Deer Tag

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
Thanks Umpqua (Jim):
Now thats ironic, I'm Jim and I work at the mouth of the Umpqua!!!!

Yes I couldn't stand it and I looked up the points.
I was extremely fortunate to take a great BT up in Washington about 15 years ago which I will never top.... so you are right, I will not sit on those points that long.
Congrats on your kids White Tail.... how cool is that.
That is crazy! This summer/fall we will be camping a lot down at Lakeside and fishing chinooks out of Winchester Bay.

Thanks for the congrats, my oldest son has also shot a couple with his bow.

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
Welcome Oregon Jim, I saw your Blacktail on the other thread, what a brute! I have an idea for you as to where to use your deer points, I sent you a PM. Let me know what you think?

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
First post on here, actually I was digging for dirt on WY draw results, and I like the feel of this board!

A question for the other OR folks who mentioned the White River Late Blacktail hunt.
How many points would it take to have a real chance at that draw?
I know I can look it up but I'm concentrating the out-of-state deadlines first. (of course if Wyoming comes through then it's all over but the sheep & goat lottery at home)
I have 9 pts this year...... been putting in for White Horse but not hearing good things on that unit (not that points are good enough anyways).
Thanks
"nervously waiting for WY NR draw results"
Jim,
The NE Whitehorse MZ tag can be good, for the pts.(8 I think). I can point you in the direction I like there if you decided to go that way! I sent a buddy there last year and he had a quality hunt. Missed two real nice bucks, then settled on a nice 4 pt. 8-9 pts. is tough, kind of no mans land for deer in OR isn't it? I bet some of these guys have some great ideas though! Good Luck!

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
NE Whitehorse is a 10-11 point hunt, not worth it! I had it in '05. I was not impressed, I drew it with 5 points and swore I wouldn't do that again! Why it takes so many is because people think since it's in November it's easy, let me tell you, if the deer don't migrate out of Idaho, there are very few there. There are better hunts that only take 4-7 points to draw. IMO ODFW should delete the NE Whitehorse muzzy hunt.

OregonJim

Very Active Member
Feb 19, 2014
Oregon Coast
Thanks for the good info on WH,
I'll likely have 2 more points before I try to get a good OR deer draw.

As long as I am not jumping the gun on Wyoming results it's a mute point for me this year.
I'll just stick and string everything weekends in Sept here on the central coast.
Of course I'll do the lottery for sheep & goat but I can only afford the time off for one big trip.
Looks like WY then 1st season CO elk….. maybe a general E deer tag in WY while I'm there, if the wife's really generous……..
I have to come home sometime though!!

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
I'm right there with you Jim, IF I did draw Wyoming that will be my hunt for the year, points only in Or for me. I will try to get the daughter a deer tag though, most likely Paulina. If you decide to the Whitehorse muzzy in the future I will tell you all I know.

OregonJim

Very Active Member
Feb 19, 2014
Oregon Coast
I'm right there with you Jim, IF I did draw Wyoming that will be my hunt for the year, points only in Or for me. I will try to get the daughter a deer tag though, most likely Paulina. If you decide to the Whitehorse muzzy in the future I will tell you all I know.
Thanks
I really like that country but most of the feedback I've gotten is negative.
The thing I've learned is often the really tough areas tend to produce some great animals when you do get one. The thought of deer hunting it has been something I've dreamed about.
Maybe a different species in that neck of the woods is in order aye?
Anyways I'll get with you down the line and swap some info if you are up for it.

Oh and good luck with your daughters tag…… My kid is grown and living in Northern CO now and I smell an opportunity to hook up for a little deer excursion!!!!! Honestly that might be the best part of the hunt.

Last edited:

Rd2PD

Jun 27, 2018
We drew this tag for this upcoming season.... Any info would be appreciated....

Thanks
Pete