Colorado 2015 elk

minn elk chaser

Jan 6, 2014
Time to start the process once again. My son has 18pp for elk and we are trying to figure out what to do with them. Are considering unit 40. Anyone have info about Trophy Class outfitters out of Grand Junction.

MuleyHunter

Mar 23, 2011
Fruita, Colorado
Mike Lawson and his crew does a great job. They kill some decent bulls every year. If it were me living that far away and not being able to come out and scout a very tough unit (due to all the private) with 18 points I would be looking at a guide and outfitter also. There are other G&O services on the Park that have better success on bigger bulls, but cost much more money.

Quinton

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
Minn Elk Chaser, take Quinton's advice, he knows Unit 40 and 61 VERY well and was super helpful on my Unit 61 hunt this fall. I waffled back and forth between Unit 40 and Unit 61. Unit 40 will be a great hunt if you get the right person to hunt with. I just wanted to go DIY with plenty of public land.

minn elk chaser

Jan 6, 2014
We have considered unit 61 but won't be able to draw it for several more years. Would like to hunt it with a muzzleloader like you did Umpqua hunter. Are there other G&O that we should consider? We are open to other ideas also and any help is much appreciated.

CoHiCntry

Veteran member
Mar 31, 2011
Colorado Mountains
We have considered unit 61 but won't be able to draw it for several more years. Would like to hunt it with a muzzleloader like you did Umpqua hunter. Are there other G&O that we should consider? We are open to other ideas also and any help is much appreciated.
You/ he might be able to draw 61 archery or 1st rifle with 18 points. I personally would rather have the 1st season rifle tag over the muzzy tag.

minn elk chaser

Jan 6, 2014
Archery is not going to work as he has not been doing that for several years. We thought the rut would be better than the rifle seasons. We would DYI in unit 61 but not sure if that is the right thing for rifle hunt. We have spent 2 weeks over a couple of years in 61 so have some feel for the unit. Would like some help if that is what we decide to do.

CoHiCntry

Veteran member
Mar 31, 2011
Colorado Mountains
I hunted with my uncle during the muzzy season in 61 this year. The rut activity and bugling was unbelievable! We were into elk pretty much all day every day. We looked over dozens of decent bulls before he took one. I've never experienced elk hunting so hot in my life! Now here's the kicker... it was on the private ranch he works for. In the last few years I've hunted with others who had cow tags in the 1st season and we've gotten into some good hunting on public land. They were still bugling and there seemed to be a lot of activity. This will undoubtedly change year to year and location to location in the unit. Being able to shoot 3 times or more as far would be tempting to me if I had 18 years invested in waiting for a tag. I don't think you can go wrong either way. You might not catch that muzzy tag for several years though? Your looking at least 2 more years, maybe more if it continues to creep. I personally wouldn't use an outfitter but that's up to you and what you would be happy with. Good luck!

MuleyHunter

Mar 23, 2011
Fruita, Colorado
Unit 61 or 40

The 1st rifles season in unit 61 can be amazing with bulls still bugling and going crazy. When I helped my brother on his 2010 1st rifle season hunt in 61 it was a crazy screamfest opening morning. We ended up killing a very cool and heavy bull, he was the 2nd biggest in the group, with the biggest bull slipping out the back door like a wise old muley buck.

If you are still interested in hunting unit 40 with a G&O here are a couple more to check out.

http://www.2voutfitters.com/elk_hunts.htm

http://www.biggerstaffguides.com/elkhunts.htm

Quinton

Last edited:

minn elk chaser

Jan 6, 2014
Thanks again for the help. That is a great bull that your brother got. If we were to do unit 61 rifle could you give us a few ideas.

minn elk chaser

Jan 6, 2014
We are getting close to having to decide on what unit he will apply for. It would be nice to know if we drew Arizona before we pull the trigger on Colorado. I always enjoy the anticipation of drawing a tag almost like christmas time. Quinton I will probably pm you if we get a tag.