Colorado Private/Public Property Maps

May 28, 2011
Colorado High Country
Colorado is a state that requires the hunter to know where the boundaries lie. However, I have found it very difficult to find accurate up-to-date maps of these boundaries. I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions on where to find good property maps. I have heard that the county has land maps that one can purchase but I have found maps such as those to be difficult to use around vast expanses of National Forrest.

Do you guys have any other suggestions? I have a couple spots I want to check out for the upcoming archery season and have a feeling it might get spotty with these boundaries, so I just want to equip myself with the best resources to make sure I am doing it legally.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
Hey Liv2HuntBigBullz

I'd recommend to go to www.huntinggpsmaps.com

They have cards that can be inserted into your GPS that will show if you are on public of private property. You can also buy a land status overlay for Google Earth. This is an outstanding scouting tool. I have this for 4 states and it has been an outstanding tool.

Jim

May 28, 2011
Colorado High Country
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I don't own a GPS at this time. Hopefully once my student status has passed I can get one.

However, what is the best land status overlay that you have found. I am definitely going to look into purchasing something of this sort.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
Call the guys at GPS Maps at (208) 477-6277. I have worked with the owner, his name is Rob, great guy. Tell him what you need. I'll bet you could just buy the overlay for Google Earth affordably. Then just download Google Earth which is a free.

Another option is to go to the county assessors website and see if they have maps on-line. In my county you can see land status online. This may be available in the county you live in as well. That would be free if available.

Also as "In God We Trust" mentioned, BLM maps are a good resource too. Sometimes these are a bit dated and were mapped 5, 10 or even 15 years ago. The nice thing is having a map you can carry with you in your rig. A good resource to purchase these maps is the Public Lands Information Center. Their website is:

http://plicmapcenter.org

Jim

dito

Feb 22, 2011
Alamosa, CO
I am glad they have the land owner info on the Colorado maps. I hope they come out with it for all the counties soon.

Jul 28, 2011
Fort Collins, CO
The BLM maps are the best for the most part. Different ones have different updates though. I have used them for many years in CO and have found very little discrepencies, only recently when I tried to hunt in Boulder County. Wont do that again!

Doe Nob

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Are you familiar with the map application on CO DOW site? The Colorado Hunting Atlas. Its the best one of any of the states I hunt in! I just zoom in my areas I want to go in and print maps out. You can switch from aerial to topo to streets, its pretty great.

Maybe I am missing something here, but I think that's as good as anything I've seen.

http://ndis-flex.nrel.colostate.edu/HuntingAtlas/