Elk - A tough animal

gon4elk

Feb 21, 2011
Cache Valley, Utah
2 weeks ago I was able to harvest a really nice bull in Wyoming with my bow. Friday went to get my meat from the butcher and he said he found my broadhead. I told him I found my broadhead after the kill in the chest cavity. He said this broadhead was buried in the front lower shoulder, just above the elbow. When I was qrtring him on the hill I noticed a hole in his shoulder with a growth around the hole and just thought it was wound from another bull in the past. I guess that was a broadhead instead. It must have been there for a year or two, he walked with no noticibale limp and when he bolted after the shot he moved just fine. Tough animals. By the way it was a Muzzy head, blades bent some from hitting the bone.

I've heard of others finding old broadheads in elk before but this was a first for me.

Steve
DSC04011.jpg

Last edited:
I shot a bull that had a broadhead and part of the arrow shaft crossways through it's nose. It had healed over and the bone had regrown through the blades on the broadhead and healed on the shaft side. Found out later that the people camping next to us knew who shot the bull the year before. The guy told them he hit it in the nose and they didn't believe him. The elk was fine when harvested, just had a bump on the nose where the head was protruding. I'll try to get a picture of it posted but I'm not the best computer user!

sjsmallfield

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Jackson, CA
Not an elk story, but a few years ago one of my friends was rifle hunting for deer in Utah. He was able to take a nice buck on the third day of hunting. When he was cutting up his deer at home he found a broadhead and part of an arrow shaft stuck in the spine. Like the elk mentioned above the bone had grown around and through the broadhead. My friend ended up boiling and bleaching it and made a cool little display to set it on. If I can get a picture of it I will post it on here for everyone to see. Just a crazy story!

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
It's amazing how tough animals can be. A few years back, my cousin shot a 160+ whitetail during gun season. Later that night, we noticed something barely sticking out of his shoulder.. It ended up being a broadhead. The arrow had spun free from the head, leaving just the threads exposed. The head got less than 1.5 inches of penetration into the shoulder. The shoulder stunk, and was very infected, but the buck didnt really show any adverse effects, I'm sure by next season the shoulder would have completely healed.

One of the neighboring farms had stuck the buck about a month earlier.

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
gone4elk, was the broadhead in the left shoulder? If so, that may be the reason why your bulls antler on the right side grew so weird, from the injury. Neat story thanks for sharing.

gon4elk

Feb 21, 2011
Cache Valley, Utah
Ruttin - don't remember which shoulder it was but he had a broken base (grew straight out to the side rather than up) thus the weird antler. Pic of the odd ball side. This guy had more problems than a married man, he probably came in to commit suicide.

Attachments

gman1

Nov 29, 2011
North Dakota
Shot my 6x6 elk in Wyoming this fall and noticed that he was blind in his right eye from a fight... so I thought. When I got back home the taxidermist called me and asked if I wanted it scored for P&Y! I told him I would love to but I shot it with a rifle. He then asked what that muzzie broadhead and 3" arrow shaft was doing in it's eye??? Yup, an archery hunter is either a very good shot or shouldn't be taking a head on shot at any elk!! I was thankful that I could harvest the elk to take him out of his misery and the broadhead in the eye of the skull mount is an interesting talking point.

gman1

Nov 29, 2011
North Dakota
gon4elk:

Will send a pic but will take awhile so hang in there!! We had a great hunt and will try and send some other pics along with "one eye."

gman