Deer Tag

newguy220

Jul 12, 2012
Idaho
I got a buddy with enough points to draw just about any tag he would want for deer. He was thinking the Trout Creek area, but don't know much about it and haven't heard anything that shows much promise.

I was wondering if anyone on here has any other suggestions on where to go?

Thanks,
newguy220

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
I sure wouldn't burn a bunch of point on the Trouts. I haven't heard much of anything out of there in a very very long time. I burned 16 points a few years ago, and watched that unit for a long time when I had a guaranteed tag, and never saw it being worth it.

How many points does your friend have? If he has a ton of them, the White River late November hunt is the best hunt in the state. It is for blacktails, but it may be the best blacktail tag in the whole northwest. Some truly huge blacktails come off of that hunt.

My thoughts are you can draw a far better mule deer tag in Colorado with a handful of points than you will draw in any unit in Oregon. There are few places if any you can kill a better blacktail consistently than that White River late hunt.

Last edited:

Springer

Jan 31, 2013
John Day, OR.
Colorado soured me a little bit with the new $40 charge for a preference point, if you didn't have a license last year. So, to keep building points in Colorado your looking at $53 a year. ($3 app fee and $10 habitat stamp)

White River late is a good option or perhaps Mt. Emily late. Trout Creek and the Steens should improve in the future because of the active management with the cat population.

The Deer

Nov 24, 2013
Eastern Oregon
I got a buddy with enough points to draw just about any tag he would want for deer. He was thinking the Trout Creek area, but don't know much about it and haven't heard anything that shows much promise.

Thanks,
newguy220
I think it depends on what you are looking to get out of a hunt. If you want a cool looking buck that is part blacktail but not by Boone and Crockett standards then White River might be your answer I have some ideas if your interested PM me what your buddy is looking for and I will respond with your best options.

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
Metolius late archey is one to look at. I agree that White river late would be a fantastic hunt too. The desert hunting in Oregon is tough, even the few rut hunts available aren't producing well lately. " The Deer" likely knows more about desert hunting than I.

Wild Country

Jan 29, 2012
OR
Metolius late archey is one to look at. I agree that White river late would be a fantastic hunt too. The desert hunting in Oregon is tough, even the few rut hunts available aren't producing well lately. " The Deer" likely knows more about desert hunting than I.
I second the archery Metolius hunt. I just may draw it this year!

newguy220

Jul 12, 2012
Idaho
Hey thanks for the info guys. What about the east side of Whitehorse? Or any of the units by Hells Canyon?

Thanks,
newguy220

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
From the areas your asking about it seems your buddy is looking for an open country hunt. IMO there are very few deer in any open areas in Oregon. I had a 2 week hunt in hells canyon a couple years ago, I saw a hand full of deer in that 2 weeks, one or two that were nice bucks. The unit I was in only takes a few points to draw. I hunted the Whitehorse Muzzle loader hunt in '05, 5 days hunting in November I saw 6-7 bucks, I shot a 22" 4x4 on that hunt, it was the biggest one I saw. While on that hunt I talked to the folks in Jordan Valley, they said all the deer are in Idaho.

Last edited:

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
I agree on the White River late tag. The NE Whitehorse MZ tag is a fun hunt, but it can be a little weather dependent, there is a couple nice pockets of resident deer, but weather pushes a lot over from ID. I'd definitely wait on the Trout Creeks for at least a couple years. He can draw a archery tag in the trouts last choice (unlimited) and still get another pt., if he wants to check it out first!

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
I agree on the White River late tag. The NE Whitehorse MZ tag is a fun hunt, but it can be a little weather dependent, there is a couple nice pockets of resident deer, but weather pushes a lot over from ID. I'd definitely wait on the Trout Creeks for at least a couple years. He can draw a archery tag in the trouts last choice (unlimited) and still get another pt., if he wants to check it out first!
One thing to clarify on that is the archery hunt in Trout Creek is "traditional" archery (recurve or long bow).

newguy220

Jul 12, 2012
Idaho
Thanks for the information everyone. I'll be sure to pass it on.
I asked about the Hells Canyon area because I've seen some very nice bucks come out of the Idaho side and wasn't sure how the Oregon side held up.

