Do you hunt alone?

blacktailhunter

May 17, 2018
Yacolt, WA
I prefer to hike into an area with a friend, then split up and come back to an agreed meeting spot at an agreed time. that way we don't mess up each other by making noise, and we can help each other pack out anything we shoot.

ppine

May 20, 2018
northern Nevada
I hunted with my Dad and two brothers for decades in 5-6 different states. Sometimes we would have a friend or two along. My family got older and fatter and quit hunting. In the last 8 years or so I have hunted with guys that were drunks, not safe, or didn't pay for anything. They were good in the bush and have hunting skills. I just get tired of all the BS associated with going out with them. I really like to hunt elk best, but the thought of carrying out elk quarters in the dark by myself as I approach 70 is not that appealing. My hunting career is about over as a consequence. Now I shoot with a camera and have gotten serious about fishing.

highplainsdrifter

Very Active Member
May 4, 2011
Wyoming
I hunted with my Dad and two brothers for decades in 5-6 different states. Sometimes we would have a friend or two along. My family got older and fatter and quit hunting. In the last 8 years or so I have hunted with guys that were drunks, not safe, or didn't pay for anything. They were good in the bush and have hunting skills. I just get tired of all the BS associated with going out with them. I really like to hunt elk best, but the thought of carrying out elk quarters in the dark by myself as I approach 70 is not that appealing. My hunting career is about over as a consequence. Now I shoot with a camera and have gotten serious about fishing.
You might want to try llamas. Sounds like they'd be much better partners than the ones you have been hunting with! I doubt they'd get drunk.

https://elknetwork.com/llamas-will-extend-my-backcountry-elk-hunting-days-randy-newberg/

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Funny you mention the drunks...

I drank like a fish in my 20's (Wish I had all of that money back...)

Some of my friends are still trying to ride that wave....I'm watching them surf that wave out of sight daily.

I still have a few beers but I certainly don't have a hangover.

SouthForkguy

Oct 11, 2015
Wisconsin price county
Ive also had some interesting stories with hunting "partners", honestly much better off alone. I had never hunted with anyone else aside from making deer drives back home, until taking trips to wyoming. Even as i start to get into elk hunting i feel like ill be better off solo. In the future id be more than willing to share camp but hunt alone. I realize help with packing an elk out would be monumental

Magnum Hunter

May 22, 2018
Pennsylvania
The vast majority of my hunting is done solo. There's the occasional hunt around home that a buddy or my wife will tag along (having young kids limits our time afield together for a little while till they get old enough to go), but it's mostly just me. I make sure she knows where I plan to be and who else knows the area if needed. Last year was my first western hunt with a coworker and a group that goes every year. That led to bear hunting back home with the same guy and a different group. Having not had opportunities like that before, it was a very welcomed change! I'm going back to Colorado this year and hope to continue as often as possible. Fortunately the Colorado group all has the same mindset on hunting and no one grows an attitude while out there. Solo and group hunting both have their ups and downs, but being out with a partner or two seems to add some extra incentive to hunt a little harder and stay out longer which gives better odds of sealing the deal. At least for me anyhow...

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
When I first started Elk hunting many moons ago I hunted with a great friend in Montana. Covered a lot of mountains the two of us. He passed away young and I hunted about ten years out west on my own. Very hard to find anyone that can leave the east coast for 2-4 weeks to to go west. A few years ago found someone that had no issues going. This year will be our third year bow hunting together. It is nice having someone else in camp and chasing these crazy Elk around. The older I get it feels good to share the experiences and the highs as well as the lows of hunting the high country.

NEWHunter

Jun 11, 2016
Brookfield, WI
Thanks for the thread hskrhntr. My wife thinks I have to be just about the craziest/dumbest guy around for heading out to Wyoming this fall by myself for my first western hunt. My group and I were supposed to burn our four antelope points this year but then they all had something come up. I'm a bit more of a diehard than they are so I pulled a second chance antelope tag in a unit that has some big chunks of public land where you can get several miles from the nearest public road. I'd really prefer not to be making this trip alone, but I couldn't wait anymore and just decided I was going to figure out how to get it done.

I know, antelope is probably the physically easiest DIY backpack hunt a guy can do and probably the safest barring a freak lightning storm. However, this will be my first hunt outside of Wisconsin and my first time ever backpacking and camping. My wife is worried I'm going to die out there, but at least now I can show her that according to this thread, dozens of guys do a lot more dangerous solo hunts than I'm planning and live to post about them. ;)

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Thanks for the thread hskrhntr. My wife thinks I have to be just about the craziest/dumbest guy around for heading out to Wyoming this fall by myself for my first western hunt. My group and I were supposed to burn our four antelope points this year but then they all had something come up. I'm a bit more of a diehard than they are so I pulled a second chance antelope tag in a unit that has some big chunks of public land where you can get several miles from the nearest public road. I'd really prefer not to be making this trip alone, but I couldn't wait anymore and just decided I was going to figure out how to get it done.

I know, antelope is probably the physically easiest DIY backpack hunt a guy can do and probably the safest barring a freak lightning storm. However, this will be my first hunt outside of Wisconsin and my first time ever backpacking and camping. My wife is worried I'm going to die out there, but at least now I can show her that according to this thread, dozens of guys do a lot more dangerous solo hunts than I'm planning and live to post about them. ;)
I keep my life insurance premium paid, that helps my wife relax. Lol!

fackelberry

Aug 27, 2013
Wyoming
I am like alot of you. I hunt alone 90% of the time. I used to have a good hunting partner for a few years that would hike and backpack in with me and stay days and have a good time. We don't really talk much anymore and he has other hobbies that interest him more. I think it's hard for me to find good partners is because i rarely find somebody as passionate about it as i am. They want to do it and say they will but when time comes, seems something always comes up and i go alone. Or they don't prepare like alot of people. I about hiked my overweight friend to death one year elk hunting. I got into pretty good shape and lost about 30 pounds before hunting season, he wanted to go with and the first big ridge we climbed took him forever and i thought i would be packing him out. needless to say he said NEVER again will he go elk hunting with me. We still hunt coyotes or deer where its not hard walking, but no more mountains for that guy. haha. I can't complain about hunting alone, i have taken my biggest mule deer,elk and whitetail hunting alone. All those trips i asked someone to go and they couldn't or didn't want to. They were disapointed after i got back though. Since i have became a member of this forum, i have talked to a few of you guys on the phone, but havn't actually met anyone yet. I gave some advice to a guy on an elk area that he had max points for and drew. I told him i would show him around and spots i have shot elk. I am willing to help people as long as i get help in return. I think thats how we all could make friends and potential hunting partners.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
For me it depends on the length of the trip. If it's a day or weekend trip I'd rather hunt alone. Fewer variables to worry about: how's his scent control? Is he going to step on that twig? But for a longer trip I'd MUCH rather have a buddy. I'm hunting in Colorado now in areas where there's zero cell service for an hour's drive any direction. I'm pretty crazy about safety - my IFAK has stuff you guys would probably laugh at me carrying, like a chest seal (buys a few hours if you get a gunshot wound). But even so. Slip, knock your head, land in the stream, and it's "do I have a buddy with me or not?" whether you make it back out.

All you guys hunting with people who can't stand the altitude... do you just hop in the car with random folks you know and "go hunting?" The guy I'm considering hunting with this season, we've been out scouting like 4-5 times in our target GMU and a few others, 5-10 mile hikes to collect data and get "eyes on the scene". I would never hunt with somebody I've never been out with before. Maybe it's just me but I feel like I wouldn't even call it a "hunting buddy" if it's the first time out with them...