Binoculars Autofocus

huntingfellow

Mar 12, 2022
Hi there, how are you? I'm a new member here, though I've been lurking on this website for quite a long time. I believe the first time I stumbled across this website was when I bought my first binoculars and first telescope back in 2014.

Well, I found little information on those particular models regarding astronomical use. I see it's not really desired in the bird community because it lacks a short focus. They are more suited to be marine binoculars. I know there's no such thing as autofocus binoculars as some vendors claim them to be, and the truth is your eye is the "autofocus" mechanism behind it
lol.gif

So, I'd like to know if someone uses them for astronomy and to view distant objects and find them reasonable enough. Also, are they suitable for someone with tired eyes? I mean older people and people who have astigmatism, hypermetropia, and myopia.

Thanks!
waytogo.gif

Last edited:

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
I use my 10X binocs to look at Jupiter's moons every now and again. Whenever we have comet fly by and the rocket launches we seem to have down here every couple of weeks. Had great conditions on a launch about a month ago - could see details on some metal pieces that the rocket dropped after separating from the booster. Very neat.

Planning a vacation where we will use my spotter to look at some stars and such. The stars are really neat and not all of us live in places where they are easy to see.

Not sure about the set focus/auto focus stuff (had a telescope when was a kid - don't have a lot of stars that we can see here in the city), when we swap out the binoculars/spotting scope we always adjust the focus for each individual. Will also zoom out as opposed to zooming in when swapping between folks - nothing like someone bumping the scope and losing the star/planet/whatever.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I have a telescope that I do used occasionally. Lucky down here in SW Colorado to have great skies with little ground light. I also have an AP on my phone that identifies what stars and galaxies I am looking at, just point the phone at the sky. Kinda cool.

Reactions: Hilltop