Eastmans' Hunting Journal - Annual Mule Deer issue

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I was reading several of the stories in the latest issue, lots of great stories and some gigantic bucks. One thing that bugs me is that some of the stories don't even have the state the buck was taken in. I think the writer of the story owes the reader at least the state where the deer was taken. I know lot's of the stories contain public or private land declarations, which is great. None of us are asking for unit or season information, just the state you hunted in.

Last edited:

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I agree. I thought that they usually do or at least they used to give info on the Hunter and state.

Timber Stalker

May 22, 2020
I haven’t subscribed in quite some time. The thing I looked at before I even read An article was where it was taken and if it was private or public land. I was only interested in public land hunts.
reading the gear list was also interesting to me. Has that gone away as well?

Reactions: Slugz

DRUSS

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2014
nw oregon
still a gear lists, some quite short.
social media has changed so much for so many. used to be able to talk about hunting areas and it was left at that. now someone is googling then onx, then checking IG or facebook narrowing it down.........
so glad ive never had any social media accounts.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
In this day and age of competitiveness for tags, I can understand someone not wanting to share. I know of one state that rarely is ever mentioned for a certain species when in reality it is probably in the top 2-3 states for that particular species in trophy quality, ease of tags, and opportunity. It won't stay that way if it gets publicity.

Reactions: ScottR

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
Of the 3 animals (wife got one I got 2) that I was fortunate enough to have printed in Eastmans I put the state but nothing else. No secret I only hunt public land in Colorado. My personal feelings is = even for bucks I have killed - is only the ones killed w a bow on public land count. I also move units so much good luck attempting to follow as that’s just not how it works or chasing dead bucks is an uphill battle.

I say leave it to the hunter some like it posted some not so much. Also not hard to tell the difference from an east coast Colorado buck and or an Eagle buck compared to a region G buck. Most times can figure out if ya want.

Juat don’t want it to get like “the book” where you have to put a county as of all the bucks I know of killed that would make the book nobody and I mean nobody will get caught dead putting one in that book for good reason!!

Reactions: DRUSS

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
I guess what I was saying is I feel naming the state is fine but much more than that is one bridge too far.. The rest of my comments are in jest poking fun at a few friends 😆..

One thing is certain and that is the mule deer issue is usually one to look forward to.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
maybe 15 years ago field and stream was running a contest for a vacuum sealer on their forum. The author shot a buck and posted the hero shot and the winner had to guess the State the buck was shot, the bucks score, and I believe what day the buck was shot. I googled the authors name and found his facebook page. Guess what, he posted his hero shot in facebook. Guessing the photo was taken with a smart phone I downloaded the image and struck gold as the image had been geo tagged so I had the GPS coordinates of the kill site. I assumed he pushed the hero shot to facebook the same day as a kill. So I had the State and had the day of the kill. I spent some time on how to determine the score. I did several things. printed the image to what I thought would be lifesize and put the tape to it. found other bucks with a similar frame to compare with. asked buddies what they thought it would score. Anyway, it was an educated guess. I nailed the state and day of kill. Came within 1/8" on the score. Have been using the vacuum sealer ever since. I guess I really wanted that vacuum sealer. Kinda stupid to spend that kind of time on a $100 sealer. I'm in IT and used the experience just to see if I could use my knowledge and experience to see if I could figure it out. I think I knew the State and day within 10 minutes. I've never done that for animal, i think that would be a waste of time. You find deer and elk where you find them. They are not tied to trees. Posting all this crap to public domain just isn't smart with a$$holes like me lurking about. :)