Does it makes sense anymore?

lukew

Administrator
Jul 1, 2019
Is hunting in multiple states becoming less and less logistically feasible? With point creep, tag cost, cost of fuel, and many other factors I feel as if the idea of hunting other states is heading for a thing of the past. I have had multiple conversations with guys moving out West for the sole reason to hunt as a resident. This question came up in a conversation, I thought I would relay the question.

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
I think a very small percentage of people move for the sole reason of hunting. In my case living in Arkansas offers many outdoor activities. Not sure I would gain a whole lot. We have much longer seasons for deer. The types of game differ, but hunting is pretty good. Fishing seems much better here and can be done year around. A big factor for me is much milder winters. I love hunting out West but not sure I would give up what I have here and move just for hunting.

Reactions: lukew and Prerylyon

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Non-resident tag available will be the biggest impact. 90-10 is well on its way for elk, deer, and antelope in Wyoming; maybe within the next 10 years? Earlier if Outfitters can get a guaranteed allotment that keeps them profitable. Really the outfitters would be the only ones within the state to fight for non-resident tags. It would be interesting to see what kinds of declines in nonresident applications happen this spring (if there are any declines at all). There is so much demand compared to supply I don't think things are bad enough for most folks. Plenty of folks with plenty of money.

Its funny you mention folks moving to Wyoming due to tags. Our company attorney is seriously thinking about doing just that. I can't remember his point totals (he applies for every single species in Wyoming) but he has a lot. Given the 90-10 situation he is seriously considering moving to Wyoming for a few years until he gets all his tags. Our company actually did better with all of us working from home than when we were coming into the office every day. We can pretty much move anywhere now that has decent internet. I'll be an empty nester this fall. Considering living in my hunting cabin fall/winter and then spending spring/summer where I can fish (walleye and smallies). Looking at devil's lake in ND and a few different places in Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
If you are willing to hunt more to fill the freezer than bring home horns, then you can actually hunt almost every year. I do apply for does when I know it will be almost impossible to draw the buck or bull tag I want. I also am satisfied with different species. I will settle for a doe antelope or deer if I can't get a buck tag. I will also try to get a cow elk tag. My family loves to eat game meat and I can have fun filling the freezer too.

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
I think Residents need to concentrate on improving hunting and taking advantage of what they have in their states.

Hunting as a NR has always been a luxury and the most complaining I'm hearing is from the johnnie-come-lately's that have jumped on the traveling hunter bandwagon being pushed by every outdoor magazine, podcast, and website.

I started hunting in 1979 and didn't do a single NR hunt until 1995. My Grandfather never once hunted out of Montana in the 80+ years he hunted (well, he did hunt roe deer in 1944-45 while over-seas via Uncle Sam).

My Father and Brother never hunted out of state until 2002 and only have because I live in Wyoming.

IMO, there are unrealistic expectations for a lot of NR hunting. I have applied for over 20 years in a lot of states for about everything offered and there are still states I haven't drawn a single tag for (UT and NV).

I've been concentrating on my own State a lot more lately and I expect that will continue.

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
Non-resident tag available will be the biggest impact. 90-10 is well on its way for elk, deer, and antelope in Wyoming; maybe within the next 10 years? Earlier if Outfitters can get a guaranteed allotment that keeps them profitable. Really the outfitters would be the only ones within the state to fight for non-resident tags. It would be interesting to see what kinds of declines in nonresident applications happen this spring (if there are any declines at all). There is so much demand compared to supply I don't think things are bad enough for most folks. Plenty of folks with plenty of money.

Its funny you mention folks moving to Wyoming due to tags. Our company attorney is seriously thinking about doing just that. I can't remember his point totals (he applies for every single species in Wyoming) but he has a lot. Given the 90-10 situation he is seriously considering moving to Wyoming for a few years until he gets all his tags. Our company actually did better with all of us working from home than when we were coming into the office every day. We can pretty much move anywhere now that has decent internet. I'll be an empty nester this fall. Considering living in my hunting cabin fall/winter and then spending spring/summer where I can fish (walleye and smallies). Looking at devil's lake in ND and a few different places in Minnesota and Wisconsin.
Tell your attorney friend he better burn his deer, elk, and pronghorn points as those are worthless as a Resident. He better have 20+ points for sheep and moose.

Reactions: lukew and Naturebob

lukew

Administrator
Jul 1, 2019
I think Residents need to concentrate on improving hunting and taking advantage of what they have in their states.

Hunting as a NR has always been a luxury and the most complaining I'm hearing is from the johnnie-come-lately's that have jumped on the traveling hunter bandwagon being pushed by every outdoor magazine, podcast, and website.

I started hunting in 1979 and didn't do a single NR hunt until 1995. My Grandfather never once hunted out of Montana in the 80+ years he hunted (well, he did hunt roe deer in 1944-45 while over-seas via Uncle Sam).

My Father and Brother never hunted out of state until 2002 and only have because I live in Wyoming.

IMO, there are unrealistic expectations for a lot of NR hunting. I have applied for over 20 years in a lot of states for about everything offered and there are still states I haven't drawn a single tag for (UT and NV).

I've been concentrating on my own State a lot more lately and I expect that will continue.
I couldn't agree more.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Tell your attorney friend he better burn his deer, elk, and pronghorn points as those are worthless as a Resident. He better have 20+ points for sheep and moose.
Yeah, he mentioned more than 20 for sheep and moose.

