Everyone!

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Please tell me what your plans could be and would be when and if you draw tags for OUT of State tags!

What I want to hear is this

Research plans for new areas?

What species are you wanting to hunt but could be depended on tag results?

What your efforts will be used for in researching a new unit?

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
This year I put in for deer, elk and antelope in New Mexico, elk and sheep in Nevada, general elk in Wyoming and points everywhere else. I drew my third choice deer in NM, struck out on everything else. I expect to draw Wyoming general elk.

My research for most units was a combination of gohunt, the MRS, and I subscribed to TagHub when it was released. I like TagHub on my computer, though it is not real easy to navigate on my iPhone.

Not sure How to answer the second question, I guess almost all western hunts are dependent on drawing a tag?

as for researching my anticipated WY general tag I’ve been spending a ton Of time on OnX and have about a dozen great looking areas and am trying to narrow it down, but they all look good. And I’ve also been trying to mine a little info from the guys on the forum.

Reactions: Ikeepitcold

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
This year I put in for deer, elk and antelope in New Mexico, elk and sheep in Nevada, general elk in Wyoming and points everywhere else. I drew my third choice deer in NM, struck out on everything else. I expect to draw Wyoming general elk.

My research for most units was a combination of gohunt, the MRS, and I subscribed to TagHub when it was released. I like TagHub on my computer, though it is not real easy to navigate on my iPhone.

Not sure How to answer the second question, I guess almost all western hunts are dependent on drawing a tag?

as for researching my anticipated WY general tag I’ve been spending a ton Of time on OnX and have about a dozen great looking areas and am trying to narrow it down, but they all look good. And I’ve also been trying to mine a little info from the guys on the forum.
FYI, we will constantly be working on TagHub to make it better. Including mobile.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv

my meaning on second question is that some states have over the counter hunts but you might not want to hunt OTC tag but wanting a draw tag instead.

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
I put in for Id moose, if I draw I will spend several long weekends learning the area before deciding DIY or guided. I quit putting in in several states years ago either due to tag creep or hunt quality. There have been a couple of states I refused to apply in due to how the operate their system . Hoping to pick up a last minute canceled hunting or fishing trip in Ak as this covid thing works its way out this summer

Update no moose for me so after the Nevada draw next week I will book a trip depending on those results

Last edited:

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I got out of the Colorado lottery when they joined the ranks of states that required a "qualifying license" purchase even to apply for points. So, for this year I again applied for a late season cow tag in WY that for some reason I seem to beat the odds drawing. My expected draw will be for a WY H deer tag. Will hunt the first week with a partner, then unless I tagged out will spend the next two weeks exploring the high country.…..that will be solo in Griz country, so don't tell my wife.
The deer and cow elk hunts are in areas previously researched and hunted, but the area that I hope to explore are nearby basins that I have spent hours investigating on Google Maps. I have also spent some time with a friend who used to guide in that area, and he has been a great help with some inside info.

Reactions: kidoggy

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I got out of the Colorado lottery when they joined the ranks of states that required a "qualifying license" purchase even to apply for points. So, for this year I again applied for a late season cow tag in WY that for some reason I seem to beat the odds drawing. My expected draw will be for a WY H deer tag. Will hunt the first week with a partner, then unless I tagged out will spend the next two weeks exploring the high country.…..that will be solo in Griz country, so don't tell my wife.
The deer and cow elk hunts are in areas previously researched and hunted, but the area that I hope to explore are nearby basins that I have spent hours investigating on Google Maps. I have also spent some time with a friend who used to guide in that area, and he has been a great help with some inside info.
the one plus of going solo in griz country is ,it don't matter wether or not you are faster then a friend.

WapitiBob

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
Bend, Orygun
I hunt out of state every year, Antelope always, Elk sometimes. Google earth Pro is what I use for 99% of my e-scouting. Everything but sat imagery works offline so it's in camp with me too. OnX is on the phone for field use. I use a secondary program to convert hma/tma geopdf's into kmz and import those into GE as well.

Last edited: