Dolores County Colorado Hunting Accident

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
If I remember my government classes from school, the basis for our justice system is everyone is innocent until proven guilty. The person charged is entitled to bail (in the Judge's opinion) and their day in court.

The problem is that we don't know the details of what happened and the circumstances. The only thing we do know is what the Dolores County Sheriff has said in his press releases. We probably won't know the details until trial and if he pleads guilty, we might not know much more. Lots of misinformation on social media. It was a horrible thing and if person charged in the killing is found guilty (or pleads guilty), they deserve punishment.
this is true of our justice system. and it is as it should be .
but let's face the truth . when it comes to the court of public opinion, "innocent till proven guilty" has NEVER been a mantra that humans have embraced. the go to move of most is to assume the worst of others while ignoring the worst in themselves. that is the very reason we need a justice system and a government for that matter . imperfect though both may be.

Reactions: D_Dubya

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
The hunter who was convicted of criminally negligent homicide was sentenced last Friday here in Cortez to 90 days in jail, 12 months' state-supervised probation, $500 fine and 100 hours of community service. As a convicted felon he cannot own a firearm. The Judge also will recommend to CP&W that his hunting and fishing privileges in Colorado and all compact states be suspended for life.

My own opinion is he got off pretty light. I think more jail time and a larger fine are in order.

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
The hunter who was convicted of criminally negligent homicide was sentenced last Friday here in Cortez to 90 days in jail, 12 months' state-supervised probation, $500 fine and 100 hours of community service. As a convicted felon he cannot own a firearm. The Judge also will recommend to CP&W that his hunting and fishing privileges in Colorado and all compact states be suspended for life.

My own opinion is he got off pretty light. I think more jail time and a larger fine are in order.
I agree with you CC, he got off very light. 90 days and $500 fine for killing someone? That is crazy.

Reactions: mallardsx2

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
What it comes down to is a very stupid neglectful accident. I am surprised that CP&W didn't address the problem of both seasons, archery and muzzle loader running at the same time without requiring archery hunters to at the very least have to wear some orange camouflage during those 9 days.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I agree it seems light a fairly light punishment but, if he is a decent human being, the regret of the incident haunting him forever is far worse than anything else they could have given him. I can't imagine what it would be like. I feel bad for all involved and pray everyone can move on.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
What it comes down to is a very stupid neglectful accident. I am surprised that CP&W didn't address the problem of both seasons, archery and muzzle loader running at the same time without requiring archery hunters to at the very least have to wear some orange camouflage during those 9 days.
The Judge recommended that CP&W make some changes in the way the seasons are now structured. I am quoting the newspaper: "In January 2022, CPW staff made a policy recommendation to the Colorado Parks & Wildlife Commission that would have required archery hunters to wear fluorescent orange or pink during the overlapping muzzleloader season in September. The fatal shooting....created a push for the new rule adjustment. But the policy recommendation was rejected by the commission, which sited strong opposition in the bowhunting community."

I'm with you, something has to be done. My opinion is that muzzleloaders be giveb their own season, either during (No archery allowed) or at the end of the archery season.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
How about we just do away with the muzzleloader season all together?

Problem solved.