Also, I was looking at the map for Trout Creek and it says that some of the area is a BLM wilderness study area, what does that mean?

Thanks again,
newguy220

Last edited:

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
I asked about the Hells Canyon area because I've seen some very nice bucks come out of the Idaho side and wasn't sure how the Oregon side held up.

Thanks again,
newguy220

I can assure you the Oregon side is not like the Idaho side as far as deer and elk go.

halfslam

Nov 19, 2013
Eastern Oregon

Also, I was looking at the map for Trout Creek and it says that some of the area is a BLM wilderness study area, what does that mean?

Thanks again,
newguy220
You will find BLM Wilderness Study area signs all over the desert and I think there are 5 within the Trout Creeks. Within the study areas you can ride a bicycle or an "off-road vehicle" only on designated routes which are primarily the main roads. Most spur roads are signed. All cross country travel is not allowed except walking or horses. I'm not sure about game carts. It could present a huge problem for packing out an animal.

SirReelLife

Feb 16, 2014
Oregon

Thanks,
newguy220
I think Trout Creek was the place to go 20 years ago but I don't believe it's that anymore. If I had the points your friend had hands down I would apply for the Nov. Mt. Emily hunt. I grew up in the NE corner of the state and still hunt there annually for something, I can't think of any unit I'd burn that many points on a Muley for in that part of Oregon. Just my opinion though.

gschuer

Apr 20, 2011
I think Id do the Juniper muzzleloader hunt as my first choice for a true monster buck. Second choice would be to do the Metolius Bow hunt.

OregonJim

Very Active Member
Feb 19, 2014
Oregon Coast
First post on here, actually I was digging for dirt on WY draw results, and I like the feel of this board!

A question for the other OR folks who mentioned the White River Late Blacktail hunt.
How many points would it take to have a real chance at that draw?
I know I can look it up but I'm concentrating the out-of-state deadlines first. (of course if Wyoming comes through then it's all over but the sheep & goat lottery at home)
I have 9 pts this year...... been putting in for White Horse but not hearing good things on that unit (not that points are good enough anyways).
Thanks
"nervously waiting for WY NR draw results"

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
First post on here, actually I was digging for dirt on WY draw results, and I like the feel of this board!

A question for the other OR folks who mentioned the White River Late Blacktail hunt.
How many points would it take to have a real chance at that draw?
I know I can look it up but I'm concentrating the out-of-state deadlines first. (of course if Wyoming comes through then it's all over but the sheep & goat lottery at home)
I have 9 pts this year...... been putting in for White Horse but not hearing good things on that unit (not that points are good enough anyways).
Thanks
"nervously waiting for WY NR draw results"
Hi OregonJim…I'm a Jim from Oregon too.

I don't know if you are familiar with the Oregon Tag Draw Percentage website. This is done by the same guy who published the Oregon tag draw books that are often seen in sporting goods here in Oregon. Here is the link:

https://sites.google.com/site/oregontags/2014---100-series-buck-deer

With 9 preference points he is estimating 20+ years to draw the White River Late hunt. I had the tag in 2009, but not sure if I'd wait almost 30 years in total for the tag.

Last edited:

OregonJim

Very Active Member
Feb 19, 2014
Oregon Coast
Thanks Umpqua (Jim):
Now thats ironic, I'm Jim and I work at the mouth of the Umpqua!!!!

Yes I couldn't stand it and I looked up the points.
I was extremely fortunate to take a great BT up in Washington about 15 years ago which I will never top.... so you are right, I will not sit on those points that long.
Congrats on your kids White Tail.... how cool is that.