Bone pile disposal

Ricochet

Feb 1, 2012
Sherwood, Oregon
My hunting party has 6 antelope tags between the three of us. We are hunting private land. The land owner wants everything but the gut pile removed. I was planning on doing the gutless method. But that leaves bones behind. So, I'm thinking about putting the ribs and spinal cord in a bag until we can find a place to dispose of them. Can I find a piece of public land and dump the bones? What do I do? Thanks for any help or suggestions.

OregonJim

Very Active Member
Feb 19, 2014
Oregon Coast
Well the most legal and PC option would be to find the nearest landfill and just pay a few bucks.

My own opinion (depending on the local/fed laws), would be to find a remote location where folks don't have to smell, witness, or get offended by the leftovers. I am a hunter and I still don't appreciate those folks who give us a bad name by backing the truck up roadside and dumping bones and hide. Be cautious on the particular states policy on waste. Keep everything they say under the law.

I assume your not hunting here in Oregon since it takes a ridiculous amount of points:eek:

Ricochet

Feb 1, 2012
Sherwood, Oregon
I forgot to add that we will be hunting in Wyoming unit 23 by Wright. Oregon law says "Quarters or other portions of meat with no part of the spinal column or head attached". This is referring to what is allowed to enter the state of Oregon. Jim I will look into the dump idea. Thanks

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
Alot of states want meat you bring back boned out because they are worried about someone bringing CWD back and it getting spread to animals in that state, especially states that dont have CWD. I have not herd of leaving the bones on public land in the state you hunted in being a problem but like Jim said dont leave them by a road or somewhere where others will see them. I would guess the land owner doesnt want them left on his property because they would attract coyotes. Good luck on your hunt!

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
antelope are small, just pack it back to camp and deal with it there. no need to bone them out, to pack them out.

CrossCreeks

Veteran member
Mar 6, 2014
Dover, Tennessee
You might check with some of the meat processers, they usually have loads of bones & hides out back often in a trailer. I am sure for a couple of bucks you could throw in . Just a thought !

OregonJim

Very Active Member
Feb 19, 2014
Oregon Coast
Alot of states want meat you bring back boned out because they are worried about someone bringing CWD back and it getting spread to animals in that state, especially states that dont have CWD. I have not herd of leaving the bones on public land in the state you hunted in being a problem but like Jim said dont leave them by a road or somewhere where others will see them. I would guess the land owner doesnt want them left on his property because they would attract coyotes. Good luck on your hunt!
Thats a pretty good thought....... pile those bones up on some BLM land and sneak back in a few hours for coyote-fest!!!!!!

ithunter

Aug 20, 2014
Southern Indiana
The local warden I talked to said her preference was to leave the remains behind some sage brush...off the road and out of the ditches. Birds and coyotes need to eat too she said.

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
If you're hunting in Wyoming, make sure that every scrap of edible meat is removed before you discard the carcasses. Some wardens are awfully anal about wanton waste. That includes all neck meat & meat between the ribs and lower leg meat. I know, I saw a couple of non resident deer hunters ticketed for that very thing.

00BUCK

Feb 23, 2011
NorCal
The local warden I talked to said her preference was to leave the remains behind some sage brush...off the road and out of the ditches. Birds and coyotes need to eat too she said.
I agree with the local warden completely. No need to be packing animal waste arround. Leave as much as u can where u shoot it. Nature wastes nothing.

If you're hunting in Wyoming, make sure that every scrap of edible meat is removed before you discard the carcasses. Some wardens are awfully anal about wanton waste. That includes all neck meat & meat between the ribs and lower leg meat. I know, I saw a couple of non resident deer hunters ticketed for that very thing.
I have looked all over our WY G&F website for guide lines on what they expected to be taken off the animal. Haven't found anything definitive. Anybody know where to go for this? It should not be left up to individual wardens to decide whats enough or not enough taken from the animal. I have only lived in Wyoming for going on 3 years now and I'm still a little unsure of this and would like to know because I'm planning on using the gutless method elk hunting this fall if I score on one.

ssliger

Very Active Member
Mar 9, 2011
Laramie WY
I have looked all over our WY G&F website for guide lines on what they expected to be taken off the animal. Haven't found anything definitive. Anybody know where to go for this? It should not be left up to individual wardens to decide whats enough or not enough taken from the animal. I have only lived in Wyoming for going on 3 years now and I'm still a little unsure of this and would like to know because I'm planning on using the gutless method elk hunting this fall if I score on one.
“Edible Portion of Big Game Animal” means the meat of the front quarters as far down as the knees, meat of the hindquarters as far down as the hocks, and the meat along the backbone between the neck and hindquarters including the loins and tenderloins, excluding meat on the ribs and neck.

This is on any of the big game brochures in the important information section.

waddy

The land owner wants everything but the gut pile removed.
Please be sure to not leave the gut pile in a pasture or field. In spite of common belief, after the coyotes and birds have taken care of the edible portions of the gut pile, the contents of the rumen and intestines will stay right there until they have to be moved by the landowner to farm that area. Just drag it off to the edge of the field and behind some brush. Just so it is off the farmed area, even if it is just pasture land. It is a nasty, stinky job for the land owner to do and they shouldn't have to.