CORNERSTONE GUN DOG TRAINING ACADEMY

THelms

Administrator
Staff member
Pushed pause on the training this week cause both my dogs picked up a bug and are shitting themselves skinny, not eating, puking and have zero energy... no idea what happened but working with the vet to figure things out. They looked better and had more spunk this morning, glad they've turned the corner.

Update for week 7 will drop tomorrow if Hondo is up to it!

Reactions: Winchester

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
My dog could use some of whatever that pup has. Hes getting fat from sitting inside in the air conditioning. Its just too dang hot to run him hard outside right now. WAY too hot for him.

• Haha
Reactions: THelms

THelms

Administrator
Staff member
Back at it this week! Hondo is past whatever was ailing him and is a ball of fire! Got him into some mountain grouse over the weekend while we were picking raspberries. He was unsure at first but figured them out quickly and scattered them into the trees. Exciting to see that bird drive!

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
My dog could use some of whatever that pup has. Hes getting fat from sitting inside in the air conditioning. Its just too dang hot to run him hard outside right now. WAY too hot for him.
Honestly mine is too. We have had to cut his food back as he was gaining weight pretty fast. Working a lab in 100 degree weather just isn't safe unless it's in the water. We do that when we can. Looking forward to cooler weather so we can get him back into bird shape.

THelms

Administrator
Staff member
Sound wisdom here fellas. Something I do is to get the dogs wet before I train... evaporation helps keep them cool in the hot weather.

Introduction to whistle last night went really well again. He slams to a stop and sit with just a tweet. Working on fetch and come as well. Smartest dog I've trained yet. Cornerstone also shortens the learning curve dramatically.

THelms

Administrator
Staff member
I like that idea of getting the dog wet to keep him cool.
Very good idea!!
Yeah, I've done that since forever but Barton Ramsey of Southern Oak Kennels says it's a necessity for him down South because they can't work dogs in the water to cool them off because the water temps are too warm. Kinda like swimming in a hot spring pool, zero cooling and the dogs can overheat even in the water. That's not an issue for us in Wyoming due to our waters staying cool.