Davis wall tent

11C50

Oct 13, 2011
Edgar WI
I am considering buying a large wall tent to use as a base camp where we can spike out or day trip from. I am considering Davis tent. I hear they have a good reputation but i am looking for input on them either good or bad.

THANKS

raspy

Apr 15, 2016
ND
We bought one a few years back. It’s a 12x14. Use it just for 2 guys but would be still pretty comfortable with 4. Material is good. Haven’t had any rips or tears yet. We ended up picking up the frame at Home Depot to cut down on shipping costs. They will send the specs to you. Customer service is great and I would highly recommend them.

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
My Brother in law and I got a 16’x24’ last year, so far it’s been great. Very well made and have been very happy with it, it came with the angles and then we bought the pipe at Home Depot for the rest of the frame. Works perfect.

BrandonM

Nov 9, 2011
I've always heard great things about them. They are pretty much the cadillac of wall tents from a durability and longevity standpoint.

jmwyoming

Feb 28, 2013
Lost springs wy
Excellent choice. I bought one from them about January last year. 12x14. Dealt with Kyle. I got a door put on the back. I also got a a rain fly that is also my awning. I bought the awning side walls also. I went with a 4 pole section instead of 3. I had a neighbor make me a full zippered door for the front of the awning. We used the area to do all our cooking. Their tents are well made. Great people to deal with.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Davis, Montana Canvas......all the major names produce a solid product.

If you are looking to use this tent early season give Montana Canvas and their resilite walls tent series a review. Saves a ton of weight if you dont need the canvas walls for insulation and easily put up by one man.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I just bought a new Davis, already built the frame and have set it up once in my yard. As advertised and le offers said about, Cadillac of wall tents. I got screened front door and windows for warmer temps, zip it up and turn the heat on for cold temps. You won't be disappointed if you buy one!

Reactions: Bonecollector

Wyoming Hart

Very Active Member
Oct 10, 2014
Spring Run, PA
A Davis Tent is what my cousin has been using for the past 4 years and I've been there for the past 2 years. Have had no issues with it at all. Very dependable, fairly easy to setup, and haven't had any condensation inside at all. Can't recommend Davis enough.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Great tents that are durable and easy to set up. We are now using 3 of them for our larger camps. You can catch a sale occasionally if you are patient.

11C50

Oct 13, 2011
Edgar WI
Thanks for the confirmation guys. I have pretty much decided to go ahead and order the 16x24 from Davis. One thing I am wrestling with is the stove jack placement. Traditional placement is usually just inside the door with the jack in the roof. We used a cheaper tent last year and it hit -17 one morning and it was darn chilly. I am wondering if moving the stove jack 6-8 feet towards the middle will help that much with getting heat better spread throughout the tent. I don't think I want it in the middle of the tent, but moving it inwards a bit might be OK, giving a place for a cook station and boot drying by the door. Any opinions?

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Thanks for the confirmation guys. I have pretty much decided to go ahead and order the 16x24 from Davis. One thing I am wrestling with is the stove jack placement. Traditional placement is usually just inside the door with the jack in the roof. We used a cheaper tent last year and it hit -17 one morning and it was darn chilly. I am wondering if moving the stove jack 6-8 feet towards the middle will help that much with getting heat better spread throughout the tent. I don't think I want it in the middle of the tent, but moving it inwards a bit might be OK, giving a place for a cook station and boot drying by the door. Any opinions?
Yes. Move it into the middle as much as possible.
If you can figure out how to put it smack dab middle do it.
Problem are how to put that top piece of the stove pipe on. Cleaning the spark arrestor if burning alot of pine and gettin it down into the tent with out dumpin a ton of soot into your living space.

Those were the issues I had when putting it middle tent, length and width. Instead I moved it middle tent just to one side, just like its in the corner as far as distance, just down a panel or two.

Last edited:

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Agree with Slugz to move it to the middle. Or have two stoves one on each end, but that'll eat up some space.

Wyoming Hart

Very Active Member
Oct 10, 2014
Spring Run, PA
What kind of stove do you have? We have a Colorado Cylinder stove, not sure the size, but roughly 2' long and 14" wide. It is just inside the door of our tent and if we stuff it full before falling asleep, it keeps things toasty for quite a while. I sleep on the floor at the opposite end and stay warm. If you can get it closer to the middle, I think that would be better. Good luck!

11C50

Oct 13, 2011
Edgar WI
What kind of stove do you have? We have a Colorado Cylinder stove, not sure the size, but roughly 2' long and 14" wide. It is just inside the door of our tent and if we stuff it full before falling asleep, it keeps things toasty for quite a while. I sleep on the floor at the opposite end and stay warm. If you can get it closer to the middle, I think that would be better. Good luck!
THANKS GUYS. yep I also came to the conclusion that moving it towards the middle about 8 feet may help spread the heat out, still provide a sleeping space near the door if needed. Placing my order today.