Bear Gun?

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
If I am hunting elk with a rifle I am packing my .340 Weatherby mag, plenty of medicine for elk and any bear.

Back when I was archery hunting it was a Ruger Redhawk in .44 mag loaded with some hot loaded 240 grain pills.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I hunt in CO and I'm not really worried about bears. My rifle is enough. I do stay very aware of my surroundings, and I top off my rifle so it's not empty if I need it in a hurry. To be honest I'm more worried about people than bears, but it's a risk I take.

If I ever hunt (or even backpack) in grizzly country I have a Super Redhawk in 44 Rem Mag that should do the job, but I'd reach for my bear spray first. I trust the studies on its efficacy more than the "my cousin's brother's best friend" stories.

Reactions: THelms and lukew

BKC

Very Active Member
Feb 15, 2012
The high plains of Colorado
If I'm in the woods with a rifle during a rifle season, then I just carry my rifle, which includes my muzzleloader. I don't archery hunt in the mountains anymore but during my summer scouting trips and packing trips, I carry a revolver, 3" barrel in .44 special. I'm worried about people more than bears because I don't hunt in grizzly country.

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
When I'm just hiking, mostly on the trails around Anchorage, I'll usually have bear spray and a Delta Elite 10mm. Lot's of bears there, some cranky moose too. I have only used spray on the moose and have threatened bears with it, but not sprayed them, yet!

If I'm hunting alone, it's probably my .300 Weatherby, 338-06 or .375 H&H.

When hunting with a partner, my 7mm-08 or .270, if they are carrying a rifle also.

I don't carry bear spray or a handgun if I'm packing a rifle.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
During archery, I carry a .40 with hard cast bullets. During rifle, I carry the same gun but loaded with self defense ammo. I do not regularly hunt in grizzly areas and as others have said, I'm more concerned with people defense than anything with 4 legs.

THelms

Administrator
Staff member
I spend a considerable amount of time hunting in grizz country every year. I carry a Glock Model 29 Gen4 10mm.
Probably the perfect choice! I carry a Glock 19 G4 9mm with Buffalo Bore Hard Cast rounds. I've got a Ruger Alaskan 44 mag but it's so heavy that most of the time it stays in the safe! I'd love to have a 10mm.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I dont carry a gun or bear spray when I am in the woods elk hunting.

I have not hunted in grizzly country but if I was hunting in grizzly country I would carry my bow on a sling and my SX2 shotgun with my extended magazine in my hand. I personally would not bother with bear spray.

If a grizzly is close enough to use bear spray, and the circumstances justified it, I have no intention on ever using said bear spray. I would be laying down a rate of fire unlikely ever seen before by man or grizzly......

Aint nobody got time for getting back-drafts of pepper flavored gas. lol

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I should add that I do have a Tarus tracker 5 shot .44 that I carried on my side while working in Alaska years ago with Cor-bon bear rounds. It is almost uncontrollable to shoot because the recoil is so ridiculous.

The shotguns that my employer had (That we had to qualify with) were 870's and they jammed WAAAAAY too frequently for my liking.....I took my chances and qualified and carried my pistol and I felt dramatically inadequate every time I saw a brownie track...I wanted my SX2 so bad all summer long...I remember the first time I saw holes those brownies dug in the tundra to get to the ground squirrels thinking, there is no way this pistol is going to cut it....no way....

I only pulled the pistol out of my holster once all summer and that turned out to be a cow moose that came charging towards me and popped out of the bushes 2 feet away.... and for the record I was shaking so badly (because I was pretty, 99.9%, convinced it was a bear) and was so freaked out that I almost shot her in the face....There wasn't a .0001 of an inch of play left in that trigger I assure you. lol

Bottom line, I would have felt much more comfortable if I had my SX2 fully loaded with slugs with me.

memtb

If I’m hunting the timber, likely my S&W 460 XVR (8. 3/8”), running 400 grain cast at around 1500 fps. If in mixed terrain....I’ll be carrying my .375 AI, with 250 grain TTSX’s @ 3130 fps. My wife will be using her .338 WM, with 225 grain TTSX’s @ 2950 fps.

If I get lucky with the handgun....it will be my first handgun elk. The rifles are the “only” hunting rifles we’ve used since the early ‘90’s.

I don’t carry a handgun when rifle hunting! The rifle is in my hands......not on my shoulder! memtb

Reactions: THelms

Kodiak

Oct 27, 2014
In high school, I worked at Cy's Sporting Goods on Kodiak. As Cy would say, "Better file the front sight of your 44 mag, so it hurts less when the the bear shoves it up your a**". So naturally I bought a 454 and carried that brick for a lot of years. After moving to WY and having a few run ins with the much smaller more aggressive bears here, I switched to a Springfield XDm in 10mm and have been happy with it.

Work recently paided for us to take the Tactic "Surviving the griz" course in Bozeman that Chris Forrest puts on. I will say after that course I will always have a pistol on my chest when bowhunting. If you have never seen bear spray sprayed into a 5-10MPH head wind it will open you eyes. It made it maybe 15 feet...maybe. At that point you are only shortening the time you will be chewed on because that bear is gona hit you either way.

Last edited: