Eastmans' "Big Man Challenge!"

npaden

May 2, 2014
18.18 miles this morning, 2:54:01 for a 9:34 avg pace.

Saw a 50K race coming up in 2 weeks and am really tempted to try it. I haven't been training for one, been a lot more focused on speed lately than endurance, but most of the other 50K races around conflict with hunting season or other things so was surprised to see this one on a day where I don't have anything else planned. After breaking my collarbone in February I ended up not finishing my first 50K that I attempted this May, I trained for it and thought I was ready, but I ended up falling 7 times over the first 20 miles and I wasn't actually cleared by my Dr. to even be out there running trails to begin with so I stopped at mile 20 to try to avoid re-breaking my collarbone since I would have probably fallen even more the more tired I got.

So I'm really thinking about signing up for this 50K in Erick, Oklahoma. Do-whacka-do race whatever that means. It is more on jeep type trails than single track technical trails so it sounds like I would have a lot less chances of falling, but there is plenty of elevation changes running through some canyons so it's supposed to be plenty tough. Weather in early September in Oklahoma could also make it tough.

Knocking out a 50K race a little over 2 weeks before my mountain goat hunt starts should have me fully recovered and ready to go for it as well.

If I do run it I'm going to start out slow and walk the uphills right from the start. Just need to decide if I'm going to do it or not!

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
Heading out in the morning for a full pack trek. Probably do 4-5 miles. Hopefully will see some deer!!

Work2hunt

Veteran member
Mar 2, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Heading out in the morning for a full pack trek. Probably do 4-5 miles. Hopefully will see some deer!!
Good luck with it. I took my two girls on a hike with my pack yesterday. I had the stone glacier loaded with 50 lbs and did 4.4 miles. Pack rode pretty good. Need to get some more weight in it. But I've still got about 6 weeks.

Last edited:

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Just got back from a roughly 12 mile trek. Was a great trip and it was great to feel like I had legs afterwards!

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
Threw on the my seven day weight pack this morning. Did a little scouting and pulled some camera cards while I was there. Great morning to be outdoors!! Trek on Guys!!

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
Yes sir I am heading out of here on the 10th of Sept and wont be back till the end of Sept!! Will be doing my regular 7 day pack in then if needed back to the trail head to restock on food then back in for 7 more. So ready!!
Nice work 25C. Only a few more weeks and we'll be out there!!

npaden

May 2, 2014

Nice run around the Capital tonight. Headed back home in the morning. I really enjoy running in the different cities that I travel in. Get a different perspective on things than when you are driving around in a vehicle. The Capital sure is pretty at night.

image.jpg

Just a picture from my iPhone in the dark, but maybe you can get the idea.

Attachments

Team Kabob

Very Active Member
May 9, 2014
I'll jump on this exercise train.
Age 31
6ft 2in
Weight 230
Goal 205lbs by August
My weak link is the wife's good cooking and the nurses always having pot lucks at work!
I have already cut the fountain drinks out. Replace with a nalgene bottle of water. Now to do better at portion control and find a workout regiment for me.

Time to get into Sheep Shape boys! Fall is coming fast.
Slow, but almost there! 212lbs today

THelms

Administrator
Staff member
You guys ALL rock! My goal for hunting season was two-twenty. I'm at 227 but cut wood at 8500' for four hours last weekend and still had enough left in the tank to climb to 10'000 and glass till dark. Season opens on Monday and I've been all over the place scouting and getting around at good speed with good recovery. I'm not where I wanted to be but I'm better off than last year when I was 247. I think I'm ready.

Last edited:

wyo-hntr

Jan 4, 2013
Powell, WY
Well it's not great but it's definitely a great workout. Here's tonight's walk with a 60lb pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
Still running in the mornings before work and Gym three afternoons a week. It has been in the 60s early in the mornings so great running weather. I have only been doing 2 miles a day but it has been working well. Almost to my goal weight. Weighed in this morning @ 175.6!! .6 lbs to go! Also been shooting the bow a few evenings a week. Put the Hunting sight back on the bow and the SlickTricks on this week, they are drilling @ 60 yds. Hitting the road two weeks from today.

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
Winding it down before I head out for elk bow season. Never really thought that after the operation I had in January I would be in this type of shape or down to my goal weight. A big change in diet and a solid work out program has worked well. Hitting the road next Wednesday and can't wait to get in the high country after elk. Keep your dream alive and don't loose sight of that dream!! Good hunting and good luck to everyone.

npaden

May 2, 2014
Hit a milestone tonight. 5,000 miles since I started working on losing weight and getting in shape back in 2011.

2011 - 262.3 miles - 10:15 avg pace
2012 - 1,357.3 miles - 10:22 avg pace
2013 - 2,016.6 miles - 9:24 avg pace
2014 - 1,365.4 miles - 9:14 avg pace

Total = 5,001.5 miles - 9:40 avg pace

Currently on pace to end up with somewhere around 1,800 miles in 2014 with 3 to 4 weeks of hunting planned this fall. Missed at least 100 miles this spring when I was on the bench with my broken collarbone or I would be shooting for 2,000 miles again this year.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Well, 22 miles of hiking kicked my tail last weekend. But overall i can tell all the work this summer really paid off!

Work2hunt

Veteran member
Mar 2, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I'm hoping for a nice long run tonight if the rain holds off. I think I have my knee and ankle nursed back into shape and have been slowly getting some distance back into my runs. I'm gonna try a 6-7 mile run tonight and see how it goes....nice and slow and see if I hold up.