Early Teal Techniques

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Here is a picture of my typical early teal spread. I typically use 5 or 6 decoys spread out. That is a real duck on the right side that just landed. I limited out this way numerous times in the first 15 minutes of shooting light on public water.

Here is one of those limits from last season.

What type of spread does everyone else use for early teal?

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
usually about 10-12 hen mallard decoys, or, if we're hiking way back into a teal spot, ill use teal decoys just cause they're lighter and smaller, you can fit a dozen into a backpack real easy.
Your dog looks a little grumpy, like she's not pleased with the heat, or her preseason training! haha

Mo-Goose

Feb 8, 2015
I like a dozen teal dekes in water and try to have a pod of sleepers visible on a close mud flat, if possible.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I saw so many large spreads with mojo decoys last year I decided to try my small spread... best success I have ever had. I think the majority of hunters did well last year though- painted pop bottles probably would have worked!

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Boy do I miss early teal season. Back in the day we would go out on Toledo Bend and just look for the areas they were using before the opener then just find a floating log and sit on it for a blind. Best hunt ever was a limit of 15 birds in less than an hour. Teal are tasty ducks !! No early teal season in Wyoming. We're lucky if everything doesn't freeze over before duck season opens.

D.Turvey Jr

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Feb 11, 2014
Powell, WY
I talked with the new Wyoming waterfowl biologist and it sounds like we may never get an early teal season even though they have the funding. It's a three year analysis process and he just doesn't think it's worth it right now. Hopefully he will reconsider at some point. The early teal season on Lake Mac in western Nebraska was awesome! I looked forward to that every September.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
3 weeks till the teal opener in Nebraska. My dog is driving me nuts. I think he can feel its getting close. I have two rookies lined up for opening day so should be a great time if the birds and weather cooperate.