Disappointed in Bushnell

Kevin W

Jan 26, 2013
So my Bushnell rangefinder is losing parts of the display. So I sent it in with their online form and got the rangefinder back just 6 days later with a note saying it was out of warranty and they don't repair rangefinders, Also in the letter Bushnell said I could call them about it. So I called Bushnell about fixing my range finder. The guy was more than willing to sell me the new latest and greatest one "the versa" if I had a credit card handy but when I asked the yardage of it closest to farthest he didn't know. I asked the warranty on the versa and he said one year if I was going to use it hunting or two years if I was going to use it golfing. He seemed annoyed that I didn't order one. Disappointed in Bushnell on this one.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I gave up on Bushnell a long long time ago.

I don't even consider them a entry level optic anymore.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015

The last pair I had were in my old tree-house I built behind my dads place and thats where they are still at if it is still standing. lol

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I actually have a compact pair of 8x something that are over 30 years old. They rode around in my company truck until I retired. I just saw they the other day and decided that they need to go into my truck just to have a pair in it. If I am hunting or actually looking for game I'll bring my Swaro's along but for just looking they are a good set.

I wished that I would of gotten a couple of pairs of them when I bought them.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I've got a pair of 8x Bshnell Legend binos that are my backups. I can't hardly look through them, they offend my eyes so bad. They make a decent space occupier in my ATV cargo hold.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I think they make pretty good glass, comparable with Vortex. Marketing sucks tho.
I don't think they are in the same realm as Vortex personally. I have had some ok glass from Bushnell in the past but their warranty and quality is severely lacking when it comes to range finders. Vortex offers a lifetime warranty, functions better, and has clearer glass.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho

I never did.
I have a spotting scope I like ok (for the price ) but every other product of theirs I ever tried was useless garbage.

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
There is a reason Bushnell products are so cheap. As the saying goes "you get what you pay for."
That being said my dad had a Bushnell Banner scope on his rifle for at least 40 years before it finally gave up the ghost.

Kevin W

Jan 26, 2013
If I remember right when I bought these new they were $400.00 to some that may be cheap but for me it's a pretty good amount. As far rangefinders go this one can / could range a deer for me out to 600 or so yards which seems pretty good to me as well. I just can't fathom why a repair isn't possible, even at a cost. Looks like the Vortex 1300 or 1800 may be in my future plans. The Vortex rangefinders have an unlimited lifetime warranty so I would have that going for me.

Dos Perros

Jul 1, 2015
I don't think they are in the same realm as Vortex personally. I have had some ok glass from Bushnell in the past but their warranty and quality is severely lacking when it comes to range finders. Vortex offers a lifetime warranty, functions better, and has clearer glass.
Are you just talking rangefinders? I haven?t tried those but their top of the line 10x42?s are comparable to Vortex IMO.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Are you just talking rangefinders? I haven?t tried those but their top of the line 10x42?s are comparable to Vortex IMO.
Honestly I am talking everything they make. I haven't looked through their top of the line one's you mention so those may be better than the products I have experience with. They lost me as a customer years ago when I went through 3 of their scopes in one year. The first one was a factory defect. I exchanged it without issue. The second wouldn't hold zero at all the first day on the range. The third seemed to work well through the first couple range sessions but about 2 months later on an antelope hunt the glass developed condensation on the inside of the lens. These were not their top of the line but were the best I could afford at the time. I have since switched exclusively to top of the line Leupold for my scopes and Vortex for all other optics.

Kevin W

Jan 26, 2013
A rep from Bushnell called me this morning, (they had my cell number from the scan of the return form I sent in with the rangefinder). The rep started off by saying he checked to see if they had a display retical for my unit but do not so a repair was not possible. He told me he listened to my call to customer service yesterday and he was apologetic. To make amends he was prepared to offer a disco'd pair of Bushnell G Force DX rangefinders for $178.12 retail on this unit was $369.99 when current. I told him I appreciated the offer but in posting this issue on a couple different forums I found out that Vortex has a lifetime warranty with units in similar price points as current Bushnells. So as much as I liked my Pro 1600 I am going to go Vortex Ranger 1300 for $100.00 more than his offer of an out of date unit with a 1 year warranty.
Thanks for everyone's help and advice, Kevin.

BKC

Very Active Member
Feb 15, 2012
The high plains of Colorado
KevinW, That is a smart move. For $100, you get new product, better warranty ( better company that stands behind their product), and better reviews from more hunters that use it. Even if it performs the same, you will be happier with the company.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
That lifetime warranty does add a lot of value to your purchase.

Even if what you send in for repair and can't be repaired a good company will replace it with a product of equal or greater value. I have seen this on both Leupold and Vortex.

I think that you are making a good move.

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
I laughed when I saw the title of this thread. Still laughing. Thanks, I needed that.

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
If I remember right when I bought these new they were $400.00 to some that may be cheap but for me it's a pretty good amount. As far rangefinders go this one can / could range a deer for me out to 600 or so yards which seems pretty good to me as well. I just can't fathom why a repair isn't possible, even at a cost. Looks like the Vortex 1300 or 1800 may be in my future plans. The Vortex rangefinders have an unlimited lifetime warranty so I would have that going for me.
Give the new Sigs a look. They're nice.

TonySkyline

Nov 30, 2017
Interested in what ya think if ya get a vx-5hd. Im also considering one for my main hunting rifle.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk