Broken Stuff

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
All the tire manufacturers say you should get rid of any tire older than 5 years. I say this is pure BS, just marketing so you will buy new tires faster.

On my travel trailer (a 2012 Denali, 26' length) I put a set of Maxxii tires (4) in 2014. I keep a log on everything I do to it. I ran 32,000 miles on these tires in 13 years and the other 3 remaining tires look great, lots of tread, no bulges or cracks. I keep them aired to max pressure (75 #) and the trailer is stored indoors all year except when it is in use.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I went to Canada 6 times hunting moose. I got 5 flat tires. One on every single trip up there except for my last trip with the wife.

I started taking 2 spares with me the third year.

Canadian tire took this American to the cleaner the first year I had to go there. Charged me 300+ dollars for a trailer tire....an average trailer tire at that....

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I keep a battery powered impact wrench and sockets in my truck at all times. It sure makes changing a flat a lot easier. I have only used it on my snowmobile trailer during a trip so far, but is especially handy since the bed overhangs the wheels and using a tire iron or cross wrench is the job for a young contortionist.

Reactions: Rich M

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
One problem that I have seen with a lot of trailer tires is that they usually carry a load rating for highway use according the the weight that they are required to carry..

I had a 16 foot car hauler trailer that I dragged around the western US hauling my toys, a ATV and a Volks Wagon buggy. When I first put tires on that trailer I purchased some 10 ply bias tires for it. While most of the 30,000 + miles that I dragged that trailer around were on paved roads it saw quite a few dirt and gravel roads with zero tire failures.

I sold that trailer and now have a smaller 10 foot one to haul my ATV, it needs tires and I plan on going to at least 8 ply tires on it where now the stock tries are only 6 ply. This trailer will see quite a bit of off pavement use.

On a truck forum that I am on quite a few owners who drag toyhaulers around have moved up to at least a E rated truck tire instead of a trailer tire just for peace of mind as they drag that trailer down the road.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I keep a battery powered impact wrench and sockets in my truck at all times. It sure makes changing a flat a lot easier. I have only used it on my snowmobile trailer during a trip so far, but is especially handy since the bed overhangs the wheels and using a tire iron or cross wrench is the job for a young contortionist.
I have one too. I also use it on the trailer leveling jacks. Sure a lot easier with one of these!

Reactions: mallardsx2

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I got a Dewalt 1/2" battery powered impact that never leaves my truck as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: RICMIC

idcwby

Administrator
Jun 23, 2015
Idaho
Cleaning the horse pen the other night and found the gopher tunnel with the skid steer.72957066200__A10DB883-6C49-40AE-915A-82384E7D258C.jpeg

Had to get the Toyota with the winch and than chain the Toyota to a post so it would quit sliding in the mud mess.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
No idea how or when this happened. But I do know that I just about did a face plant getting down off the backhoe today…..

Its always something.

Reactions: ScottR

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Atv began to slip when going up an incline. Replaced clutch plates and put back together. 6 times. Not sure what i screwed up. Going to yamaha dealer later in the week.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
That is a strange looking outboard engine. Took me awhile to figure out what it is, but I finally saw the prop.
It's a Gator-tail surface drive mud motor.

Ported exhaust port.
Gutted exhaust.
Mikuni carb with ported and polished intake adapter
BPS Roller Rockers with tig welded rocker stands.
3 angle Manley valves
Titanium push rods
Power Cam
Heads are decked .030.

It runs good as long as it is firing on both cylinders. lol

Mice will forever be my nemesis.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I used to race outboards when I was a kid. My Dad had a Mercury dealership and he built me what was called a "Pumpkin Seed" . It was a small hydro and a special factory made "super 10 hp " engine. Would about 25 mph. Pretty fast (back then) for a 10 year old!

I have a lot of mice in the rv barn and they chew on everything. I trap them to keep them a little under control and our cat does some too. Have to be careful around here as their droppings carry Hanta Virius which is pretty toxic.