Reactions: lukew

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
The 2020 factor is a huge piece of this equation too. Eventually the economy will figure out what normal is and people will start to behave accordingly. Point creep is going to be a problem though no matter what, we have now stacked a LOT of people into the system.

Reactions: lukew and Prerylyon

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Yeah, he mentioned more than 20 for sheep and moose.
Pre 90/10, non-residents actually required fewer points for many of the premium tags. For instance, area 38 moose was drawn at 23 points for non-residents and 25/26 points for residents. I am guessing even post 90/10 he is going to have a very long wait if a tag like that is his goal.

Reactions: BuzzH

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
if your a poor boy save your money and buy a beef.
those who have money to burn will always pay the going rate to do what they enjoy.

I think many will get fed up and give up on nr hunting but most won't

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
Where there's a will, there's a way. I got started in my early 40s. It can be done on a shoestring budget. I don't have a fancy rifle. My truck is 10 yrs old. No, I don't have a trophy room with high scoring heads, but I've gotten out west to hunt almost every year for the last several; and filled tags on 3/5 trips, while having a great time in amazing country. A more universal 90/10 (or worse) allocation across the west will suck for non residents like me, if and when it comes, but I'll figure it out, and adapt somehow.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Unfortunately, Im seeing a lot of people tighten their belts on their family to feed their western hunting addiction.

That doesn’t sound feasible to me. A guy I know told me he used his tax return for his Wyoming application….two sentences later he was telling me how he couldn’t afford his truck payment any more and his kids braces for their teethe were going to bankrupt him…..

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
With limited time off during hunting season, I can’t really hunt multiple states, not including my own. Even though it’s getting harder to draw certain tags, there’s still lots of opportunities for me to hunt out west. Even if it’s a doe or cow tag, I see it as still enjoying the mountains and learning an area. That way if or when I do draw the better buck or bull tag, I’d have a good idea of where to look. A few states I have points in, I know that it’s likely that I won’t draw the tag til I’m old. But I’m ok with that. I see those as my once in life opportunity. I’ll never stop hunting or enjoying the outdoors. There’s areas at home I can squeeze a little tighter without sacrificing anything financial for my family. Where there is a will, there’s a way. Gotta deal with the cards we are dealt on a daily basis!

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
Unfortunately, Im seeing a lot of people tighten their belts on their family to feed their western hunting addiction.

That doesn’t sound feasible to me. A guy I know told me he used his tax return for his Wyoming application….two sentences later he was telling me how he couldn’t afford his truck payment any more and his kids braces for their teethe were going to bankrupt him…..
How many guys also make sure they smoke a pack of cigs a day, whack down a 12 pack of PBR, and also can't afford their truck payments and braces for their kids?

It isn't any concern of yours if other people's kids teeth resemble a remake of Jaws or the bank ends up with their F-250.

Reactions: Naturebob and lukew

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I for one couldn't care less about the financial woes of others. I do however believe we should bring back debtor prisons and slavery to combat the poor decisions.

decisions have consequence. at least they used to .

now ,"itaint mah fault !" is the mantra of losers.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I totally agree with Muley Bound....you can get out west and hunt every year if you don't focus all your energy and $ on "Trophy Tags". On my 22 or so hunts out west, I have been mostly successful, but never put a tag on a B&C critter. I shot some nice ones for sure, but the most memorable was a solo hunt where I spent 8 days at 10K to12K feet and eventually tagged a 142" buck with my muzzle-loader. That area still takes 0 pts. for that tag & is rated blue chip for the early rifle tag...same area, same dates.
Eastman's and other magazines focus on the "best" areas that generally take a lot of points, but if you want multiple experiences, then it is hard to build points. I used 10 deer points, and spend 13 days in one of the best rated areas in CO, and never saw a shooter buck. I used 13 pts. for a MZL elk hunt in CO in 2019, and shot a 5x5, and it was a fabulous time with no regrets. Going forward, I will never build up more than the minimum to draw a GEN elk or deer tag in WY, and will be hunting CO in between. Even with only a two state plan I have been able to get out west every year, and usually twice.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
I totally agree with Muley Bound....you can get out west and hunt every year if you don't focus all your energy and $ on "Trophy Tags". On my 22 or so hunts out west, I have been mostly successful, but never put a tag on a B&C critter. I shot some nice ones for sure, but the most memorable was a solo hunt where I spent 8 days at 10K to12K feet and eventually tagged a 142" buck with my muzzle-loader. That area still takes 0 pts. for that tag & is rated blue chip for the early rifle tag...same area, same dates.
Eastman's and other magazines focus on the "best" areas that generally take a lot of points, but if you want multiple experiences, then it is hard to build points. I used 10 deer points, and spend 13 days in one of the best rated areas in CO, and never saw a shooter buck. I used 13 pts. for a MZL elk hunt in CO in 2019, and shot a 5x5, and it was a fabulous time with no regrets. Going forward, I will never build up more than the minimum to draw a GEN elk or deer tag in WY, and will be hunting CO in between. Even with only a two state plan I have been able to get out west every year, and usually twice.
haha. Blue units are typically the ones I avoid the most due to points required to draw.

Reactions: lukew