Ducks an Geese

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
We usually fry them with garlic salt. My step son lives for duck hunting and he like to cook them up for us. He wrapped the breasts in bacon and cream cheese and baked them too. Pretty dang good.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I usually turn my geese into jerky, and I'll either grill or pan sear duck breasts. I really like to pan sear a duck breast, slice it thin, and then toss it into an omelet.

Right now, I'm trying my hand at goose prosciutto. I cured the skin on breasts for 3 days, and then used my wife's wine fridge as a cure chamber (she's real impressed with that).

Cube the breasts up into one or two inch cubes. Marinate in frozen orange juice concentrate, Worcestershire sauce, Soy Sauce, garlic powder, onion powder and some some grape jelly overnight ( I have also used some brown suger instead of the jelly). I wish I could give you exact measurements but I just start with the can of orange juice and work from there. I will put a piece of jalapeño or bell pepper or onion on each and then wrap them in bacon and put them on the grill. As your grilling brush with the left over marinade. I promise you wont be disappointed! I have also used the "Sweeter then Sweet" ham making kit from LEM products and made hams out of whole goose breasts that are out of this world. It's an easy process and I wrap them in bacon and put them in the included ham nets after the curing process and cook them in my smoker till they hit 165 internal temp.

If you kept the legs I put these in a crock pot with plenty of season salt and just enough water to cover. Cook until they fall off the bone. Pull them out and let them cool enough to pull the meat off the bones and tendons. (wild birds have more then domestic or maybe they are just more developed) Put the meat back in the crock pot with the juices from cooking and turn it up on high, maybe ad some chicken stock, add some homemade or store bought egg noodles and you have some really good goose n noodles.

Last edited:

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
I usually turn my geese into jerky, and I'll either grill or pan sear duck breasts. I really like to pan sear a duck breast, slice it thin, and then toss it into an omelet.

Right now, I'm trying my hand at goose prosciutto. I cured the skin on breasts for 3 days, and then used my wife's wine fridge as a cure chamber (she's real impressed with that).
I've heard of this. Let us know if it turns out. Like if it was honestly worth the effort. Best of luck.

velvetfvr

Veteran member
May 6, 2012
Nv
Deboned the breasts
Cut them into chunks
Tossed them in flour and bread crumbs
Browned them in olive oils
Seasoned with garlic powder and garlic salt
Threw in minced fresh garlic (3 cloves)
Can of chicken broth
Let it cook at 350 degrees for 4 hours then added a cup of red wine and then cooked until fork tender.

Remember to cook it at a lower heat at long hours gets them really tender.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419648660.988907.jpg

This was awesome for some teal and mallards I got a few weeks ago

I got another recipe that my mom uses but I don't remember the exact recipe.

I've heard of this. Let us know if it turns out. Like if it was honestly worth the effort. Best of luck.

I did this with a duck breasts once. Didn't turn out the way I had envisioned but I think it was my doing. Let us know how it comes out!

Kentucky hunter

Jul 22, 2013
loretto ky
those are some good ideas thanks guys we're not getting as many as I thought we would weather been warm an we not really in the flyway may have to go to them lol

libidilatimmy

Veteran member
Oct 22, 2013
Wyoming
For duck, I cube up the the meat, pan sear with a bit of olive oil and seasoning, add equal parts of french onion and cream of mushroom soup, reduce a little, and then serve over a bed of mashed potatoes. Pretty simple, yet tasty.

For Geese, I usually make into jerky or bratwurst.

NDHunter

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2011
North Dakota
Try this, you need 2 ingredients. Apple juice and barbecue sauce.

Put goose breasts in crockpot, cover with apple juice. Cook on low for 4-6 hours. Take breasts out, shred it and cover with barbecue sauce and serve on bun. I'm telling you, if you told people it was barbecue beef, they wouldn't doubt it for a second.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Geese-

Clean the breasts, dry them, and then place them in a bowl of buttermilk. Let the sit in the refrigerator overnight in the milk. After 24 hours or so, remove the breasts and slice them into strips. Batter and fry. The milk removes most of the game flavor.

Ducks-

Clean the breasts and soak them in salt water for 24 to 48 hours. For large ducks, split the breast halves into two pieces. For teal leave the breast halves whole. After soaking, remove the pieces and pat them dry. Slice a green pepper into approximately the same size pieces as the duck pieces. Spread a thin layer or cream cheese inside the green pepper. Set the duck pieces on top of the cream cheese. Wrap theses on bacon and place in a smoker on low heat until done. You can also add a jalapeno slice inside with the cream cheese if you enjoy a little spice. These are a game day favorite.

coastalarms

Around here, it really depends on where/when you get them. Birds on the coast that have been eating clam crap and seaweed take a bit more doctoring up to get them really good. The ones that have just migrated off the tundra are as tasty as you can get!
For birds that you have to disguise (greater's, Canada's) crock pot is the way to go or teriyaki stir fry. Specks and lesser's are great just about anyway you cook them.

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who doesn't really like the tase of ducks. These are some good ideas to make them more palatable.
Thanks guys.

NDHunter

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2011
North Dakota
Here's one more.

Ingredients:
Italian Seasoning
Salt
Kalamata olives
Oranges

Season duck breasts liberally with salt and Italian Seasoning. Grill or fry to medium rare. While breasts are cooking, slice oranges and top with olives.

It is a very odd combination of ingredients but comes together extremely well. I had serious doubts about it the first time I tried it but it is excellent.

Recipe1.jpg

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Results of goose prosciutto are in..... It's pretty terrible.

The texture is mostly similar to regular prosciutto, and the exterior has a nice salty flavor to it, but the rest pretty much tastes like... A goose.

The dog seemed to like it.

GP.jpg

woodtick

Veteran member
Feb 24, 2011
Jim Bridger County, Utah
I take a duke in the toilet, pick up the turd, throw back a goose breast, flush, then start chowing down on the turd!! Cause we all know it taste better than waterfowl!! Hahaha j/k guys!!:D

I usually make jalapeño jerky with it!