Elk Scents

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
Just curious do any of you guys use Elk scents such as Cow Elk urine while calling Elk? Just 5 weeks now until I go hunting and my mind is working overtime.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I spray down, then rub anything I can find in the woods on me throughout the day. Wallow mud, conifer greens, elk crap........the list goes on.

Last edited:

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
I love the wafers, elk estrus stinks and my hunting buddies hate me for it but I feel like it works great. ill put a couple on me when calling and spray some on leaves around me. my reason... if wind changes a bit when I have a big bull headed in and he happens to catch my scent, he will catch that strong cow ready to be had scent as well, and when those boys are ready to go they come In pretty damn hot. if he gets hesitant, a small mew from the mouth reed is all he needs to commit.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Do not......leave one of those wafers on your truck dash while in the woods the opening archery week. Heat + urine wafer = headliner that stinks forever. Unless you are in to that sorta thing. :D

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
Do not......leave one of those wafers on your truck dash while in the woods the opening archery week. Heat + urine wafer = headliner that stinks forever. Unless you are in to that sorta thing. :D
been there done that!!!! hahaha

badgerbob

May 18, 2015
Eastern Oregon
This reminds me of two young hunters I ran into while hunting blacktails in western Oregon. There was an antlerless deer hunt going on at the same time. I was on a back trail when I heard, really heard, a couple of hunters behind me. I stopped and waited. Two young men in their teens came up. One was swatting flies like crazy. While we were talking I asked him what was wrong. His older brother started laughing. It seems he had shot a doe the day before and had saved the urine. You guessed it, he doused himself with it thinking it might lure in a buck. Don't know about that but it sure did draw in flies.

missjordan

Veteran member
Dec 9, 2014
Missoula, MT
I just spray down with a scent killer and then use pine tree/sage brush smell on top. The urine smell bothers me too much to wanna smell it on my clothes

Matthoek21

Veteran member
Mar 18, 2011
Peachtree City, GA.
I just spray down with a scent killer and then use pine tree/sage brush smell on top. The urine smell bothers me too much to wanna smell it on my clothes
Yes it's awful. I left one in my tent once. My tent to this day still smells like cow elk urine. Makes it easy to hunt from bed though. Haha

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
While walking back the trail at night with my son after a day of hunting I said "man I can smell them" " they must be feeding on the ledge above us". My son replied, " no I'm sure they are not there" " I blew them out about 3 hours ago when I tripped and fell down a slight embankment right into a wallow that was behind some tall grass". " and by the way, that's me you smell". :)

roknHS

Sep 25, 2014
North Idaho, Tick Fever Country
I don't think you can ever mask or eliminate 100% of human scent without sealing yourself in a plastic bag. Breath, spit, snot, farts and perspiration happen no matter what. The smell sense of an elk has to be as good or better than a blood hound. If you bathe in animal scent, all your doing is mixing your scent with that stuff. Might confuse a critter for a short instant but, you'll still be busted in seconds. The only way to be sure your stink won't give you away is to keep the wind in your face when you hunt.
I'm sure some won't agree. Thats OK and it keeps the scent mnfg. companies in business.
Yep, I've tried the stuff and have hunted with guys that swear by cover scents.............we still got busted.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
I used scents as a beginning elk hunter when I was in my early 20s, but stopped using it and started killing elk ;)

I've never had scent on been with someone wearing scent when I got an elk. I am certainly not a believer.

Now scent CONTROL is completely another thing. I have read articles about Randy Ulmer who is a pretty fantastic elk hunter and the lengths he goes to to control scent through regular bathing and fresh clothes.

Last edited:

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
I don't think you can ever mask or eliminate 100% of human scent without sealing yourself in a plastic bag. Breath, spit, snot, farts and perspiration happen no matter what. The smell sense of an elk has to be as good or better than a blood hound. If you bathe in animal scent, all your doing is mixing your scent with that stuff. Might confuse a critter for a short instant but, you'll still be busted in seconds. The only way to be sure your stink won't give you away is to keep the wind in your face when you hunt.
I'm sure some won't agree. Thats OK and it keeps the scent mnfg. companies in business.
Yep, I've tried the stuff and have hunted with guys that swear by cover scents.............we still got busted.
^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^

Matthoek21

Veteran member
Mar 18, 2011
Peachtree City, GA.
^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^
Man Gr8bawana and RoknHS you guys must not have tried Ozonics?? They say "it neutralizes your odor". You could carry this around in your hand while hunting out west. Haha This has to be the biggest crock of horse.... I have ever seen. Jay Gregory believes in it. Lmbo. They must be paying him a lot is all I gotta say.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I used everything in the book the first few years I chased elk. I slowly quit using anything and just did my absolute best to play the wind correctly. I am much more successful now watching the wind closer. I do like to use scent killer on my lower half to minimize the scent trail I am leaving as I walk.

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
To me it seems like elk are reacting to overuse of elk scents/cow urine/estrous sprays like they do to elk bugles that guys overuse.
They clam-up and head for the next zip code. I use scent away and sparingly at that. And being ever watchful of wind direction. Just my $0.02.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
I have tried nose Jammer while bow hunting whitetail, for me the jury is still out while it seemed to calm them down and they didn't blow and run when they were down wind from me they remained calm but seemed to be uncomfortable and didn't hang around long. They claim that it overloads the deer's senses so they can't smell anything else. I tried it two times but I value my hunting time to much to spend a lot of time experimenting.

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
I think if you feel confident in what you are or are not using, that's what will bring you success. if you think its helping you it will certainly raise your confidence, if you think it will give you away, it will. like said above, wind is biggest factor. but ill still stick to what I think works for me when im calling and know a bull is coming in, ill spray estrus on leaves and branches around me. just in case the wind changes, and if you are in the bottom of a drainage, the wind is always swirling, always. a ready to go bull really doesn't give a shiz about your smell when he smells a cow ready to be bread. I know a lot of guys on here have witnessed this. the right decoy set up added to the mix and its golden. damn! come on September!!!