Colorado Left Over Tag List

Why not just hunt with your buddy and help him? Or, you could hang on to it hoping another might show its self in the coming weeks.
Im going to have him hunt that area. It's his first-time out so it will all be fine... was just a little worked up at first. lol, I thought for sure I had tags for both of us on lockdown. If he gets something, we can run a few miles south into an over the counter area and kick around for an elk for me.
But for sure I will be hawking the re-issue list to see if I can snag one.

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I signed on right at 09:00 and was just trying for a deer tag in an average area … the leftover list said there were nearly 50 available.
I made it all the way to the final page to order it by 09:10 (everything was very slow) but then it came back as none available … so I guess they all sold out in the first 9 minutes.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
The Web site seemed a little better than last year, where it got crushed and was a total mystery whether you should refresh or not. The Queue It service obviously helped a bit. It took me 23 minutes to get through, but I was able to get my tag. I chose one that there's a lot of leftover on (there's still some available even now) so I knew my chances were high. I don't envy folks rushing for the tags that had 1-2 qty left...

It's a little disappointing how many private-land-only tags are there. In many cases they're the same animals wandering around and it makes the system feel more chummy and "old boys network" driven. I'm not saying landowners shouldn't have some extra privileges since they're "invested in" to the state. (In fact, I am one myself.) But is it just me, or does it feel a little over the top that of the "thousands of tags left!!!" the vast majority are for private land at this point? Landowners aren't using all those tags. CPW is basically just funding a trespass-fee system there...

The Web site seemed a little better than last year, where it got crushed and was a total mystery whether you should refresh or not. The Queue It service obviously helped a bit. It took me 23 minutes to get through, but I was able to get my tag. I chose one that there's a lot of leftover on (there's still some available even now) so I knew my chances were high. I don't envy folks rushing for the tags that had 1-2 qty left...

It's a little disappointing how many private-land-only tags are there. In many cases they're the same animals wandering around and it makes the system feel more chummy and "old boys network" driven. I'm not saying landowners shouldn't have some extra privileges since they're "invested in" to the state. (In fact, I am one myself.) But is it just me, or does it feel a little over the top that of the "thousands of tags left!!!" the vast majority are for private land at this point? Landowners aren't using all those tags. CPW is basically just funding a trespass-fee system there...
Just out of curiousity. Does the landowner get a kickback like they do/did in Wyoming if they let someone hunt on their land?

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
Just out of curiousity. Does the landowner get a kickback like they do/did in Wyoming if they let someone hunt on their land?
There's a "Landowner Preference Program" has kind of a back-channel setup. Landowners get "vouchers" ahead of time that are like pre-issued tags that they can give out to hunters. You need 160 acres or more to qualify, and you get one voucher for every 160 acres you include in your registration. There's also Ranching for Wildlife where you're not allowed to charge fees.

Neither of those is really what I mean. I mean that it seems to me like somebody did some very successful lobbying to beef up trespass fee revenue. Look at this list below. If you're hunting public land elk, you need to specify cow or bull when buying most tags. If you're a landowner, you can get an either-sex tag for nearly any GMU with almost no competition because there are so many available:

Further down the same list, here's one either-sex public land tag that's actually still available. It's still available because in that area everyone knows by rifle 4 the elk will be down into the private ranch land by then and you're lucky to pick off a straggler. Compare that situation to the two private-land tags. Not only are there more available, but you also get a choice of either first-crack (P1R), or "oh yeah, they're in my west alfalfa field today, go get 'em boy!" (P4R).

Currently (12:30pm same day as the leftover sale, as I write this) there are zero deer tags left for DF027 or DM027, which cover GMUs 27 and 181 near Kremmling, a very popular area for hunters. But there are 78 DE017P2R / P3R tags left, which is a private-land-only tag that covers either sex, with a much wider hunt zone as well (18, 27, 28, 37, 181, and 371).

Note: Anybody can buy these tags, they aren't just for landowners. I'm not saying that. I'm just saying it does seem a little... friendly... how heavily subsidized the set of tags are that can only be used on private property. These tags also have very wide date ranges. Check out this one:

Yep, that's right, if you are willing to pay a trespass fee you can hunt that tag for three months. You get a month of rifle before anybody else even gets into the field.

I'm not necessarily complaining, and I'm sorry if it sounds that way. I'm just observing a trend here. Landowners pay a ton of taxes and I like to eat their food. I don't begrudge them a few extra bucks if they can make it. It just makes me wonder how many ways people abuse this kind of system. It feels too easy to have the best options be driven by "I know a guy," which makes it harder for new hunters to get into the sport, I guess is how I'd wrap it up...

Oh, I completely agree with that. It does seem kind of extreme how many leftover tags there are for private lands. To add to your sentiment, those tags probably were not forfeit tags like a draw area with points were.... those were what was left after a draw and they still will have abundance in areas guys have to apply with years worth of points. Not that they should give the public land guys more tags, but maybe get a better handle on the private land numbers. Doesn't seem like those will sell out nop matter how long they are on there.

And I also agree with you that landowners should have ample opportunity given the contribution made.

Thanks for the voucher info, I have used it in Wyoming before where a local guy let us head up into a draw he owned and in turn we signed our tags over when we got an animal and I think the state paid him $83 or something like that out of our tag fee for landowner access. Was a nice guy, and a good deal for him as he was too old to hunt. We gave him a few steaks too. So he made out pretty well.

Reactions: taskswap

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I think my buddy ended up w that high rifle tag. He is stoked. It was a on line sale.... Always crazy and easier to get one that is returned after this first day. Wife got lucky on a mediocre bull tag so we are happy.

I was at a machine #1 in line w wife #2 and the system seized up then came back on and wife got lucky. Elzipo for the rest of the crew who waited all night in line.

Seems more than a few guys got tags on line this year. I got to catch up on all the town gossip waiting in line lol. Over all fun day as usual.
ColoradoV, you seem to be the go-to guy for big bucks in CO. I hunted #43 4 times, and did take a decent (for me) buck with my MZL in 2014, and hunted it again last year. Unfortunately that hunt was impacted by a non-hunting partner with limited time, and by some horseback hunters who had no clue what they were doing. I had bushwacked off the trail a couple miles and was setting up on my favorite slope, with the thermals in my face, and the other hunters had pushed through the bedding area and sat on top of the hill-top all day, every day. Your bud can PM me if he needs any info. Rick

graybird

Feb 22, 2011
Colorado
taskswap,

Funny you bring up all of the "extra" landowner tags, when CPW just revamped all of the seasons because of hunters complaining about animals moving onto private lands with nothing to hunt on the public. Wasn't the reasoning for extending the days between rifle season were to facilitate animal movement back to public from private? Hmmmm :rolleyes:

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
To be honest, Graybird, I found that whole process super confusing to follow. I've read the 2020-2024 plan a few times now and am still not sure whether it was an improvement or not! :D