Duck recipe needed

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
My step dad asked me for a duck dinner. It will be domestic duck but looking for recipes and sides.

Thinking duck breast with a sauce, wild rice, and asparagus

Shane13

Aug 8, 2012
Hawley, Texas
Brine the boneless duck breast for 3-5 days in the fridge, changing the water daily. This gets rid of the blood and muddy flavor. When it's time to cook, take the meat out of the water and dry with paper towel. Tenderize the filets. Then season with salt, garlic powder, and pepper.

Put a cast iron skillet on the stove and turn the burner on to 4 (out of 10). Melt some butter in the skillet along with some avocado or olive oil. Once up to temperature, put the seasoned breast filets in the skillet and cook until medium rare (about 135 degrees internal). Don't overcook.

Let them rest for 3-4 minutes before serving. No sauce needed. It's great.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
When I didn't slice it for jerky, I always cut the meat into ~1" cubes and slid it on a skewer and cooked it wrapped in aluminum foil on the grill along with mushrooms, peppers, small potatoes and whatever seasoning I preferred that day. I typically put a strip of bacon in there as well to keep it from sticking to the aluminum foil (mostly because it is good for your heart and soul...lol).

Whatever you decide, dont overcook it.

Turbodude

Oct 17, 2017
Red side of Ca
Found a really easy way to cook duck this season, think it is a Hank Shaw recipe. Take the duck breast w/skin on (used sprig) . Salt both side pretty well with Kosher salt and let sit for 1 hour to get to room temp. Use a skillet w/butter and stove set to medium to medium high. Cook skin side down for 6 minutes and turn and cook the other side at 3 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes. Comes out tasting like the best steak you ever had.

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
A great sauce for duck is just melt butter and honey together with some thinly sliced almonds. Add a dash of Cajun seasoning if you want some heat

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
Made the duck tonight it was wonderful.
I did the cold pan method and a cherry wine sauce. Also made duck pastrami and a beef pastrami to see how it worked. Everyone loved it all20210321_163836.jpg20210321_150142.jpg

Reactions: buckbull and Slugz

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Wild rice with a blueberry sauce is amazing to go with chicken, pork, or duck

I use the sauce from this recipe its amazing and the kids and wife love it