great service.

Reactions: mallardsx2

sleepingbear

Sep 15, 2011
Carson City
I'll Second on Benelli Super Black Eagle II or III. Very easy to take down. I've shot mine down to 30 below. Shoots low base 2 3/4 dove loads to 3 1/2 in 1700 fps no issues

Reactions: idcwby

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
None!

Why....because I shoot left handed. S/A's eject across my face and I get powder, gas and whatever else in my face. Years ago I had a 20 ga M50 Winchester semi auto. It fired a shell before the action was totally closed and I got brass in my chin, nose and cheek. There is a piece still in my chin. Thank God I had shooting glasses on, which ended up with a broken lens.

• Wow
Reactions: AKaviator

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I need anther autoloader like I need another hole in my head..... But, WHEN I buy my next one, it'll be one of the new Browning A5's. I still shoot my 1950's A5, but wouldnt mind a new one for some of the rougher, dirtier hunts where I don't want to risk my Belgium.

I do hate being a lefty and shooting right handed autoloaders, but if I shoot cleaner burning shells, I usually don't have too much of a problem with getting stuff in my eyes. I had to quit shooting Black Cloud, it was so dirty, I thought I was gonna go blind.

NE69

Jan 6, 2013
Southwest Nebraska
I just bought a Browning A5 in camo, 3.5” 12 gauge for my grandson who is 16. It really feels great pulling up but haven’t shot it, it’s his gun and he won’t be back till school is out. $1400 I got it for but it was hard to find one. Wish I had one for myself!

idcwby

Administrator
Jun 23, 2015
Idaho
None!

Why....because I shoot left handed. S/A's eject across my face and I get powder, gas and whatever else in my face. Years ago I had a 20 ga M50 Winchester semi auto. It fired a shell before the action was totally closed and I got brass in my chin, nose and cheek. There is a piece still in my chin. Thank God I had shooting glasses on, which ended up with a broken lens.
You need to shoot one of the lefty Benellis, no gas/shells in the face and fast follow up shots.

Reactions: Slugz

Shane13

Aug 8, 2012
Hawley, Texas
I've never been a fan of jammomatics. I bought a Winchester SX4 a while back. Been through 2 duck seasons with it, and it's actually been great. No trouble at all. After finding the right shim for the stock, it fits me well. Large safety and bolt release buttons. Shoots smooth. It's the first semi I've ever owned or shot that I actually enjoy.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I have been shooting a Ithica Mag-10 now for close to 40 years. I have I have used it on birds from pheasants to swans. It is a little bit heavy to pack around on most upland game bird hunts since it comes in at 11 lbs before you put three shells into it but it gets the job done with authority. Even on tough turkeys I have had great luck with it.

But if I find a Browning Auto-5 at the right price I'll pick it up. I am kicking myself in the rear for not getting one in 16 ga that I saw in a Cabela's 6 years ago.