Bipod Help

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
Howdy all...
Bipod question for those who like to geek out on fractions of improvement. Do certain bipods really make a difference on long range accuracy? Are Atlas bipods worth the insane amount (imo) money? I’m not after quality of construction, that’s another debate. I am seeing if anyone has really tested rifle accuracy amongst the different bipod manufacturers. I’d also love to hear if anyone runs the unmounted tripod system seen on the Best of the West show.
Thanks.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I have used several different brands. The biggest factor to me is making sure the height of the bipod is correct for you while in a prone position. I'm 6'2" and have owned a couple that just felt too tall for prone. I like a 12-24" model vs the 13.5-27.

I have been just as accurate with the cheap one as the expensive ones as long as they fit. The rear support is the game changer. I just use my backpack to support the stock while the front is on the bipod. The mini tripods do work well though.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
My problem is that if I am down and prone I can not get a good sight picture through the scope unless the shot is downhill. Any level or uphill shot and I am done for.

Anymore I use a 13.5-27 just for shots where I can be sitting.

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
I’ve been using a Harris bipod S model and this last season I switched to a swagger hunter 42. It took a little getting used to it but it worked well.

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I use a Bog-Pod and shoot sitting and sometimes kneeling.
It doesn't seem like I can ever get above all the bushes etc when prone … so I just practice the heck out of sitting and kneeling positions and shoot that way.

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the insight. I’m using the Harris bipod now. I can’t shoot anything unless I lay prone. Maybe the country I hunt is just conducive to it. I have the super low one too 6-9 inch. Most of my shots are pretty far. I think I have taken a dozen animals over 500 yards in the last 5-7 years. Big open country. As Hilltop mentioned, rear support is huge for those long distance shots.
Thanks again. I’d love to see if anyone runs an atlas.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I have Harris on all my rifles. I have the short 6-9”’ up to the 20” that I use while sitting.

I also have issues with shooting log range without a rear support but I’m practicing and getting better sitting and shooting to about 400.