FALL PLANTING - SERPENTS....

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Found this under the brush hog at our lease....

12 rattles. 13 babies inside of it. When they came spewing out the 9MM bullet holes they were striking at anything that moved...right up until I gave them the stick coup-de-grace.....

Got the fields planted.

Last edited:

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
A dead rattle snake is the only snake I care for. I burned down a mobile home over those damn things. What did you end up planting?

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
Why did you kill it if you are not going to eat it??(n)
They surely would have kept the rodent population down on your property. 💥

Reactions: JimP

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Get a CAT. Both Problems Solved.
Many moons ago my dad had a partnership in a mining claim in Nevada that was in the middle of nowhere, but isn't everything in Nevada?

He took me out there when I was 4 or 5 and we stayed in the cabin that was on the property. One night I had to take a dump so I grabbed the flashlight and headed to the little house a ways away from the cabin. While sitting there doing my business I felt something at my feet. I turned on the light and was so startled that I didn't have to wipe after seeing the snake.

That next morning while eating breakfast I told my dad of my adventure while we were sitting at the table with one of his partners who usually stayed at the mine all summer. The partner asked me what kind of snake it was and I just said that it was a snake and needed to be killed. He asked me if it looked like the one over in the wood box? I saw that snake and things puckered up so tight that I didn't have to go to the bathroom for a month.

He then explained that they had tried to keep cats around but that the coyotes would catch and eat them. And without cats they were overran with mice, but they found that the coyotes would leave the bull snakes alone and that the snakes did a pretty good job of getting rid of the mice in the cabin, so they left the snakes to their job.

They would however dispatch the rattle snakes that would visit the property since my dad and a couple of the labors had been bitten by them.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Reminds me of the blacksnake in the outhouse when my sister was little.

My 90 year old uncle Domer heard the screams and ran (as fast as a 90 year old guy could run) to the outhouse with a garden hoe and chopped its head off. The whole time my dad was telling him it was probably just a snake and he didn't even get up out of his lawn chair.

I remember my dad saying "Why did you kill that poor thing? They keep the mice population down around here!" meanwhile my sister was crying hysterically....lol

Quote from Dad when I was 5..."Get tough or live life in fear like a damn wimp"

He survived nom so he doesn't have much sympathy for anyone. lol

No wonder I am the way I am. Thanks Dad.

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
If the Rattlesnakes are too small to eat and tan the skin, I transplant them.20200522_101215 (1).jpg
Most Rattlesnakes strike up 10 times, then get so tired the recoil very slowly
and it's fairly easy to pin their head with a stick.
This one was so tired from his swim, all I had to do was pick him up.
One uncle thought it was great! the other abandoned ship... 💥

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Many moons ago my dad had a partnership in a mining claim in Nevada that was in the middle of nowhere, but isn't everything in Nevada?

He took me out there when I was 4 or 5 and we stayed in the cabin that was on the property. One night I had to take a dump so I grabbed the flashlight and headed to the little house a ways away from the cabin. While sitting there doing my business I felt something at my feet. I turned on the light and was so startled that I didn't have to wipe after seeing the snake.

That next morning while eating breakfast I told my dad of my adventure while we were sitting at the table with one of his partners who usually stayed at the mine all summer. The partner asked me what kind of snake it was and I just said that it was a snake and needed to be killed. He asked me if it looked like the one over in the wood box? I saw that snake and things puckered up so tight that I didn't have to go to the bathroom for a month.

He then explained that they had tried to keep cats around but that the coyotes would catch and eat them. And without cats they were overran with mice, but they found that the coyotes would leave the bull snakes alone and that the snakes did a pretty good job of getting rid of the mice in the cabin, so they left the snakes to their job.

They would however dispatch the rattle snakes that would visit the property since my dad and a couple of the labors had been bitten by them.
Nope, not coming to visit.