Canada Gun Ban!

THelms

Administrator
Staff member

More than just shotguns though... what pile of moose turds!

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Yeah I'm in the middle of figuring out what shotgun I can take. Was supposed small game hunt in Sept on my bear hunt with my 12 gauge but not sure that's coming now geeze. Most hunting rifles are good unless it like a 460 or higher from what I've been reading

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
If this is true, thats going to be a game changer for waterfowl hunters up there. Residents will still hunt with whatever they want to but non-residents trying to get in will be screwed at the border. Oh the madness.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Will definitely change the weapon folks take north to Bear Hunt. Either bow or 12 gauge shotgun are excellent tools....

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
If this is true, thats going to be a game changer for waterfowl hunters up there. Residents will still hunt with whatever they want to but non-residents trying to get in will be screwed at the border. Oh the madness.
good reason to just go elsewhere.

I have never had any wish to go there , so I wouldn't anyhow. this merely confirms the wisdom of my choice.

Canada ain't got nuthin I need!

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
If I were a shotgun manufacturer the very first thing I'd do is roll out 2 lines of shotguns, upland package with 2 interchangeable barrels with built in improved cylinder and modified choke, waterfowl package with 2 interchangeable barrels with built in modified and full choke, have options to buy the additional barrels with built in chokes.
If there's a will, there's a way around it.

It makes me very happy to have the 2nd amendment though!

Reactions: idcwby

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I'll use my Shattuck's Perfection.

I paid $36 for it at Cabelas on the used rack and that year I killed a turkey with it one year just for fun.

I actually took it across the border legally into Canada years ago.... they made me check it at the border and would not let me take it with me...long story....But when the Canadian agent at the border asked me to declare the value of the weapon I told them "$36...US"....the looked over the top of their sunglasses at me....lol

All joking aside (as this really isnt a joking matter) , this may not even be legal because of the bore size? Scary times for them Canadians.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Take it for what it is worth but Bill Blair who is Minister of Public Safety and is a Member of Parliament came out on Twitter and claimed that 10 and 12 ga shotguns were under the 20mm provision.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
The title of the earlier article was a real click-driver though wasn't it?

Great title. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it generated >$20k in ad revenue.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Take it for what it is worth but Bill Blair who is Minister of Public Safety and is a Member of Parliament came out on Twitter and claimed that 10 and 12 ga shotguns were under the 20mm provision.

I'd say it's not worth much... Does anyone happen to have a copy of the actual ban wording? I'd like to see it, everything I'm reading says that guns with a bore greater than 20mm after removable parts is banned, which would include 12 gauges.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I'll use my Shattuck's Perfection.

View attachment 30662
View attachment 30663

I paid $36 for it at Cabelas on the used rack and that year I killed a turkey with it one year just for fun.

I actually took it across the border legally into Canada years ago.... they made me check it at the border and would not let me take it with me...long story....But when the Canadian agent at the border asked me to declare the value of the weapon I told them "$36...US"....the looked over the top of their sunglasses at me....lol

All joking aside (as this really isnt a joking matter) , this may not even be legal because of the bore size? Scary times for them Canadians.
When I read the story, it said 10 & 12 ga WITH interchangeable chokes were banned, not 10 & 12 ga WITHOUT the screw in chokes. That was my take.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
Always thought a 3.5" 20ga slug gun would be awesome!

Maybe a 3.5" 20ga shotshell for birds will lead the way??

Are 16ga outlawed? maybe a 3" or 3.5" 16ga is another option...

seems ridiculous to outlaw 10 and 12ga shotguns IMO...

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
From what I have heard through the grapevine is that they will change a few things to make 10, and 12 gauge shotguns legal again.

But then I have been wrong before and I'll be wrong again

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
My booking agent for my hunt sent me an email back today that said the ban was for AR platform shot guns and street sweepers and that the standard hunting 12 ga shotgun ( lever, pump, or semiautomatic) was not included in this

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Here is was the exact email from my booking agent.

Dear Marcus:

The ban applies to military weapons. The 12 gauges in question would be something like the “street sweeper”. This has a rotary magazine and holds 12 rounds. Normal hunting rifles and shotguns are not a problem. This ban is for Canadian citizens as well as those coming in the country. We always told clients not to bring AR’s in anyways. Bolt action, pump, lever and semi auto hunting guns are OK.

I also reached out to the RMCP (police agency) and I'm waiting on a response