Coyotes killed our family dog!

CrossCreeks

Veteran member
Mar 6, 2014
Dover, Tennessee
Sorry about your dog, same thing happen to my mom's dog but the vet saved but it took a lot of sewing up. We we all surpised the coyotes came so close to the house during daylight . Now when my wife has her dachusond outside we really have to watch. Pop everyone you can !

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I dont know if this is legal there either (could still be legal in Montana! lol) but get an old cow or pig or something and shoot it and put foot traps around it. I killed 17 yotes that way once with 1 cow that died!
Musket,

The is illegal in most states and you will end up getting as many crows, hawks and eagles as you do dogs. In most states, you can't have bait visible at all. Look up on line how to make a dirt hole set. They are extremely effective and you won't ever get a bird.

Another idea is to use a house cat in a cage while calling. Coyotes that get used to killing pets are sometimes suckers for a cat meowing from a cage.

RockChucker30

Feb 22, 2014
Tennessee
trapperman.com is a great resource for trapping or snaring coyotes. Predatormasters is more geared to calling and is also a great resource.

Fence crossings and culverts under roads are natural places to snare coyotes with a low chance of deer by-catch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NE69

Jan 6, 2013
Southwest Nebraska
Had a brother-in-law shoot 27 coyotes off a dead cow couple years ago. I had a hard time believing that many but he is very honest. He set up a shooting bench in the barn and shot them at night. He would turn his spot light on and usually it would spook the coyotes. He would wait 5 minutes or so and turn it on again. After a few times they would stay and keep feeding. Pretty hard to miss a still coyote at 200 yards when you have a rest. This is legal in Nebraska with a hand held light.
Many years ago another relative picked up a fresh road killed deer and we set it out in the middle of a wheat stubble field. Next morning at daybreak as we got close there were dozens of fresh coyote tracks in the snow heading towards it. We were getting ready for action and knew this was going to be good. Nothing but tracks and bloody snow left. They had ate that 150 lb whitetail in one night and were laid up sleeping it off. We never saw any. Not sure how many coyotes there were but it must have been a party.

sticksnskullsia

Jul 29, 2012
Southwest Iowa
Hang your snares in trails and fence crossings. Hang the bottom of the snare about 8 to 10 inches off of the ground and make the loops about 6 to 8 inches in diameter. And if you catch a deer, they can be released. I've done it. Good luck.

jjenness

Very Active Member
Sep 30, 2011
Lewistown, MT
The pain just keeps on coming! So we had our first success, and failure, at snaring. Fortunately the snare worked, unfortunately it was on my wife's house cat. The wife is not to impressed with me right now, and the worst part was seeing my kids' face once they realized what had happened. My resolve is waning for taking out these yotes, not sure it is worth the trials and tribulations.

THelms

Administrator
Staff member
JJ,
Sorry to hear about your struggles but I have an idea.... The most successful I've ever been at taking out coyotes was with my old German Shepard. He was a great pet and kept ALL unwanted critters away from the house. I watched him run down and kill more than one coyote. I watched him scatter an entire pack much like wolves will do. He was merciless and would grab them by the middle of the back and shake until they were dead. I never saw him get more than a scratch or two. As mentioned he was also a wonderful pet! He was gentle, kind, and extremely protective of kids and other pets. Best non-hunting dog I've ever owned. When they are socialized right they are a joy and very good at keeping the unwanted's at bay. Your kids and wife will love him if you get one as a puppy.

Again, sorry for your troubles.

