Do you hunt alone?

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I have hunted alone on occasion for archery hunts in the past. Rifle hunts have been with either my spouse, my long time hunting buddy/best friend or my uncle. Although, it’s been nice last 4 seasons that my spouse has taken up archery hunting. She has always shot a bow for the enjoyment of shooting but now chases elk. Honestly, it’s not a big deal to hunt alone but it’s nice to have an extra set of eyes with you..
and an extra back for packing when you do kill something,
which brings us to another reason I like to hunt alone ,it is nice to NOT have an extra mouth along.
extra mouth means packing more food , which is not really a big deal so long as that mouth packs it. but an extra mouth also means more noise and in general less sighting of game.

is there any among us who have hunted with another who just WOULD NOT SHUT UP?:D

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
Elk I hunt archery with either my father, uncle, friends, kidos, or wife I am seldom alone maybe one elk hunt a year. Camp is large and filled with mutiple family's and kids from age 2-12 as well as many non hunting folks. Bulls are not large but if the weather holds a good time. Sometimes we can drive as far as a hour to hunt but worth it to be in camp.

Muleys archery I scout and hunt all solo. Makes it harder but I have not found too many folks who put in the time scouting that I do and hard to turn over even the unit where a large buck is. Sometimes I dont even tell the wife what basins I am going to look at.. Lately a few mule deer guys I talk with and value their opinion strongly feel that 2 people a spotter and hunter give a big advantage and have pushed me to get a partner. I agree it would help but have not taken that step yet.... Also with mule deer I will move on a whim in the middle of the night if needed and adding other folks to the process slows the decision. I like it that way it seems mule deer is so fluid of a hunt you never know where it will take you.

kelso

Nov 18, 2012
I also hunt (fish) alone 90% of the time. I do enjoy company, but I don't like to be under someone else's time frame. If I want to stay out all day, if I want to go home early and watch a football game, it doesn't effect anyone else either way. I live in Washington on the wet side, and hunt blacktails and elk. My wife hates it, but she always knows which way I'm headed.

hunter25

Very Active Member
Sep 8, 2016
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
I Hunt only with my son or daughter. If they don't have tags then I Hunt alone. More often than I like but I don't enjoy hunting with others as I do with them.

A few rare exceptions but very limited

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I almost always hunt alone at home. However when traveling 2,000+ miles to hunt, I like to share the trip travel and camp, even if I hunt alone. I've only gone west once alone. I had a great time, but the drive back home was longggggggggggg after 8 days of hunting and the drive out.

DanPickar

Mar 4, 2014
Wyoming
I hunt alone very rarely but it happens. I just flew to New Zealand and spent 6 days alone in the backcountry. It was fun but would have been better with a buddy. I don't prefer it but do if I have to. My brother prefers hunting alone. But thats his hunting style though. He worries too much what the other guy is doing. Always best to hunt with a buddy just for safety concerns.

BrettKoenecke

Jun 28, 2013
Lucky to have great hunting companions. They seem to be younger and fitter than I am but they still take me along with them. I wonder if its easier to find them in a great place like SD, but it might be that I've worked harder to find and keep them. We've been a lot of great places over the years, and I think they appreciate it.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Come on Dan. Using a cameraman does not quantify as hunting alone! :rolleyes: :p

I hunt alone very rarely but it happens. I just flew to New Zealand and spent 6 days alone in the backcountry. It was fun but would have been better with a buddy. I don't prefer it but do if I have to. My brother prefers hunting alone. But thats his hunting style though. He worries too much what the other guy is doing. Always best to hunt with a buddy just for safety concerns.

jtm307

Jan 12, 2016
Wyoming
I prefer to hunt solo. If I didn't have kids, I'd hunt solo most of the time. I take them along and lower my hunting expectations so they can have a good time. When I'm solo, I love the freedom to simply do my own thing, and I really don't mind packing meat by myself. Doing so simply means more time in the field and more exercise. I like hunting with others as well, but hunting becomes a means to an end those times, since my hunting partners are people I usually don't see much until hunting season. Hunting becomes the excuse to hang out. Last year I hunted solo a total of 4 days out of 12 days hunting big game with a tag of my own in hand. I filled 2 out of 5 tags those 4 days.

Brianh

Jan 1, 2013
Rhinelander, WI
I live in the midwest and have hunted elk for 15 years with the same friend. Got started way to late in life and this year I'll be 60. However, that same friend will not hunt for antelope or mule deer so I've either gone alone or asked a different friend or brother the past couple of years. In the later case, the experience and hunts are not as satisfying because they do not have the same respect of the chase, or are not as physically able. So, in the past couple of years, I've been doing the non-elk hunt on my own. I find it very hard to find a hunting partner that I'm comfortable with or has the same drive or ethics.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I hunted 17 out of 23 days solo last year in my three trips west. Of the two trips planned for this year, one was solo until I was able to get a second sister to go along. The first sister dropped out last year for health reasons, but #2 has all summer to work on her conditioning, and since she won't be hunting it won't be a deal breaker if she drops out. Now my wife's concerns aren't about my hunting alone...rather that she's actually my step-sister, and kind of cute too. Must be one of those woman things.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Did some scouting yesterday in my favorite unit but in a area I’ve never been. Pretty excited about what I saw.

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
I hunt alone often. I had a hunting partner for a long time that I hunted with and we did very well together. We parted ways about ten years ago, I miss those days. I hunt with my girls a lot too but it’s way different that when he and I hunted together. I’m more of a guide when I hunt with them. When I hunt Solo is the only time I can hunt without worrying about others.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I hunt alone often. I had a hunting partner for a long time that I hunted with and we did very well together. We parted ways about ten years ago, I miss those days. I hunt with my girls a lot too but it?s way different that when he and I hunted together. I?m more of a guide when I hunt with them. When I hunt Solo is the only time I can hunt without worrying about others.
This sounds like fishing with your kids. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk