Can't Get Broadheads To Fly

Ranch Fairy

Jan 9, 2017
1. If you are willing to try something, increase the FOC of your arrow to 15-18%+ by adding 100 grain brass inserts. They are available at Gold Tip (if you're shooting gold tips). I currently don't shoot gold tips, I shoot Beman ICS and I buy the brass inserts from 3riversarchery.com. Traditional site, they always have them. The inserts are noted by size and shaft.

2. By adding FOC the point starts to pull the arrow. Your bow will slow down a bit, the effect is not that dramatic inside reasonable (40 and under) archery distance. Bow will be quieter, MUCH more accurate, and penetration will dramatically increase.

3. Then, paper tune. You tube up that one. Put simply, the paper tune will reveal, at release, the nock is not following the point and your fletching has to overcome fishtailing to straighten flight. its really that simple. The FOC increase will soften the arrow and the "pulling" effect stabilizes the arrow much more quickly. BUT, it still needs to start off straight from your release.

Brass inserts are a VERY CHEAP (less than the cost of 2 arrows) test. It works. Also, mechanicals will fail you. It's a heart breaker.

Simplicity wins in the field. A slower, more stable arrow that doesn't require perfect back tension and breathing cycle (whatever that is) is a winner, when you finally get a shot.

For all having broad head flight issues, please try it. You will be surprised.