Can't Get Broadheads To Fly

benjblt

Jul 5, 2015
So I'm having a horrible time getting my broadheads to fly. I had the old Muzzy 100 grains and they do not fly well. Then I was told that the new Muzzy Trocar's would fly similar to field points and be much more accurate. So I bought some. When I first took them out of the package one of them fell apart. They have this little screw that apparently holds the blade in and it was missing one. It also looks like that little screw was loose on a couple of others. I do not have an allen wrench small enough to tighten them and find it really annoying that this is an issue.

Anyways I found that they did not fly accurate. Everything I was told is that the blades do not need to align with the fletching's and mine do not. I'm starting to think this matters. Any thoughts?

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Ben,

Just my 2 sense here but it seems like the bow may be out of tune and or not tuned correctly. I shoot field points all year long out of a Bowtech 360. If I put my mechanicals in ( same gr) Rage Hypodermics they fly identical. If I switch and put in my Montec G5s I may have to adjust the overall sight up and left like an inch or two. But nothing drastic.

IMO if your shooting a modern bow with 60# and above draw weight with a normal man length draw......the switch from field points to these new mechanicals out there should have zero difference. I personally don't like the Muzzys as I've noticed blade movement in some of their fixed models. That being said I have a lot of friends who shoot all different Muzzys with zero issues.

Lastly I would double check your actual weight of your arrow (and correct spline) and all extras, just to verify you are not shooting something too crazy light or heavy. Inserts flush, arrow spins true and FOC. I like a double digit FOC. I think Archers edge APP is a good tool to check that. If all that is in line with the standards then its most probably the bow. Any helical on the fletching?

At modern bow speeds vanes, blades, fletching doesn't need to match up.

DaveZ

Dec 16, 2011
Cedarburg, WI
The term "fly like your field points" is over used and just a marketing ploy. With the right tuning, just about all broadheads will "fly like your field points" out to a certain distance.

The fixed blade broadhead on the front of your arrow acts like another set of vanes that steer your arrow and amplify any tuning issue you may have.

An example. Lets say you are grouping out to 50 yards with 4-inch groups with field points. You put on your broadhead and at 30 yards they are shooting a foot left and 6-inchs low. This is an indication that your bow is not correctly tuned. It is close, but not dead on. The up down can be addressed by making very small (max 1/16" at a time) adjustments to arrow rest height and or nock height until field points and broadheads impact at the same height. For left right adjustments, move rest left or right a very small amount until groups come together.

There is alot of trial and error in this, but once you are done you will see an overall improvement in your shooting with and without broadheads.

Good Luck!!

Dave

DaveZ

Dec 16, 2011
Cedarburg, WI
Ben,

Just my 2 sense here but it seems like the bow may be out of tune and or not tuned correctly. I shoot field points all year long out of a Bowtech 360. If I put my mechanicals in ( same gr) Rage Hypodermics they fly identical. If I switch and put in my Montec G5s I may have to adjust the overall sight up and left like an inch or two. But nothing drastic.

IMO if your shooting a modern bow with 60# and above draw weight with a normal man length draw......the switch from field points to these new mechanicals out there should have zero difference. I personally don't like the Muzzys as I've noticed blade movement in some of their fixed models. That being said I have a lot of friends who shoot all different Muzzys with zero issues.

Lastly I would double check your actual weight of your arrow (and correct spline) and all extras, just to verify you are not shooting something too crazy light or heavy. Inserts flush, arrow spins true and FOC. I like a double digit FOC. I think Archers edge APP is a good tool to check that. If all that is in line with the standards then its most probably the bow. Any helical on the fletching?

At modern bow speeds vanes, blades, fletching doesn't need to match up.
Slugz makes a great point I forgot to address. When I mention the broadheads acts like another set of vanes, if the broadhead is not flush to the arrow and straight, no matter what tuning you do to your bow, it will not fly straight.

G5 makes an arrow squaring device (ASD) that works to square the ends of the arrow before attaching the broadhead.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Try mechanical BH. I was having the same problem and this helped a lot. But the underlying problem is your bow is out of tune. I have since had help tuning and that truly made all the difference. I still shoot mechanical but they fly very similar to FP.

benjblt

Jul 5, 2015
Thanks guys. I shoot a brand new BT-X Bowtech at about 66#'s. My field points are dead on. So it is definitely something to do with how my broadheads are interacting with my bow and the arrows.

