best broadhead for elk

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I've had enough.....and heard of enough issues with well placed shots utilizing expandable/ partial expandable broadheads on elk that I will never use anything but a cut on contact 3 or 4 blade.
Just my 2 sense. I'm sure others have had differnt experiences.

Elkhunter96

Jan 8, 2013
Bountiful, Utah
I've had great results with slick tricks and have had several pass through shots with them on mature elk. I just bought some QAD exodus to try out, they have really good penetration results from the tests I have seen and other bowhunters who have used them.. I also think highly of Wac'Em broadheads. There are others I am sure that are great as well, but I can't say enough how well the slick trick standards fly for me.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I've had enough.....and heard of enough issues with well placed shots utilizing expandable/ partial expandable broadheads on elk that I will never use anything but a cut on contact 3 or 4 blade.
Just my 2 sense. I'm sure others have had differnt experiences.
I'm part of the minority that likes them... but I shoot 90lbs of kinetic energy. I think the issues you hear about are marginal shots or people shooting them with lower ke setups. I personally have never seen an elk lost that was hit in the lungs with a variety of expandables through the years.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Resurrecting a 6 year old thread? Interesting.
I still like Ulmer Edges when I can shoot expandables, and Shuttle T Locks when I can't ;)

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Old thread. EIther way, Muzzy 4-blader gets my vote.

I hit that elk in the center of its back left ham as it whirled right as I shot and when I found it 200 yards later the broadhead was popping out its brisket....Figured that arrow went through 4-5 feet of elk...

But what do I know. I only killed one elk in my life.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
How many of you have changed broadheads in the six years of this threads existence? How many used this thread as a reference for what you want to try?

badgerbob

May 18, 2015
Eastern Oregon
I've switched broadheads 3 times in that period. I never referenced the thread though. Usually when I make a change in archery gear it is based on first hand experience of hunting buddies or the advice of my bow shop guy, who I trust completely...

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
How many of you have changed broadheads in the six years of this threads existence? How many used this thread as a reference for what you want to try?
I've used the same 2 broadheads for over 10 years with great success. I've played with several others a long time ago simply to run my own analysis. :)

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
On a side note, I like to look at these old threads and see the members who've left or are still around. Kinda fun.

cmbbulldog

Jul 18, 2011
I have shot a few different heads over the years, they all kill elk just fine... today, I just want something sharp that I have confidence in. I had the VPA’s and Montecs in my quiver last year.

Spudman

Jun 12, 2017
Idaho
Having mostly archery hunted in AZ (and a few other states) I've only used mechanical broadheads. Now I live in Idaho I have switched to Wac Em 3 blades. They fly well out of my bow and shoot fairly close to my field points. See how it goes when archery season starts.

Reflex

Apr 21, 2011
Lincoln, NE
I've mostly shot slick trick magnums since they came out. I shot my bull with one last year and got to see him go down only 30-40 yards away. I've shot a lot of deer with them too and have always had great results. It's hard to change when something works as well as it does. With that being said, I did buy some Ulmer Edges a few years back and will use them again this year for antelope. I like using mechanicals for antelope because of the longer shots and potential wind drift.