Backup Plan for Big Game Tags!

mattdeere

Jul 27, 2013
Central California
Just curious who has a backup plan for tags you put in for and don't draw. I have some areas that I would like to hunt that are OTC or an easy statistical draw bow and rifle that I can fall back on in Idaho, Montana or Utah. It is difficult in Utah because the tag is easy to draw but never has any leftover so I have to decide ahead of time if I really want to hunt that area. I can hunt Idaho (Deer) or Montana (Montana the last several years has had leftover combo tags) archery or rifle OTC. I applied for Wyoming Deer, and plan on putting in for Nevada Deer and Colorado Deer. Draw odds are not very good for the last 2 states with 0 points. Just curious how many have a plan such as I do. Probably most of you have some type of plan just would like to know how you work it out.

Thanks, Matt

kesand72

May 5, 2013
Joliet, Il
I can tell you what I did last year, and planned to do again this year, had I not drawn for Wyoming elk.
My buddy n I really wanted to hunt Wyoming elk, so we put in for a unit with a good chance of drawing, but did not draw.
New Mexico n Idaho have later draw dates, so we put in for primo NM deer n lope units, then 2 primo elk units n a lesser unit with 46% ( I believe) for 3rd choice. We ended up drawing our 3rd choice elk n hunted the Pecos Wilderness.
Had we not drawn NM, it would have been on to Idaho with the same strategy!
If all else failed, plan Z was OTC elk in Colorado.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
I have a few 'back pocket' hunts for years I dont draw. OTC deer or elk in Idaho and leftover antelope or deer in Wyoming. I can always get a tag for 1 or more of those anytime. I have thought about OTC Colorado but doesnt make alot of sense to drive that far when I can hunt elk here in Idaho that are close enough to scout and I know the area some. Washington general tags are OTC and I hunt whitetails in ML season here. I hunted elk here this year too but Idaho has alot better general hunting.

NE69

Jan 6, 2013
Southwest Nebraska
Make better use of my home state deer tag. I don't work at it hard enough, at least haven't last couple years. Also scout WY couple times for when I do draw.

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
OTC's in OR, ID, WA, CO, AK or leftovers in MT, it seems like there are so many OTC hunts near home that I'm never sure which ones to try. It helps that most of these places aren't to far of a drive for me! Any of these are not to bad of drive for you either mattdeere. I am gonna throw a AZ Javelina in the mix this year too!(it's warm and my wife wants to go with me!) Good luck in your draws, and if not have a blast with your back up hunts. I think some of these hunts have been my most memorable!

Zim

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
LaPorte, IN
I've been applying for almost 20 years for 30-40 hunts/year and always been lucky enough to draw something. However, I always have a backup plan. For me Plan B is a Montana combo if there are any left after AZ final results post. Then Plan C is Colorado elk OTC in a unit I hunted next to and have researched for years. Highly unlikely I'll need either this year.

woodtick

Veteran member
Feb 24, 2011
Jim Bridger County, Utah
Haha I had a buddy from college just move to Wyoming. Now he is rubbing it in that he can hunt any region he wants on his general tag. Not to mention he's really poking fun at the price difference. What a jerk right??

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
Haha I had a buddy from college just move to Wyoming. Now he is rubbing it in that he can hunt any region he wants on his general tag. Not to mention he's really poking fun at the price difference. What a jerk right??
That is fine as long as he is scouting for a place that YOU can hunt 2nd choice every year;)

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
idaho resident. go to the grocery store and buy a elk, deer and bear tag. backup plan is draw tags for other states.

kesand72

May 5, 2013
Joliet, Il
idaho resident. go to the grocery store and buy a elk, deer and bear tag. backup plan is draw tags for other states.
Must be nice fellas! I don't even know for sure what site specific whitetail hunt I will draw here in Illinois!

DanPickar

Mar 4, 2014
Wyoming
I just got everything in today for Utah. I've got Colorado to apply for...I didnt draw elk in Wyoming so that leaves me with Montana and OTC Idaho!

hardstalk

Veteran member
Sep 13, 2011
vegas
My backup plan is to live vicariously thru drhorsepower. Im pretty sure he will be hunting majority of the rest of the year and that should suffice my need to acquire extra tags.