Also, my fletchings are not helical. I don't know how to tune my bow. Luckly I live right down the road from Bowtech so maybe they can help me. So far they haven't much.

theleo91386

Apr 20, 2016
If you're down the road from Bowtech, then disregard using mechanical heads, they're not legal in Oregon.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Thanks guys. I shoot a brand new BT-X Bowtech at about 66#'s. My field points are dead on. So it is definitely something to do with how my broadheads are interacting with my bow and the arrows.

Also, my fletchings are not helical. I don't know how to tune my bow. Luckly I live right down the road from Bowtech so maybe they can help me. So far they haven't much.
Lots of good info on Bow Tuning I think on the EF YouTube channel. If not there it's an article from a recent issue. My recommendation though is just take it to a good shop. If you want to double check before taking it some where check it by doing a paper tune at home.
May save you a trip. You can Google paper tune.

benjblt

Jul 5, 2015
Thanks guys. I took it to a good bow shop and my bow just need a little tuning, adjustment on the rest, and aligning my knocks with the fletching consistently. I will shoot tonight to verify it has been fixed.

swampokie

Veteran member
Jul 29, 2013
Haworth Oklahoma
I had the same problem. The only thing that solved the problem was mechanical heads. Wow! they blew my mind when I actually saw a broadhead fly like a field point. WASP jackhammer or nap spitfire have been the best for me. That being said I guess if ur in Oregon this isn't the solution for u.

Camelcluch

Jul 16, 2016
Just to pile on, you are out of tune or the arrow is not square. Shooting a mech only covers up a problem and does not fix what is really going wrong. The fix is not difficult in most cases. Start by checking your arrow. Make sure it is stiff enough and square. It is the easiest problem to fix. Then look at the bow/rest issues. Any quality shop should be able to help with that. The Bow Rack gets a lot of love if you are close to them. Good luck.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Thanks guys. I took it to a good bow shop and my bow just need a little tuning, adjustment on the rest, and aligning my knocks with the fletching consistently. I will shoot tonight to verify it has been fixed.
Sounds great. Let us know. It helps us all when we troubleshoot together and get the lessons learned. I love what Camelclutch said about "shooting a mechanical covers up the problem" so so true......that's why they market the "flys like a field point""

benjblt

Jul 5, 2015
Sounds great. Let us know. It helps us all when we troubleshoot together and get the lessons learned. I love what Camelclutch said about "shooting a mechanical covers up the problem" so so true......that's why they market the "flys like a field point""
Right. Well I shot last night with mixed results. I started off slow but seemed to get good results. Until one of my arrows decided to not fly well again. Then I switched arrows and broadheads and got mixed results depending on which one I tried. They did all seem to fly right a little if anything. This is driving me insane. I think I will just shoot the broadheads/arrows I will hunt with once each for the confindence factor (if they fly straight). I have to leave tomorrow for my big bull hunt in Mt. Emily.

Camelcluch

Jul 16, 2016
Not trying to be an a*# but some of this might be you at this point. Having an issue and losing confidence is hard to come back from. Simple things like watching the arrow can really effect your shot. It can be very hard but you really need to make sure you are using good shooting skills. Grip, stance, shot process and follow through all have to be good. Have you tried to have anyone else shoot your bow? I had to sell a bow because I lost confindence in it. Good luck. XXX archery is another option if close to them.

benjblt

Jul 5, 2015
Not trying to be an a*# but some of this might be you at this point. Having an issue and losing confidence is hard to come back from. Simple things like watching the arrow can really effect your shot. It can be very hard but you really need to make sure you are using good shooting skills. Grip, stance, shot process and follow through all have to be good. Have you tried to have anyone else shoot your bow? I had to sell a bow because I lost confindence in it. Good luck. XXX archery is another option if close to them.
I've thought about that. I definitely have lost confidence. I had some one video me as I shot today, a few minutes ago, and my form looked good and I shot 3 pretty good shots. I have had a tendency to watch the arrow and last night I was pretty psyched out. I feel pretty good now.