Did eastmans and western Hunter magazine team up?

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
I got the new western hunter magazine in the mail the other day. I don't subscribe to it, but have bought stuff from the outdoorsman.
This has got to be the best western hunter mag to date. But it looks like western hunter has either copied eastmans and hired people from eastmans.
Or the 2 companies teamed up.

so which is it?

Love the sheep section of eastmans. Always a favorite.

thanks
tim

dhershberger

Jul 28, 2011
NM
Yeah it seems like all of my favorite eastmans editors have gone to different magazines like Western Hunter and Elk Hunter Magazine.
Ryan Hatfield and Nate Simmons went to Elk Hunter Magazine which makes me really mad. David Long left also which is a serious dissapointment.:mad: The only editors I recognize now are Adam Bender and South Cox. Seems like Eastmans has a tendency to lose excellent editors like Cameron Hanes for example. Its too bad. I can only imagine a magazine with David Long, Nate Simmons, Ryan Hatfield, and Cameron Hanes. That would be awesome!:D

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Not sure why that is but I agree they have lost some good talent. Eastmans is still the best IMO and with Guy and Ike at the helm it will always stay that way. Others will copy but the original will always be on top!

Vanish

Nov 28, 2011
Gunbarrel, CO
I've noticed some real problems with Eastman's editing recently ... at least, the proof-reading / spelling / grammar.

I'd be glad to trade some of my time for just compensation! :D

Kevin Root

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2011
San Jose, California
web.me.com
I just wish them all the best in their endeavors. I'm sure there were all sorts of reasons for folks moving on but for the most part I'll gather they wanted to move onward to advance their careers.

I was happy to hear Elk Hunter magazine Backcountry Editor, Nate Simmons, has gone through in painstaking detail and shared his detailed backpacking list for the current issue of Elk Hunter Magazine. It's always good to hear current thoughts and innovation as they transpire. I love the backcountry hunting.

I'm hoping they all, Eastmans', Elk Hunter Magazine and Western Hunter Magazine will all be successful publications. I'm hoping that phrase, "The More The Merrier" will hold true.

Last edited:

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I just wish them all the best in their endeavors. I'm sure there were all sorts of reasons for folks moving on but for the most part I'll gather they wanted to move onward to advance their careers.

I was happy to hear Elk Hunter magazine Backcountry Editor, Nate Simmons, has gone through in painstaking detail and shared his detailed backpacking list for the current issue of Elk Hunter Magazine. It's always good to hear current thoughts and innovation as they transpire. I love the backcountry hunting.

I'm hoping they all, Eastmans', Elk Hunter Magazine and Western Hunter Magazine will all be successful publications. I'm hoping that phrase, "The More The Merrier" will hold true.

I agree. Guys have to move on and they have their reasons.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
They have really made some changes to western hunter. I didnt like it much untill last issue. I signed up for elk hunter (mostly because of Ryan Hatfield) at our show and sofar only western hunter showed up in my mail box.

sab

Apr 13, 2011
I've noticed some real problems with Eastman's editing recently ... at least, the proof-reading / spelling / grammar.
Vanish:

You're not the only one to notice that. Spelling/grammar mistakes are a pet peeve of mine, and lately, every article has four or five blatant errors. It pains me to read them sometimes. I guess that's a byproduct of the texting generation. I'm not even sure that grammar is taught in schools these days. It's just sad to see our language degrading like that.

Scott