Boom time or Doom time where you live?

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
Just curious as to how the economies are doing where you live. In north Idaho it is definately BOOM time.
Business is really good, unemployment is low, For the most part we have came back to February levels.

How is it where you are?

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
NW Wyoming is doing OK, but a lot of other portions of the state are still struggling. Mineral production reports are looking rough, even in sections that usually produce consistently.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Where I am at in Eastern Nebraska, some businesses are doing ok but there are a lot still struggling. Service industries in larger communities are way down. Most manufacturing is at 50-75% of where it was to start the year. The business I work for is at about 50% of what it was to start the year. We have avoided layoffs thus far but are close to cutting some hours and eliminating some positions if we don't see a post election turnaround.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Here in SW Colorado we depend on the natural gas industry, tourism and farming. Even with the Covid outbreak, tourism has been good this summer. Natural gas exploration/drilling is way down and farming is about normal. The impacts from Covid is less than 200 cases and 2 deaths. Jury is out on how we will do during this fall's hunting season. We depend on hunters for a lot of economic impact.

I'm retired and what I have noticed is a lot of things I buy have really increased in price. About the only thing that has dropped in price is fuel.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
In the part of Michigan that I live, paper mills are the largest industry. Things were looking really bad back in July and August but over the past two months orders have been picking up and the mills are cancelling some of their anticipated down time. They still are running slower than normal but at least they are speeding up. Lumber companies have been doing great.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The area where I am is mostly service workers for the ski industry at Vail, Beaver Creek, and a couple others. The good thing is that at this time it is just the mountain workers who are still working and it won't be until November when we really see what is going to happen on the mountains. Most of the restaurants around around here have gone to outside dining or take out. I drove past a street the other day where the town has blocked the street off and allowed the restaurant to occupy the area in front of their establishment.

Other than that from what I have seen it is pretty much business as usual.

dustin ray

Veteran member
Oct 23, 2011
Alta Loma CA
So cal in on fire and the sewer and water mains are bursting at the seams its good thing that there shit is our bread and butter

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I live in NE Minnesota, 22 miles from the nearest small town, and at the end of a mile long private driveway. I had a guy drive his UTV to my place yesterday looking for directions to a neighbors. So, I guess that constitutes a BOOM! Actually though for tourism on the north shore of Lake Superior, the tourists are overwhelming.....they can't really go a lot of places so they just want to get out of the populated areas. Some of the big mining plants are still closed, as well as a major paper mill in Duluth.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
I live in NE Minnesota, 22 miles from the nearest small town, and at the end of a mile long private driveway. I had a guy drive his UTV to my place yesterday looking for directions to a neighbors. So, I guess that constitutes a BOOM! Actually though for tourism on the north shore of Lake Superior, the tourists are overwhelming.....they can't really go a lot of places so they just want to get out of the populated areas. Some of the big mining plants are still closed, as well as a major paper mill in Duluth.
The paper mill in Duluth is closed indefinitely, it will only reopen if someone other than the current owner buys it and restarts it. There are some rumors about a potential buyer.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Here is my take on what has happened to the U.S. economy strictly from my limited perspective, talking to guys like you all on here and the partners we work with.

The economy was doing well before the shutdown and the usual economic bump from tax returns was about to start. Add an extra couple grand to a whole bunch of people who for the most part worked from home. Take away their ability to spend money dining out and low and behold you have extra money there. For about a month and a half people weren't spending that money then restrictions started to lift and people decided to spend the money on recreating and getting out of the city. Every tourist location I visited both west and east were doing just fine and most recreation businesses had record years.

The restaurants took it on the chin, as well as several other service industries. Groceries have gone up though, consequence of pumping cash into the economy and I have noticed that things at places like Home Depot have started to rise.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Went to my local booze emporium yesterday to buy a bottle of Baileys (my wife makes a killer cheesecake with it). Last time (3 months ago) I bought a bottle it was 21.00 & change, yesterday 30.00 and change....yikes! Other than gasoline/diesel, prices have gone up on almost everything, especially groceries.

Last edited:
Reactions: nv-hunter

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
I work for a construction supply company, we sell products to home builders in San Antonio and Austin, our industry is booming big time down here and the overall local economy is faring well.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Things seem fairly normal in eastern Ohio other than the reduced capacity in the service industry. Most businesses are working at 80%+.
I haven't seen any real hard effects on anyone personally.

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
The News states no one will be able to pay their rent buy the end of the month. So I guess it is the people renting that are doing so bad.
Here in Arkansas the situation is fair. I have noticed that spending has went way down after the $600.00 bump in unemployment went away.
Once the election is over I expect to see a turn. Just not sure which way depending on the results.

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
Went to my local booze emporium yesterday to buy a bottle of Baileys (my wife makes a killer cheesecake with it). Last time (3 months ago) I bought a bottle it was 21.00 & change, yesterday 30.00 and change....yikes! Other than gasoline/diesel, prices have gone up on almost everything, especially groceries.
Please post recipe in the cooking forum

Reactions: JimP