best broadhead for elk

BOHNTR

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
Lakeside, AZ
There is no "best" broadhead for elk........the one you're using (MX3) will make an elk just as "dead" as any other out there. Just make sure whatever head you use flies well with solid construction and you'll be fine......MX3 is exactly that, IMO.

dcestnik

Aug 31, 2011
Any fixed blade that is sharp and shoots straight. My personal preference its toward single piece three blades with a low profile like VPA terminator, montec, snuffer, etc. Muzzys should work, so do strikers, thunderheads, slick tricks or anything similar.

sjsmallfield

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Jackson, CA
There is no "best" broadhead for elk........the one you're using (MX3) will make an elk just as "dead" as any other out there. Just make sure whatever head you use flies well with solid construction and you'll be fine......MX3 is exactly that, IMO.
I couldn't agree more.

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
My words exactly!

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
I shoot slick tricks, but mostly because they shoot really tight, and I don't have any POI change from my field tips. I also had WacEm shoot like that.

I have yet to test the terminal performance of the slick tricks, but I would guess they do the trick slickly.

Joe Hulburt

Mar 14, 2011
Oregon Coast
I shoot slick tricks, but mostly because they shoot really tight, and I don't have any POI change from my field tips. I also had WacEm shoot like that.

I have yet to test the terminal performance of the slick tricks, but I would guess they do the trick slickly.
I tested one on a Roosevelt bull last season. He ran about 40 yards and tipped over backwards! It was a pass thru and the broadhead didn't suffer any damage. They fly straight and seem like a great product to me. Getting ready to order some more for spring bear.

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
I think any broadhead that is sharp, and most of all that you have confidence in that you can put it where it needs to be will do just fine. For me I shoot Magnus Stingers.

cnalder

Dec 30, 2011
Idaho
I'm with RUTTIN. Any sharp broadhead will work as long as you can put it where you need to. Some are definitely more durable than others. I would check for sharpness out of the package and be able to put on final touches. I haven't seen too many that are razor sharp. I check mine by seeing if they will shave hair off my arm.

The last 3 years I've been using the Muzzy MX-4. I have a love hate relationship with them but they do a number on an elk. Big hole, and durable. I believe I've killed two elk with the same broadhead. The hate part is that my bow has to be perfectly tuned for them to fly and group with my field points. Once thats done they fly great.

brooks

Aug 3, 2011
New Mexico
The last 2 elk I have killed I used Magnus 100gn Snuffer SS and neither bull made it 40 yards. A good sharp bh is whats needed and there are alot of good ones out there today.

Jul 28, 2011
Fort Collins, CO
Bitterroot,
What shafts are you using with your Slick Tricks? I am interested in these broadheads, although I was under the assumption that a 4 blade could disrupt the flight by interfference with the fletching. The more I think about it though the 4 blades might just be causing constructive interferrence if the frequency of the waves created by the broadhead add constructively to the frequency of the fletching. Or the broadhead just becomes the rudder instead of the fletching. I am interested how a front guided missile compares to a rear guided? I think the arrow shaft will have a huge influence on the outcome of this affect.

Does anyone out there have access to a wind tunnel? I guess maybe I could make a crude one here at home and run some tests.

simon11

Jul 11, 2018
What Factors To Consider Before Buying the Best Fixed Blade Broadhead For Elk?

1. Penetration Capability:
For an effective hunting experience, bone-crushing and penetration capacity are the most dependable factors for the broadheads. Hunting will be distressing without these 2 elements. For avoiding deflection, the ?clean cuts? are definitely essential while shooting the target since you do not desire the bolt to jump out of the animal.

2. Flight Trajectory:
No to mention, as described above the big blades are greatly affected by the wind so you must consider this before purchasing. If your nearly all shots are low range as much as 20 ? 40 yards then they are not affected by the wind significantly.

In that factor, Mechanical broadheads provide more straightness. At the time of spinning if the broadhead deflects then you could check out the alignment of broadheads or tune the blades by utilizing spin tester.

3. Sharpness Of The Blades:
The term ?Sharpness? in hunting explains the significance of itself. Not forgetting, you must ask these questions yourself before buying any heads are that: How long the integrity last? How merely may it be sharpened? Do blades remain razor-sharp after a number of shots?

4. The Blood Trails:
The blood trails left behind can be the important consideration. The ?fixed-blades? provide deep penetration however quite low blood trails and for sure, ?mechanical blades? possess a huge benefit over the fixed blades. On the other hand, several fixed blades provide good outcomes in that factor.

Judging by all these 4 factors, we have outlined a few of the great products. By determining your needs you can choose the Best Fixed Blade broadheads for elk which fit your needs more.
source:

kgundy212

Feb 16, 2017
Northwest Wisconsin
Muzzy trocar HB, half fixed half expandable did some serious damage to my white tail last year. So much so that I will be using for my elk hunt this year. It's all about placement however!