Coyotes killed our family dog!

jjenness

Very Active Member
Sep 30, 2011
Lewistown, MT
Well over the weekend our little Boston Terrier was attacked and killed by a pack of coyotes. My 8 year old boy is pretty upset as this was his little buddy. Now my boy is dead set on killing coyotes so I am going to try and get some snares and see what we can do. My question is, does anybody have any suggestions on what type of snares to buy? We also have a lot of deer on our property so I want to make sure I get something that won't affect the deer. This will be my first rodeo as far as snaring goes so any and all advice is welcome. Thanks guys.

nvarcher

Very Active Member
Sep 28, 2011
Reno, Nevada
You can get deer stops for your snares. But you might also try footholds and take care of them that way. Deer just pull right out of those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mnhoundman

Veteran member
Oct 25, 2012
Minnesota
Sorry about your dog. I haven't used snares either, coyotes like deer trails to so you catch deer once and a while. Not sure how to prevent that, someone here should be able to help you out, good luck.

velvetfvr

Veteran member
May 6, 2012
Nv
I would set snares and break out the rifles. NO MERCY!!! Lol. Sorry about the dog, they got our ranch neighbors dog a couple years ago. Been full on assault on them buggers. Any in range get a lot of bullets heading their way.

jjenness

Very Active Member
Sep 30, 2011
Lewistown, MT
I have tried to call them in on a couple of different occasions and have not been able to get them in. The only reason that I am going to try and use snares is so that my boy can participate a lot more by actually learning how to set snares, checking them etc... I think he will get more out of checking the snares everyday since we have not been able to get them to come in to a call, which he can get bored of when nothing comes in. Plus he has been with me hunting and has shot his .22 a lot already so I am thinking this should keep him motivated to keep after the yotes.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
Very sorry about your boys dog. We can hardly keep a house pet alive between the coons, coyotes, bobcats and mountain lion around our house. We lost two of our three cats in the last few months.

swampokie

Veteran member
Jul 29, 2013
Haworth Oklahoma
You will have to use rifle or leghold traps. There is no way to get a deer out of a snare even if it has a stop on it. It will break its neck from all the flopping and pulling it will do. They will also injure you in the process. Trust me ive been mauled removing deer from hog traps.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
I dont know if this is legal there either (could still be legal in Montana! lol) but get an old cow or pig or something and shoot it and put foot traps around it. I killed 17 yotes that way once with 1 cow that died!

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
I'd make some leghold sets and go that route. You could probably pick up a roadkilled deer and trap them like Musket Man mentioned. My wife bought a boston terrior right before we were married. They aren't much for hunting but are great family dogs. Sorry for your loss.

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
Put some meat bait in a thicket and snare every opening into it. Keep the bottom of the snare about 10-12 inches off the ground, that should pretty much eliminate the chance of catching a deer. Best of luck, and very sorry about your little buddy.

WY ME

Very Active Member
Feb 4, 2014
Wyoming
Check the Montana's laws before you buy any snares. They may have loop size restrictions, stop requirements and breakaway poundage requirements. You will probably need to tag your snares and may need to buy a trapping license as well. Buy a trapping book for more info on how to trap & snare coyotes. Craig O'gorman should have some books. He was one of the big names in coyote trapping back in the 1970's and 80's. He's from eastern Montana or you could look up www.minntrapprod.com for books and supplies. Tim Caven has had this business forever and he's also a good trapper. Learn how to trap or snare before you go out or you'll end up catching everything but a coyote (dogs, deer, antelope, birds). Good luck, I hope you catch those dog killing b@$+ards.

Last edited:

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
As already stated check your regs on the legality of snares, but if you set snares with deer stops to protect leg catches and don't snare fence under crossings and situations where a deer puts it's head down, you shouldn't catch an adult deer if the snare is set at the proper height for a coyote. I, also agree with using footholds, but a nice dirt hole or scent post set works great, without so much risk of catching non-target species, like birds of prey. If you look up a place called F&T post, it will have everything you need including how to DVD's, traps, snares, lure etc. Coyotes are a lot less wary if you set up in the open, using a old bleached bone, a rock etc. as backing near a natural funnel. Set a nice little dirt hole set right in front of the backing to keep him from circling and direct him over your trap. Make sure your trap is scent free and bedded real well. Mist the whole set with coyote urine and sit back and wait to meet him face to face!:) ( There are tons of variations to these snare and foothold sets, watch out trapping is addictive!) Sorry about your boys little buddy

6mm Remington

Very Active Member
Mar 27, 2011
Western Montana
Don't give up on the calling just yet........... You might call three or four times before you finally get some coyotes to come in. Just a bit more patience and I think you will have some success. It would be especially rewarding to have your son with you when you got some to come to the call.
David

jjenness

Very Active Member
Sep 30, 2011
Lewistown, MT
Ok so I talked to a good friend of mine who is a game warden here in MT and he lined me out with our regs. Basically I don't have to have a trappers license and can snare all year long for yotes. If I have an incidental trap of a fur bearing animal then all I have to do is call him up and he comes to take that animal. Also had to buy snares with a certain poundage breaking point, so I got some ordered and we will see what happens.