Fairbury Nebraska Turkey

TN911

Jun 6, 2018
Missouri
Hey Guys. A friend and I are headed to Fairbury Nebraska on a spring turkey hunt this week. Has anyone hunted in this area? Wondering what the hunting pressure on public will be like? I will be there for 3 days archery and 2 days shotgun season. Also, any idea what the bird population is like in the area this year? Thanks!!

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Hunting pressure typically isn't too bad but during opening weekend you will likely see some hunters. The population is good but the birds are running a little late this year and have been pretty unresponsive to calling compared to normal. They have been still flocked up for the most part. It is 80? here today but supposed to have rain/snow mix Thursday so I doubt you get a lot of strutting action. Keep in mind, youth shotgun is open so on public you may be archery hunting around others with shotguns. Stay safe carrying your decoys. In your shoes I would spend evenings trying to find a consistent roost and plan to ambush the next day. Good luck!

TN911

Jun 6, 2018
Missouri
Thanks I wasn't aware of the youth season. I will arrive Wednesday morning, hopefully before day light. Yes the weather is uninviting but we will still have high spirits and try our best. When do you expect the birds to begin splitting up? Missouri youth was this weekend and we had very good luck with birds being responsive and interested in the calls.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I was honestly surprised they weren't split up yesterday evening when I was out with my son- should be now but the late snows and the floods have things a little weird. I'm taking my son out again tonight so will have another report for you in the morning.

TN911

Jun 6, 2018
Missouri
Thanks! Goodluck on your hunt. Are you hunting up by the platte yet? Or is it still flooding?

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
There is still minor flooding but we are able to hike in. We got a lot of birds talking last night but they wouldn't break off of the big flock. They roosted 600 yards away from their previous spot so no way to ambush them- frustrating. We were waiting under their roost from the previous evening. If 10 year olds were more mobile, we may have been able to get in front of them lol.

TN911

Jun 6, 2018
Missouri
That sounds like fun. I understand the frustrations with youth hunting, we had ran into the same thing this weekend lol. We arrive tomorrow, Ill keep you posted on how things go for us!

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
There is still minor flooding but we are able to hike in. We got a lot of birds talking last night but they wouldn't break off of the big flock. They roosted 600 yards away from their previous spot so no way to ambush them- frustrating. We were waiting under their roost from the previous evening. If 10 year olds were more mobile, we may have been able to get in front of them lol.
The joys of youth hunting ha.

ElkTrout

Veteran member
Feb 2, 2012
Parker, CO
Hilltop I almost gave you a shout! Came through there on Sunday driving back from Wisconsin! Saw a fair amount of birds. Should be a good season! There were still a ton of cranes around Kearney. Pretty cool sight to see! Good luck to all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Hilltop I almost gave you a shout! Came through there on Sunday driving back from Wisconsin! Saw a fair amount of birds. Should be a good season! There were still a ton of cranes around Kearney. Pretty cool sight to see! Good luck to all!

You need to stop next time! I'm 5 minutes off the interstate...

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
We didn't hunt last night due to baseball. Tonight looks rough due to severe weather forecast and then we have snow forecast Thursday. We might try Friday evening if the weather clears up. Good luck to those guys heading out!

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I will! Was planning a snow goose trip but the migration did not cooperate!

snows 2019 - 2.jpg
We got into a gob of geese but they were only here for a week or so.
April Geese.jpg
These were the last two for the year. My little guy is addicted.
snow decoy spread.jpg
Small floater spreads worked well at the end. Hope you can make it out next spring.

TN911

Jun 6, 2018
Missouri
Well we searched hi and low all day. Finally worked 3 Jakes in around 1 o'clock. First kill with the triax and possibly the only bird we get a chance at with the bad weather heading in tonight. Anyone else doing any good?

ElkTrout

Veteran member
Feb 2, 2012
Parker, CO
Well we searched hi and low all day. Finally worked 3 Jakes in around 1 o'clock. First kill with the triax and possibly the only bird we get a chance at with the bad weather heading in tonight. Anyone else doing any good?

Congrats on getting it done!! Be safe with this weather!

TN911

Jun 6, 2018
Missouri
Well its back to Missouri for us and WOW what a great time it was in Nebraska. Bad turkey hunting weather for the most part but we were still able to fill several tags! Everyone who went had a great time and look forward to doing it again next year. The hospitality of the genuine people of Nebraska will be unmatched. I couldn't believe how welcome the locals made us feel!

NE69

Jan 6, 2013
Southwest Nebraska
Glad you had a good time. I still think they should drop the tag price to $20. NR is $109 plus the $25 habitat stamp. Youth at $8 is a bargain though. Turkeys in our end of the state are not hunted very hard and we have more turkeys than pheasants most years.

TN911

Jun 6, 2018
Missouri
Glad you had a good time. I still think they should drop the tag price to $20. NR is $109 plus the $25 habitat stamp. Youth at $8 is a bargain though. Turkeys in our end of the state are not hunted very hard and we have more turkeys than pheasants most years.

The non resident tag prices did make it difficult as our hunt came to a close, a few guys didn't want to chance the 109 dollars at a last morning hunt. Luckily we only went home with 1 unfilled tag. How far southwest in the state do you live? Maybe Next year I should try my hunt a little further from home.