Jrod

Jan 30, 2012
Livermore, CA
Oh that's terrible. You may just want to forget the yotes and when you replace the dog, get a dog that can handle a coyote on its own. Lurcher, dogo. They are large dogs but will end a coyote right now and are great family dogs too. I have a decker rat terrier that goes bout 30 pounds. She can probably handle a single coyote on her own, probably not two at once though. They are great dogs for a family too. Good luck at home

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
unfortunately we have learned, that pets, that stray, go away. It is kind of hard to kill every predator around.
I wish you luck, but If you live on the outskirts of town, dead pets is part of the price of living there. not trying to be mean or calouse, just real.

tdub24

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2011
Carlin, NV
Dang jjenness, sorry to hear you lost another pet. I was thinking on the same line as Grizz, as long as you can train a german shepard to come back home, I agree he/she will keep coyotes away and be a great family dog.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Get a male Lab and get him cut as soon as he is old enough. My Labradors always held their own with the coyotes. Never had one run away either after they were fixed. Great family dogs and very easy to train. Should fix your coyote problem.

johnsd16

Mar 16, 2014
N Idaho
Snares are going to be your best bet for yotes. Much less work to keep functioning in tough weather and cheaper than foot trap. Also much higher yield than calling/shooting. Rally Hess is a great guy to get snares from in terms of quality, price and helpfulness. Google his name and "snares" and you will get his number. Get loaded snares, wherever you get them from though, all Rally's are loaded. This means the loop is shaped so it hangs in a circle instead of a tear drop, and they "fire" in a way when they hit the bottom of the loop reducing back outs. Avoid deer trails all together not because of catches but knock downs. Properly set coyote snares should not be an issue for house cats or deer. I use 8-10" loop 8-10" off the ground depending on terrain. I prefer to set in their natural travel path and not try to force them down much or use bait. Setting a carcass or bait pile is fine but hang snares no closer than 20yds, preferably much further on the trails then start to use. Further from the bait they will be moving less cautiously. I like 5/64" cable with a BMI mini lock. I anchor up high and use about 5-6' extensions so they wrap up. All you need is a bunch of snares (abou $1.25/ea), a roll of 11 or 14ga wire, some extensions, and a linesmans pliers. If you find a set of tracks find where it passes through some cover and/or an adequate place to support and anchor the snare and hang a loop. They walk in their EXACT tracks the next time they come through, unless there has been a big snow. Sometimes what looks like one set of tracks in the snow is really 2,3,4 or more yotes in a line walking right in the same tracks.

Satisfied customers

Last edited:

jjenness

Very Active Member
Sep 30, 2011
Lewistown, MT
So how much does the loop come into play? All the snares I set have that tear drop look, is this ok? Also I set them all on fence lines, and just hung them off the bottom strand of barb wire. Also, I did not put any extensions on the snares, will this still work? Lots of questions, but I guess it is going to be just a lot of trial and error.

johnsd16

Mar 16, 2014
N Idaho
So how much does the loop come into play? All the snares I set have that tear drop look, is this ok? Also I set them all on fence lines, and just hung them off the bottom strand of barb wire. Also, I did not put any extensions on the snares, will this still work? Lots of questions, but I guess it is going to be just a lot of trial and error.

With non-loaded or teardrop looped snares there is more drag of the lock in the cable while they close. Not as big of an issue if you are snaring in an area where you expect the animal to be moving quickly. I have seen enough evidence of back outs in the snow that I only use loaded cable. They can still do it when it's loaded but not if it gets behind their ears. With unloaded they can sometimes even back out with an ear or two in.

Snaring fences can get messy. What are you anchoring the snare to? Be ready to have the fence all but torn down if you do hook up a yote. When you snare a fence crawl under you really increase your chances for non target catches (non coyote in your case) because everything that is as tall or taller than that bottom strand has to duck under it and you will hook up things that would normally walk under a 10" high loop like cats, badgers, skunks, etc. Setting on a coyotes tracks you will rarely ever catch something else. You want to walk along side their trail off about 10' or more touching as little as you can around you. Then, when you see the spot you want to set come in from the side and make as little disturbance as possible. The snare needs to be supported well so the loop will stay in place until their head is in it and then come loose when the bottom of their neck really starts to pull. There is a learning curve but once you get the hang of snaring there is no better legal way to really thin out coyotes.

Ask away, I'm a FNG here and know little about western hunting but hanging coyotes I know something about.

Last edited: