Burn Pits.

Jun 29, 2016
Coastal Maine
I am not a vet and don't know much about burn pits. I can understand that tons of nasty material should be destroyed but it just seems we have moved past fires at landfills here stateside but let lethal crap smolder 24/7 in a war zone. I should think there would be a big ,high heat state of the art incinerator that could be built and run by troops. From what I know really high heat destroys a lot of the nastiness. Asking why such a thing is not used. Don't say its too expensive. We have dropped a wad in Iraq and if we are going to send troops in somewhere they deserve our best effort to keep them safe. Thanks

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
This ties back to the bills running through Congress on veteran affairs. Huge burn pits in Iraq and Afghanistan of weapons, sensitive stuff they didn't want terrorists to get ahold of.
I'm sure some of it was sensitive material but they also contained common waste to include plastics, rubber, chemical mixtures, and medical waste. It was basically a trash dump that they burned to save space.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
They also burned human waste.

I spent my aerospace working career working around all types of chemicals used for adhesives, sealers, cutting lubrications, high strength cleaners and the worst of all composite fillers, adhesives and sealants. These all are known carcinogens. Early on we used no protective devices, air filtrations or organized waste material collection. But we learned and took corrective action over 40 years ago! Times are a lot different today. Why our armed forces didn't use proper protection of all their personnel is unforgivable....sorry they knew better.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Why our armed forces didn't use proper protection of all their personnel is unforgivable....sorry they knew better.
That right there is a big part of the equation.

In my former job we were provided all kinds of personal protective equipment for us to use when we were around hazards materials/chemicals. Some of us use all of the PPE, some used some of the PPE, and then there were those who didn't use any of the PPE. Some of the PPE was a pain in the rear to put on and actually work while wearing but we still were suppose to use it.

One person actually said that they only thing that they could do with the PPE while they were wearing it was to chew bubblegum and mess their pants.

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
I'm certified for the various PPE. Working conditions in those is downright tough at times. Gotta decon to take a dump, sweat fills up your pant legs, etc.

I'd rather see the stuff burning than some kind of mass giveaway like one president did.

The govt doesn't care about the military - we look at veteran health care if you want to debate it.

As for the environmental question - some stuff gives off chemicals when it burns - tires are an example. The fire retardant they use in fire fighting turns out to be worse for folks tho. Can't seem to win.

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Jon Stewart celebrates after Senate passes bill to assist veterans exposed to toxins
Bill passed after weeks of criticism from veterans’ groups and advocates including the former Daily Show host
Jon Stewart hugs Rosie Torres, the wife of veteran Le Roy Torres, who suffers from illnesses related to exposure to burn pits in Iraq, in Washington DC on 2 August.

Jon Stewart hugs Rosie Torres, the wife of veteran Le Roy Torres, who suffers from illnesses related to exposure to burn pits in Iraq, in Washington DC on 2 August. Photograph: Drew Angerer/Getty Images

Lauren Aratani
Wed 3 Aug 2022 10.34 EDT

After a week of anger and criticism from veterans groups and advocates, including the comedian Jon Stewart, Senate Republicans finally agreed to pass a bill that expands healthcare and benefits to veterans exposed to toxins.

Reactions: disabled combat vet

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
They don't say that the Republicans got the Democrats to get rid of all.all their pork that they had attached to the bill

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
Jon Stewart celebrates after Senate passes bill to assist veterans exposed to toxins
Bill passed after weeks of criticism from veterans’ groups and advocates including the former Daily Show host
Jon Stewart hugs Rosie Torres, the wife of veteran Le Roy Torres, who suffers from illnesses related to exposure to burn pits in Iraq, in Washington DC on 2 August.

Jon Stewart hugs Rosie Torres, the wife of veteran Le Roy Torres, who suffers from illnesses related to exposure to burn pits in Iraq, in Washington DC on 2 August. Photograph: Drew Angerer/Getty Images

Lauren Aratani
Wed 3 Aug 2022 10.34 EDT

After a week of anger and criticism from veterans groups and advocates, including the comedian Jon Stewart, Senate Republicans finally agreed to pass a bill that expands healthcare and benefits to veterans exposed to toxins.
Let’s hope that something actually happens. One thing to pass a bill, another to fund and “use” it.

Reactions: Gr8bawana

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
one of my best friends was in the national guard and did tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. he said those pits were the worst ever and they all dreaded when the wind took a turn for the worst. he said even if PPE was available it was so fugging hot you couldn't stand to wear it. he also mentioned supplies of certain things were also short so might not be available. he always complained about not having good boots and having to duck tape the soles back on because they never had boots available.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
why not just forget about the burn pts and hand over the weapons ?
it is what we always do in the end anyhow.

Jun 29, 2016
Coastal Maine
Sorry to not reply to this .I got a new computer and had to deal with my password and stuff. My question concerning burn pits is this. Why do we run these as we do. We stopped having smoldering dumps stateside in 1974. Why on earth would we do it I Iraq when we KNOWi ts damaging to people. We have had high tempatture trash burning power plants in the USA for years. I just don't understand why we don't have a better more secure cleaner way to dispose of millions of pounds go toxic garbage. I'm under the assumption that most or many toxic items are made harmless if burned at super high temps. Just seems like a problem that with a little effort would be far smaller. OK maybe not perfect but way way better than the 1950's dump. Anyone know if this would be possible and if not why. I'm not a high temp engineer but perhaps some of you are.

Reactions: kidoggy

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
the simple answer is we don't do it because human life is not sacred and never was.

cheap is preferable to healthy. and no government entity ever thinks beyond short term.