Best hunting boots????

jbRiMP9

Jul 5, 2019
I have to but a new pair of boots pretty much every year and about halfway through the season my feet start getting wet because of holes that they get. I would finally like to find a nice pair of boots that will last me for more than a year. So what boots do you guys think are the most durable and comfortable. Thanks in advance for any opinions.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I've tried (and loved/hated) almost every style and brand of boot over the years, and I'm down to just two that I'm sticking with, each for a different purpose:

1. For most hiking, scouting, or hunting I wear Salomon trail runners. Super lightweight, great grip, and I'm not tired at the end of the day. The ones I have aren't sold as "waterproof," but they're much drier than others that I've had that claim to be. If it's not extreme enough for gaiters, I'm wearing these. I've waded through snow drifts and shallow creeks with them and stayed drier (and warmer) than anything else I've tried. These also have those new "speed laces" some shoes come with, so I can just slide them on without tying anything.

2. If the situation calls for gaiters, I go straight to my Muck boots. They're not ideal for 10 mile hikes, but I've gone 3-4 miles in them without blisters. They're heavier than a hiking boot, but NOTHING is getting inside them and I don't have to worry about my gaiters snagging on something. And again, there are no laces to tie.

I've gotten away from the traditional "boot" for another reason as well. I'm in Colorado and am often hunting in areas with mixed sage/juniper or near treelines. A lot of the time I find myself "squatting", trying to get low behind cover like sage bushes or pine blow-down near the edge of a meadow. Any boot will let you do that, but after 5 minutes, half/full-height boots get super uncomfortable for me. The trail runners just don't press on your ankles at all, while the Muck boots are so sloppy and flexible that it's not a problem. They're just more comfortable for me for what I do.

There's also some laziness involved. I get sweaty feet even in cold weather and even expensive Gore-Tex boots don't keep me dry. I love that both options let me slide off my footwear while I'm taking a rest, let my feet air out, and still be back on in 5 seconds if need be.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The problem with boots is that you need 10 different pairs for different circumstances from snow and ice to deserts.

If I am hunting in dry country with no chance of cold and snow I'll just wear a pair of Menidl hikers. They are uninsulated but waterproof and work great. If I am out in the snow then I'll put on the 8" Menidl Denali's with 400gms of insulation that I have.

I have also used the hikers down in Arizona on my coues deer hunt along with javelina hunts and they work just fine.

Both pairs of boots are on the + side of $200 but you should be able to get a few years out of both.

Reactions: Extractor

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I use to burn up a pair a year, then I stopped using them all winter for work. I do have a pair of Crispi boots that are pretty awesome, and a couple cheaper pair of Danner's for part-time special things like hot and dry Antelope hunting.
If your not doing preventative maintenance on them and using them 6 months out of the year for work like I use to, regardless of what you spend they'll be wore out sooner than they should be.

Reactions: dirtclod Az.

archeranthony

Dec 10, 2018
Texas
I just picked up a pair of Danner East Ridge. Real comfortable right out of the box. Will let you know more thoughts mid September. My other pair are Meindl but heavy insulated. Had these boots for 5 years and still wear them in the winter and fall seasons

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
yup I wear mine for work all year long. I pretty much always neglect maintaining them . I casn tell you for certain there is not a boot on this planet that will last me more then a year year and a half tops.

I have lately been wearing danner pronghorns . once popped for the kennetrek rich man boots but ,sad to say they held up no better then the danners.

kennetrerk is a nice boot but to rich for my blood. I just could not justify the cost . I doubt anyone had a better experience with em . it's just that when you pay $500 for a boot , no one really wants to admit the boot isn't the bomb.

Reactions: archeranthony

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
I wear Kennetreks there great boots. Everyone's feet are different, so it's up to you too try various brands that feel good on your feet. The top in boots are usually triple stiched and made in Italy. I've used Rockys and Danners in the past and they don't last me usually one season. If you hunt goats or sheep the low in boots won't last and your feet will be all messed up.

Bottom line is buying the top end boots is worth the investment IMO and your feet will thank you!

Reactions: ivorytip

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I used Danner's for many years and they were both durable and comfortable … although the comfort part has more to do with how the boots fit your particular feet than anything.
I'm using Zamberlan's right now and so far so good … they seem great.

Timr245

Very Active Member
Jul 21, 2016
Northcentral PA
I wear Danner’s, Canadians for cold and Elk Hunters when its not, and have great luck with them. I wear them strictly for hunting, keep the mud hosed off them and keep them under a good coat of mink oil paste. I had a pair of Quarry’s for work once that I wore November 1 - mid April, got 7 years out of them welding pipeline and building compressor stations which is mud upon mud. Tough to beat em for the money, IMHO. And yes comfort can be all about foot structure.

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
Kenetrek's X3, I've had my pair of mountain extremes 5 seasons now, two BC. Moose hunts. I apply Kenetrek's boot dressing before and after every hunt!

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I destroyed a pair of Danner Elk hunters in a very short period of time.

Not to mention they leaked like a sieve from day 1.

It was a shame because they where a really comfortable boot and fit my foot well.

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
Early season I use either lowa Tibet’s or Salmon gortex running shoes w low gators. I only use the Tibet’s of it is super rainy, a swamp, or if I have a huge pack.. Or I pry spend 85% of my time in salmons no matter the terrain.

Late season or on the snow it is the Tibet’s or kenetrek pac boots.