Best broadheads for elk?

Stay Sharp

Very Active Member
Oct 6, 2015
WI
Woodsman from 3 Rivers archery for elk, deer, anything. I used them for three years and they are fantastic. Its a great penetrater .

DanPickar

Mar 4, 2014
Wyoming
Each person should match their setup to their broadhead based on how much power you have, but I can't imagine shooting a broadhead with less than 2" of total cut diameter!

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I prefer expandable heads - 92 lbs of ke. These have been my go to for all big game for the past 10+ years. https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjonK7bsezvAhVqOLMAHZ0WDcoYABAFGgJ5bQ&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESQOD2zazGN7JuPgjx8om2f_zWe73aMUDxnivaTnt8IpUcCJC4ePahtXyTTlrhn7BxEqWGHKGJ08LZ3V3DT8n0pC0&sig=AOD64_3Or0Ovt4FRsO0Bt8dTIARy07wRjg&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwjK3Z_bsezvAhWWVs0KHWjlBmMQ9aACegQIARBb&adurl=

I have seen quite a few elk taken with a bow over the last 30 years. The broadhead never seemed to matter as long as the hunter got it into both lungs.

lukew

Administrator
Jul 1, 2019
Each person should match their setup to their broadhead based on how much power you have, but I can't imagine shooting a broadhead with less than 2" of total cut diameter!
Great tip! Thanks Dano

Stay Sharp

Very Active Member
Oct 6, 2015
WI
who makes a 2 inch cutting Diameter broadhead???

THelms

Administrator
Staff member
Rage in the Cage!!!!

Just kidding, I'll stick with my muzzy 4-blade.
Had some interesting experiences with Rage heads on elk, not a single one bad. That said, a buddy sent one quartering rearward through a bull. Got a lung, diaphragm, liver, all the guts and lodged in the bull's hip. Long story short, that bull traveled about 250 yards and died in his bed. Elapsed time from shot to recover was about 1.5 hours. The blades on that Rage were sheared off about halfway back but the bull didn't seem to notice. That said, I understand their shortcoming for elk and have switched to a hybrid design from Gravedigger.

Reactions: mallardsx2

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
No offense to anyone who uses an expandable.

But, with the 1,000 things that can go wrong during my bow hunt, putting something that could mechanically fail on the end of my arrow sure as hell isn't going to be the 1,001'th thing. Thats just me.

Been bow-hunting for 25 years killed a lot of deer and a couple elk/moose and I dont know of one for sure instance where a mechanical would have provided me an advantage. Actually I can think of several scenarios where they could have failed me...

Perhaps a super wide cutting diameter would have helped me with the bull I gut shot a couple years back. But I doubt it since I had some inadvertent help from another overzealous public land hunter and thanks to him that bull left the county to die on his terms. Also, if I had done my job this bull would have died within eyesight....So that ones on me.

Last edited:

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
I can’t speak for shooting elk, cause I’ve never shot one with the bow, but every year I shy further away from expandable. I’ve shot a lot of deer with expandables and fixed blade. A good shot is a good shot...period. But, every time I’ve had questionable penetration or something else go wrong....it’s been with an expandable broadhead. If I can shoot a fixed blade that flies true, I’ll continue using them

Reactions: Slugz

Kodiak

Oct 27, 2014
What head are you shooting Dan? Do you ever have penetration issues on bulls with a 2” head?

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Sharpest fixed blade I can find on the market. Slick Tricks are what I found to be the sharpest so far.

I'm really interested though to get some of Stay Sharpe's products and see how sharp I can get a box of old Montec G5 CS/SS I have at home.

Reactions: Stay Sharp

Stay Sharp

Very Active Member
Oct 6, 2015
WI
Sharpest fixed blade I can find on the market. Slick Tricks are what I found to be the sharpest so far.

I'm really interested though to get some of Stay Sharpe's products and see how sharp I can get a box of old Montec G5 CS/SS I have at home.
You will NOT be happy with the SS montecs for edge retention. Soft and gummy and not a durable edge. That is why they followed up with a Carbon steel version. While harder, its still a sintered (cast) metal so the grain structure is inferior when compared to monolithic/machined heads. You will be able to get them shaving sharp with the 344 guide but the edges just wont hole up to a pass through. Any hard hits and they are one-and -done. They have a good price point so if they are trashed after a single use, its no big deal.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Yeah thats exactly what I saw also. Used them for 3 or 4 years on turkey, elk and deer. I have probably 2 dozen in a box I almost thew away. Figured Id at least try to get some use out of em.

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
I prefer Magnus Buzzcut or stinger or any two blade. Honestly any broadhead will kill and elk if the shot is good, but some perform better under bad shot situations.